Steering damper

Anyone found a suitable steering damper for Tracer 9 (mine is year 2021)?

I did found some options for MT-09 gen 3 like this one https://www.motodracing.com/matris-yamaha-mt-09-steering-damper-sport-2021

but nothing specific to Tracer 9. The bracket is secured to the fuel tank.

Also found Hyperpro https://webshop-hyperpro.com/product/steering-damper-68mm-rsc-dark-edition/ but this one is mounted on the forks

Are you getting death wobble on your Tracer? That first one looks nice but looks like it could make getting to the ignition switch even more inconvenient than it already is.

Edited by Chowda

It's not a death wobble, but a wobble between 60 Km/h and 80 Km/h and I can't find a solution. New tires, Metzeler Roadtec 02, perfectly balanced. If I hold a steering I can hardly feel it but when I let go (both hands) it starts and then it goes away after 80 Km/h

• Supporting Member

You mention new tires, did you have the issue before the new tires or just when you got the Roadtec's?

Before spending $500+ as a band aid fix, I would first look at suspension and bike geometry setup, proper spring preload, fork height in clamps etc.  Are you carrying a weight on the rear of the bike in side bags or a top box?

• Thumbsup 5

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

+ 1 for what Betoney says.

It's a lot of money for a masking device. I would try and fix the problem instead.

Even try raising the forks 10/15mm on the tripple clamps to see if placing more weight on the front fixes it.

Not sure if your sag is set correctly, surprising how many people don't know, or don't bother to do it.

Maybe post what fixes you have tried to get a better understanding of what is happening.

• Thumbsup 2

5 hours ago, betoney said:

You mention new tires, did you have the issue before the new tires or just when you got the Roadtec's?

Before spending $500+ as a band aid fix, I would first look at suspension and bike geometry setup, proper spring preload, fork height in clamps etc.  Are you carrying a weight on the rear of the bike in side bags or a top box?

I didn't notice it before the tire change but that doesn't mean it wasn't there. I can't be sure.

I carry a top box and I get the same wobble result with or without it. I also get the same result with pillion on board. When adjusting the suspension for pillion I only do the spring preload on the back.

I also tried driving without windscreen - same result.

I never messed with front suspension (preload and dumping). I also never mess with rear dumping. 

Unfortunately, I don't understand suspension setup enough to adjust it, especially dumping.

Also, the roads here are going from silk smooth to very rough so I wouldn't know where to start with the setup.

5 hours ago, OZVFR said:

+ 1 for what Betoney says.

It's a lot of money for a masking device. I would try and fix the problem instead.

Even try raising the forks 10/15mm on the tripple clamps to see if placing more weight on the front fixes it.

Not sure if your sag is set correctly, surprising how many people don't know, or don't bother to do it.

Maybe post what fixes you have tried to get a better understanding of what is happening.

I agree it is an expensive masking device and I'm trying to fix the problem. My limited knowledge about the suspension setup is big factor here.

About the more weight on the front I also tried "lying" on the fuel tank and I still get the wobble between 60 and 80 Km/h. 

I'm leaving my bike at the mechanic today (he also does my tires) and we'll see what he concludes.

Picked up my bike from mechanic yesterday and I can say that the problem is 90% solved. He rebalanced the tires (both) and added 5 grams to rear and front.

Wobbling is barely noticeable now only at 60 Km/h to 65 Km/h and when I take WRS Touring screen, it is completely gone.

So to conclude, the problem was the combination of tire balancing and a bigger aftermarket windscreen.

thanks to everyone

• Thumbsup 4

• Supporting Member
14 hours ago, Cula said:

So to conclude, the problem was the combination of tire balancing and a bigger aftermarket windscreen.

thanks to everyone

Glad to hear that you got the issue fixed without spending any money.  With the $500+ saved by not buying the steering damper, I guess you can buy beers all around?  🍻

• Thumbsup 3

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***