2024 GT+ vs 2022 Tracer 9

So, after about a year on the MT10SP, I'm looking to trade it in and probably go back to the Tracer.  Just did a 2200km road trip on it and I spent the vast majority of that time desperately missing my poor Tracer.  Bike thieves need to all burn in hell.

Local dealership has a red 2022 Tracer 9 GT with 0 miles quite cheap, and also of course has 2024 GT+ (which are decidedly not cheap) models.  What are the differences now?  I know the new GT+ has adaptive cruise and a big 7" display, but I'm more curious if there are under-the-hood differences I should be aware of?  

I'm also considering a Tiger 900 Rally Pro (I no longer have my Tenere, and do miss offroad play) so I'm waffling about that too, but the deal on the red 2022 is quite appealing.  

• Supporting Member
17 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

Local dealership has a red 2022 Tracer 9 GT with 0 miles quite cheap, and also of course has 2024 GT+ (which are decidedly not cheap) models.  What are the differences now?  I know the new GT+ has adaptive cruise and a big 7" display, but I'm more curious if there are under-the-hood differences I should be aware of?

As far as physical differences, as you mentioned the larger (MUCH improved) TFT display as well as improved switchgear which is backlit, Yamaha also lists Gen III quickshifter.  All of the other differences are electronic.

https://yamahamotorsports.com/models/tracer-9-gt-plus/features

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I think from what I last compared specs to my '22 to the new '24, the engine specs are the same. As you've noted, screen is now consolidated to a bigger display vs the split setup, and the adaptive CC. With the adaptive CC, they've increased the rear rotor for this to 267mm from 245mm. Same wheelbase and dimensions. And with the new display and CC, they've redesigned the menu toggling to the left handlebar side. 

That's pretty much the majority of it but I'm sure I missed some other minor details. I wouldn't trade my '22 for a new one given this plus some of the feedback from owners' of the newer model and the phone app + Garmin usage. Very minor but seems the right proper sequence to get it working is needed.

I would get the red '22 if the deal is right. And if you have the extra $ leftover or more, get the Tiger too! 

One addition on the GT+ is the comfort seat.  I bought  the seat from the dealer for under $200USD.  I can tell you that it is worth every cent.  Other than that my 2021 is a great ride and I have over 11K miles without any problem except for a dead battery (bought an Ustart battery from Amazon for $27.00 and it's an AGM).

Edited by OldBikers
  • Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

I have a '21 GT and am considering a trade-in for the new model. I don't mind the split screen that much but the new gen quickshifter, the new thumb control and the adaptive cruise makes it tempting. The cruise control on the '21 only works in 4th gear and up and above 32mph. I believe the new one works in all gears and lower speeds. you can also use the quickshifter while the cruise control is engaged without it disengaging. The seat upgrade also looks more comfortable than the older stock seat. This would probably be the last bike I buy. This one looks like it checks all of my boxes. The only things holding me back are the fact that I have this one farckled out the way I want it and I really like the Redline paint over grey or white. If they come out with a red one I may have to pull the trigger.

• Thumbsup 2

I have 2300 miles on my 2024 GT+.  The screen is a bigger upgrade than one might think.  Very pleased with it, performs well in all conditions (yes, they f'ing solved it, apparently).  Adaptive Cruise Control is a joy to use on the "highly variable" interstate highways here in the North East U.S.  Haven't had a reason to test the Unified Braking System, and hope I won't, but glad to be riding with it.  Quickshifter has the expanded functionality, and it cooperates with the cruise control.  That said, QS is still quite clunky on the way down (up is quite slick).  I conquered the integration of Garmin Motorize (postings on this site) and find it fairly low friction now.  I read that the switchgear is vastly improved with the joystick introduction, but never used prior incantations.  I find them easy to use.  The included cases are easy-on, easy-off and serve well with a matched key to ignition.  Dragging my feet on adding the top-box, but the current bags don't hold more than an overnight's worth of stuff.  Wouldn't mind a bit more wind reduction at "decent" highway speeds, but have not yet read a truly compelling solution online.  Here in the U.S., you can have any color you like, as long as it's black and gray with gold accents.

• Thumbsup 2

QS downshifting remains clunky, now at 8500 km and it still feels like you force the gear down. But it still works, just have to get used to that system to be normal I guess.

Wind reduction is greatly improved with an extension spoiler on top of the windscreen, YMMV.

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, squarewheel said:

I have 2300 miles on my 2024 GT+.  The screen is a bigger upgrade than one might think.  Very pleased with it, performs well in all conditions (yes, they f'ing solved it, apparently).  Adaptive Cruise Control is a joy to use on the "highly variable" interstate highways here in the North East U.S.  Haven't had a reason to test the Unified Braking System, and hope I won't, but glad to be riding with it.  Quickshifter has the expanded functionality, and it cooperates with the cruise control.  That said, QS is still quite clunky on the way down (up is quite slick).  I conquered the integration of Garmin Motorize (postings on this site) and find it fairly low friction now.  I read that the switchgear is vastly improved with the joystick introduction, but never used prior incantations.  I find them easy to use.  The included cases are easy-on, easy-off and serve well with a matched key to ignition.  Dragging my feet on adding the top-box, but the current bags don't hold more than an overnight's worth of stuff.  Wouldn't mind a bit more wind reduction at "decent" highway speeds, but have not yet read a truly compelling solution online.  Here in the U.S., you can have any color you like, as long as it's black and gray with gold accents.

The Madstad screen solved the wind and noise problem perfectly. 

4 hours ago, 2NDCHILDHOOD said:

I have a '21 GT and am considering a trade-in for the new model. I don't mind the split screen that much but the new gen quickshifter, the new thumb control and the adaptive cruise makes it tempting. The cruise control on the '21 only works in 4th gear and up and above 32mph

I had a 2019 for 4 years, and loved it dearly, but if I was to list my greatest dislikes with it, #1 would be that #&@$ing scroll wheel.  Which my MT10SP also has.  Honestly, the thumb stick alone is a serious benefit in my book.  Also the 4th gear/50kph plus limit, the MT has that too and it's absurd - you don't even need 4th till you're at felony speeds.  

Good to know that from a riding standpoint they're basically the same, though, just a matter of some new QOL upgrades.  As appealing as they are, it's a $5000cdn price difference between the two, and I don't think I hate the scroll wheel *quite* that much.

• Thumbsup 2

You do get used to the scroll wheel but it's still finicky.  It reminds me of my Spektrum 3R Pro radio controller which has a scroll wheel and it's just as finicky.

4 hours ago, OldBikers said:

You do get used to the scroll wheel but it's still finicky.  It reminds me of my Spektrum 3R Pro radio controller which has a scroll wheel and it's just as finicky.

Yeah, the wheel on the '23 MT10 is pretty much fine (but not ideal) but in not sure if that's just because it's improved over the 2019 or if it's just years of practice.  But I will still be happy to see it gone completely

I also have a 19 gt with scroll wheel . I soldered in a push micro switch so I just use the wheel too go trough the menu with my thumb and confirm with my index finger . The switch is on the front of switchgear .