Shoei GT-Air 3 Cardo Edge Compatibility + Mini Review

jthayer09

• Supporting Member

Backstory: Myself and some others on this forum are big fans of the RPHA 70 ST helmet. But, the successor, the RPHA 71 is following the new and bad trend of having large empty cutouts in order to have integrated comms with Sena; this is also true for many helmets on the market including the one I'm talking about today: Shoei's GT-Air 3, but in Shoei's design genius this actually became a somewhat useable feature for mounting my Cardo, more on that later.

These integrated cutouts often are large enough that they block any reasonable method to mount other units other than those specifically designed for the helmet, and when left empty because huge holes through which wind noise can enter the helmet. If you look at the RPHA 71 reviews, this is a common complaint.

I refused to buy a helmet with the integrated comm "feature", So enter the LS2 Citation II for $270. In short the helmet is very very good for $270, it has possibly the most comfortable liner I have ever experienced wearing, and a super intuitive maglock ratchet system. However, the helmet shape is "long oval" an the extra length let it have more space under the helmet through which air would rush in at speed. Also more creaking than would like in my helmet, and the sun visor sucks. Massive airflow too, like massive to the point small bugs can fly into the helmet through the two front vents.

Left feeling disappointed I did some research and found someone online who makes integrated mounts that fit into Shoei helmets for Cardo units. So I bought the Shoei GT-Air 3 from Burnout Motor Italy, slapped a DOT sticker on it from eBay and rode around with earbuds waiting on my comm mount to arrive. Shoutout to Burnout: I placed my order on July 10, it shipped the 15th, it was on my porch on the 17th from Italy, crazy fast.

Best helmet ever. Literally the. best. helmet. I have ever put on my head. I don't think I have a single complaint in 800mi I've put on it. Comfortable, quiet (eerily quiet), stable tested up to 135mph, good to great airflow depending on windscreen position, a surprisingly good adjustable drop down sun visor with a buttery smooth mechanism; and it comes with a huge chin curtain, breath guard, and pinlock visor in the box. This shouldn't come a surprise to most. Shoei is quality, and I've had the QWEST and OG GT Air previously so I knew what I was in for. So everything is great, but... no comms mount yet due to production issues for Mr. Tubs Jackson. Losing patience I just decided to sticky mount the Cardo Edge, here's the process and results:

The cutouts for the speakers aren't anything special so I didn't take pictures of them, the main unique feature is the compartment on the rear of the helmet where the battery for the Sena unit would go:

image.thumb.jpeg.8f6b3799fdfc3fc350cf0168069d6496.jpeg

From the factory this lid/cover can be lifted and you will find a foam insert:
image.thumb.jpeg.b8e4aa2c834528f1b6681aa2ff7ba25f.jpeg

This is where the fun begins, you can tuck away nearly all wires in this compartment with some modification to the cover:
image.thumb.jpeg.c06b8368c9f1c18c546c07d1598628d4.jpeg

The cover has two tabs on the sides that would normally fit into groves on either side of the compartment, I cut them off with titanium scissors, the following pictures are what they look like after cutting:

image.thumb.jpeg.2c16e9be7d0e12b18ec8e29e7c41b42b.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.10cc4499c7dba9c19bd6c9bfa6059dc9.jpeg

Reinsert the foam block into the compartment on top of the wires, and now with those side tabs cut down you can now route the wires through the groves in the battery compartment and they won't interfere with the cover:

image.thumb.jpeg.605afdbe8c94e2f070223090a0f84f88.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ec27b40fa3b240aa921850799d9cd8a1.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.491911ab892457ee90254674375c3f01.jpeg

I suspect Shoei did some market research when entering the agreement with Sena for integrated comms and found that enough people have Cardo units that they can't afford to alienate them as customers. The helmet seems to have measurements that line up exactly with the Cardo edge; this had to have been intentional. The mounting plate lines up exactly with the sun visor switch and the back of the side spoiler with little room to spare, it's too exact to be a coincidence. Also, did you notice in the pictures above that the compartment is the exact flush width to fit the connectors from the speakers to the control plate when connected?

image.thumb.jpeg.75c7d8ffc0faa1c8e648048e76854f4d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.3335a7c4745497362d2d7db9edfc0d6d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.7afd531772469778cde56392b755ce4c.jpeg

Even better is that from the front the comm unit almost disappears behind the side spoiler:

With mounting plate only:
image.thumb.jpeg.f128bf9109467215c62336142b772b3f.jpeg

With Cardo Edge unit mounted:
image.thumb.jpeg.182e378efd182db2d4127e3695934b27.jpeg

I wanted to get this post up for people who are concerned about intercom compatibility and are considering one of the new Shoei helmets. Also, while it's not available in the US yet but you can order it from an EU vendor like I did.

Again, I'm super pleased with the helmet. Maybe if I nitpick I wish the top side-air vents were active instead of passive. I'm debating cancelling my order for the integrated mount adapter, especially since it might be more aerodynamic to have it positioned behind the side spoiler instead of off to the side. The side compartments for the integrated comm controls are already pretty tight but I might stick some neoprene strips in there and see if it cuts down some noise.

5/5, is a phenomenal product.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's downright archaic that cardo uses the 3.5mm connector. I hate trying to find a place for that in the helmet. The mic connector is one thing, but dang that big long 3.5mm sucks to hide in a helmet.

• Supporting Member

I like the idea of using a 3.5mm connector so people can connect earbuds or aftermarket speakers if they want. But you are absolutely right that the receptacle is ridiculous in size, and the mic connection is a separate wire so there's no reason a TRS receptor needs to be that big. It should just connect at the control plate like with Sena. Thankfully, this helmet has a neat place for it to go.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

Great writeup!

I admit that I'm a bit of a SHOEI fanboy but it's hard not to be when as you say - best.helmet.ever. (my opinion of course and others mileage WILL vary)

I've got the previous iteration in the form of the Neotec 2 and 97% love it for all of those same reasons you've stated.  The only 'gripe' that I have is that I wish the 1st detent on opening the visor was a lot smaller.  i.e. it would be nice to be able to just crack it open for some air on occasions.  Not a biggy and I mitigate the 'íssue' with a bit of rubber tubing that I split and pop over the edge of the visor so that it can't close all of the way.

Oh, there is one more 'gripe'- the price! 😮🤑🤑

Anyway, thanks for your impressions.

• Thumbsup 1

• 3 weeks later...

Nice mounting of the Cardo on the Shoei.
I have a Neotec 2 and I have the built in coms (bought the coms later than the helmet). I'm very happy with it especially how it all fits in the helmet.
Now I'm wishing that I bought a separate coms set (not helmet specific) as the coms set for the Neotec 2 is not compatible with the Neotec 3. My helmet is about 5 years old so I don't need to replace it yet but it really annoys me knowing that I won't be able to simply transfer it :(

• Sad 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • Supporting Member
On 8/2/2024 at 8:29 PM, dazzler24 said:

Great writeup!

I admit that I'm a bit of a SHOEI fanboy but it's hard not to be when as you say - best.helmet.ever. (my opinion of course and others mileage WILL vary)

I've got the previous iteration in the form of the Neotec 2 and 97% love it for all of those same reasons you've stated.  The only 'gripe' that I have is that I wish the 1st detent on opening the visor was a lot smaller.  i.e. it would be nice to be able to just crack it open for some air on occasions.  Not a biggy and I mitigate the 'íssue' with a bit of rubber tubing that I split and pop over the edge of the visor so that it can't close all of the way.

Oh, there is one more 'gripe'- the price! 😮🤑🤑

Anyway, thanks for your impressions.

Good news: the first detent is perfect for having the visor cracked for just a little bit of air to come in; the visor rests gently against the seal of the visor port, and lets in a little bit of air so you can get some flow around town. Second detent is also super stout and will stay open even at 65mph if you need it to.

2nd round of thoughts after a month of ownership:

The active chin vent is pretty great, it lets in a ridiculous amount of air - so much so that it noticeably increases the audible wind noise in the helmet above 60mph, I leave it closed unless putting around town or if it's 90F/32C out.

Also, installing the included chin curtain takes the helmet noise level down from "eerily quiet" to "I can't stand to be alone with my thoughts" - very effective.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

Awesome review! How would you say the internal shape compares to your older GT-Air? I used to have a GT-air for a number of years and then the front started developing a hot spot on my longish oval head. I now have an Arai Signet-X which is due for replacement

• Supporting Member

Fit is 99% the same. I think all 3 SHOEIs I've owned are the same internal shape with different foam or break in.

The foam on the new GT Air 3 has some more firmness on the cheeks, I remember the QWEST particularly having soft pads. Which is not a bad thing, just different. The sun visor is 1000x better than the OG Air. Also SHOEIs pads are swappable so if you get a hotspot somewhere just change out the pads for a thinner set and see if that works for you.