• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 21 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Newby from UK

Hi, new to the 900GT ,  crossing over from a S1000XR, (due to auld age and infirmity). Liking the power delivery and torque of the Yam, but jeez there's no comparison between the BM's Brembos and the Yam's Nissin brakes!  First upgrade will definitely be improving the front brakes. Lovely machine otherwise :-).   How  to improve the front brake feel and strength?

• Premium Member

Welcome aboard mate!

You must be also missing the XR's far superior oomph?

Comfort wise there's not a lot to choose between the two.

Electronic aids also heavily favor the XR

To up the GT's brakes, start with HH+ pads (oem are wooden GG).

Next spring for some braided lines, I'm partial to Speigler's racing set.

Next find an R1 or even R6 Brembo radial front master cylinder. 

Finally, R1 320mm rotors bolt up perfectly with some 11mm caliper spacers and longer bolts.

A set of Bridgestone S22 or eq doughnuts and some appropriate suspension work help greatly with brake dive, control and feedback.

I did all of the above and easy 2 finger stoppies readily reveal the front ABS system's lack of sophistication...

Enjoy!

20230813_132046.jpg

20190102_174116.jpg

20240608_132853.jpg

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, mcconnac said:

Thanks for the info,  not missing the xr oomph much at the moment,  165hp is nice but only use it a fractio  of the time.....must be getting old 

I tend to agree with you.  High HP numbers sell bikes for those shopping by spec sheet numbers but in the real world I personally don't use the full potential of the 105-110hp that the flashed FJ offers.  Quality suspension is infinitely more important to me.

I LOVE sporty riding in mountain and canyon twisties and enjoy quick bursts of acceleration corner-to-corner or for overtaking a line of cars but that's mostly up to about 90-100mph which the FJ/Tracer can easily achieve in 3rd gear. 

• Thumbsup 4

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member

Using 90% is always said to be much more fun than having the bike yawning when you don't let your right wrist go more on average than 60% if that, if you're being honest.

However, as someone who appreciates multifaceted engineering refinement that offers rather than demands light it up power that you can also easily trowel around on for a week knowing it's there IF you want to use it, kinda like abstinence to keep rather than prevent a life, and it also has your 6 with an IMU driven nanny interceding, if you want, on your bumms or half bumms behalf, pun intended

And I'll be the first in line to smell the flowers on an enchanting little ride

now that I cant

I'd happily do it on a 125 Honda Trail 😆

https://hondatrail125.com/index.php?threads/top-speed.2485/#:~:text=For me this is more,happy with what I have.