Cruise control intermittent flashing icon/fail-to-function problem solved! 2022 Tracer 9 GT

To try and fix this initially, my dealer replaced both clutch and front brake switch sensors under warranty but that didn't solve the problem that several owners also seem to have experienced. My cruise icon was still flashing at times, and though it seemed a restart would sometimes solve it, at least temporarily, i would experience half way through a ride where it was working (steady light, able to set cruise speed, accelerate, decelerate etc,) after stopping at an intersection of using either the clutch, front or rear brakes, the flashing would start again. So, after thinking it over, all compass points were toward a connection problem of some kind. I deduced that the flashing was an indicator that all connected cruise control switches weren't closed, which meant another switch must be the culprit. So I removed the right rear footpeg bolts and rotated the combined assembly out (see photo) so I could see the backside. And what I saw was road gunk, grime and dirt gumming up the little cylindrical plunger-actuator that penetrated the hole into the sensor for both rear brake light and cruise switches. I cleaned off the plunger and sprayed it and the hole opening with Caig's ProGold electronic contact cleaner. Then, on a 100 plus mile ride yesterday I activated, inactivated, set and worked the cruise functions and not once did it fail or flash. Yamaha should provide road contaminant protection to the exposed switch mechanism to prevent such contamination. I am going to see if I can fabricate some sort of easy solution guard/shield to help protect it, and if successful, I'll be happy to share here. This suggests the reason why the clutch and front brake housings are so carefully encased by Yamaha, to prevent such contamination from the elements. I'm looking forward to hearing from other owners with similar problems to see if this solution also worked.  

IMG_2893.jpg

Edited by t9fan
  • Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

The same thing happened to me several years ago.  The brake light switch is a very poor design, you can guarantee that the issue you had WILL happen again.

Replace the switch with an enclosed unit and NEVER, EVER worry about it again.

Spiegler Hydraulic Brake Light Switch

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, sirepair said:

I take it that this replaces the rear brake master cylinder banjo bolt, correct?

Yes, it threads into the top of the master cylinder and then you splice the wires into the current wiring and throw the oem switch away. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

I lost cruise for the same reason (brake light switch). Agree with @betoney... replace the clunky factory switch with a hydraulic unit. It makes for a much cleaner solution. They can also fail (😒🤚)... but it's a rare occurrence methinks.

• Thumbsup 2

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

6 hours ago, betoney said:

Yes, it threads into the top of the master cylinder and then you splice the wires into the current wiring and throw the oem switch away. 

Does it come with installation instructions?

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, lather said:

Does it come with installation instructions?

No but the sentence you just quoted is all that I did. 

"it threads into the top of the master cylinder and then you splice the wires into the current wiring"

I am far from a mechanical genius and figured it out just by looking at it.  The wires aren't positive or negative, they simply complete a circuit, cut the old switch off, splice the new switch in.

Thanks for the instructions. Sounds simple enough but I am paranoid about the wiring on these bikes. Yours is a 2015, not so full of electro wizardrie as the 2022.

• Premium Member

Biggest concern would be bleeding the rear brake after installation. But this is the kind of stuff a home mechanic should be able to do.

I'm due for rear brake pads and brake system flush n fill, so it would be a good time for adding one of these. I too had the pos original switch fail once.

Will likely go to BSS lines too.

• Like 1