Tracer 9 GT suspension upgrades

Took my bike for a basic suspension set up and got the sag figures pretty much where they need to be but at max preload on the rear and this is just for my weight

I want to try and solve the light front end issue many experience at higher speeds

it seems to me there are no current replacement rear shocks which deal with the ESA electronically adjustable suspension..

So i assume the only real option for the rear is to get a more suitable rated  and better rear spring put in the shock? 

Also looking at changing front springs and possible lowering front end 15mm if the bike still does not feel planted at higher speeds

Any opinions / input on these ideas and whether likely to achieve what i am looking to do would be appreciated 👌🏼

When you talk about "light front end" ... can you describe more about this?  I'm interested in learning about the issue you want to address, how it shows up, what situations, etc.  I'm on a 2024 GT+, weigh about 150lb, haven't done any mods on the suspension.

At speeds of over 100mph especially when accelerating hard it feels light on the front end.. like front wheel is not properly planted and slight wobble

This is quite common I believe due to the not so great suspension on the bike

As background I have all the rider aids (anti lift / tcs etc..) set on 3.

i have removed the handguards (which I understand can catch the wind causing a little uplift)

I am using a puig sports screen, watch may not be ideal as I am 198cm and there wind is catching my chest, however I really don’t like / want a touring screen

i have had wheel balancing, chain alignment, head and wheel bearings checked at main dealer and all are ok

i have had a basic suspension set up and sag figures are roughly where they need to be, but with max preload on the rear

I weigh 210lb without riding gear.. I don’t think the standard springs are suitable for my weight

So you are upset at stability of speeds over 100 mph? 😬 The suspension is pretty good although the majority of Japanese bikes have too light of springs for masses of Euro and American riders, where the Euro and American bikes have stiffer springs. I had a wobble and lightness with the original tires, replaced them and it went away. These bikes do suffer from a light front end I'm afraid, and they would also benefit from a steering stabilizer and should come with one since being touted as a premium bike.

• Supporting Member
7 hours ago, bobble07 said:

i have had a basic suspension set up and sag figures are roughly where they need to be, but with max preload on the rear

I weigh 210lb without riding gear.. I don’t think the standard springs are suitable for my weight

As mentioned by @Ride365 these bikes come with fairly light spring rates.  I weigh the same as you and had a Penske shock built and they used a higher spring rate.  With correct springs and adjusted suspension I have never had a wobble or steering headshake.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

5 hours ago, Ride365 said:

So you are upset at stability of speeds over 100 mph? 😬 The suspension is pretty good although the majority of Japanese bikes have too light of springs for masses of Euro and American riders, where the Euro and American bikes have stiffer springs. I had a wobble and lightness with the original tires, replaced them and it went away. These bikes do suffer from a light front end I'm afraid, and they would also benefit from a steering stabilizer and should come with one since being touted as a premium bike.

I agree it is not bad for the majority of riders riding the bike, I am just heavier and whilst I do a lot of touring I also like to ride aggressively on roads :) I also agree steering stablizer should come with the bike, however I have been advised not to look for that to solve an issue which lies with the suspension

3 hours ago, betoney said:

As mentioned by @Ride365 these bikes come with fairly light spring rates.  I weigh the same as you and had a Penske shock built and they used a higher spring rate.  With correct springs and adjusted suspension I have never had a wobble or steering headshake.

That's good to hear, unfortunately unless I want to lose the semi active suspension (which in all honesty would not be the biggest loss) after market rear shock is not an option, and no manufacturers list one for the new version Tracer 9 GT.. On top of losing a decent feature I think you would also be left with an error code and possible issues with other IMU readings.. not been able to find any info on anyone doing / resolving this 

I did speak to a reputable suspension shop not far from me today, very nice chap who has done some work to this model bike before and he was frank in his honesty that just changing oil and springs may not give the best results or guarantee the planted from end (due to the semi active suspension controls constantly changing on the go) however I think If I was prepared to throw £1000 at it they could get the results I would be looking for, which quite honestly I probably will do.. this would involve possible valve and shim stack work also to sort out dampening

• Thumbsup 2

• 2 weeks later...

Can't directly address the T9 but on my 900GT I dropped the front forks 10mm and never felt like the front was light.  Rear preload was set to near max.  Front was bumped up but not to max.  I weigh 180 to 185 pounds without gear.  Did lots of touring and had the sidecases full and a 58 liter duffle on the rear seat.  

• Thumbsup 1