sw-motech crash bars impinge on the OEM fog lights on my '23 GT

So my new crash bars (https://sw-motech.com/en/bike/YAMAHA/XT700Z/2019/DM07/products/protection/crash+bar/4052572237809.htm) arrived and I started installing them only to find that they conflict with the OEM fog lights (installed by Mr Yamaha when I first purchased the Tracer).

The fog light install looks to be right and the crash bar install really gives you no choice on the positioning so I have to think that SW-MOTECH never took the OEM fog lights into consideration. That's a bit surprising as they are usually on the ball.

Have others experienced this or have I set up the install incorrectly?

It'd be a bit of a bodge, but I could relocate the fog lights to the crash bars by hacksawing off a section of the mounting rail, extending the power leads and finding some appropriate mounting brackets. Work I'd like to avoid if I could.

Attached is a photo of the crash bars with the bolts barely started. Doing up the bolts results in the crash bar moving in towards the fog-light.

Any thoughts or insights appreciated.

bars.jpg

The easiest way to fix all this is to cut off the ends of the crash bar just enough to accommodate the fog lights. But be careful, left and right crash bars are not the same and the angles might not be the same so you have to do one side at the time.

Or find a way to attach fog lights to crash bars. 

Edited by Cula

10 minutes ago, Cula said:

cut off the ends of the crash bar just enough

Jeez Cula. Why have you thought of such a simple solution!? Now I just feel dumb 🙂 

That's a vastly simpler idea than where I was headed and I think making sure it looks symmetric on either side is a relatively easy problem to solve.

Thanks.

• Premium Member

WHAT CAN I SAY THERE'S SO MUCH TO RESPOND TO IN A LEWD AND VICIOUS WAY 

PERSONALLY WHEN I HAVE AN IMPINGEMENT I TAKE CARE OF IT RIGHT AWAY 

HOWEVER IF I HAVE INTERFERENCE THEN I EITHER DECIDE TO DAMPEN THE VIBRATION AND GYRATIONS WITH RUBBER 

NOT NECESSARILY LASTLY BUT IF I CAN'T GET WHAT I WANT FROM ONE IMPINGEMENT I FIND ANOTHER THAT DOESN'T RUB ME THE WRONG WAY AND STILL LET ME GET HOME ANYTIME I WANT. 😉 wink nudge nudge 

Posted (edited)
On 7/26/2024 at 5:15 PM, Cula said:

Please post a photo of your final results when you finish the job

That will come soon, but for the record, this is what I had to trim to clear the fog lights. Quite substantial.

In effect I've lost the protection that the bars offered where the fog lights now sit. Hard to avoid that but I don't think it's a very likely area to be needing crash-bar protection anyway, so it's all good.

trim.png

I should also add that the hacksaw cuts were on a curved section so that meant that the round plastic "bung" to weather-seal the bar had to fit into an oval bar hole which took a bit of persuading and I added a bit of silicon sealant to help keep water out since a round bung doesn't perfectly fit an oval hole.

Edited by ZigMerid
  • Thumbsup 1

Here's the end result.

Not entirely symmetrical but I suspect only noticeable to those who have read this thread.

I decided to add a bit of silicone to all six bungs supplied by SW-MOTECH.

Also, the SW-MOTECH instructions simply say "torque to spec" so you need the Tracer service manual for those details. I read that as 45Nm for the upper bolt and 60Nm for the lower bolt.

rightFront.jpg

right.jpg

leftFront.jpg

left.jpg

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 2

On 7/27/2024 at 11:52 PM, 2and3cylinders said:

No issues with my Givi case guards

Except that your Givi doesn't offer the front protection that the SW does, which works for all the Tracer owners who don't bother with the OEM fog lights. My situation is quite rare as by all accounts very few Tracer riders get the fog lights.

I didn't mention it in the OP, but the big appeal of the SW is the minimalist look which the Givi is most definitely not, what with highway pegs and the like. So frankly, the trim makes it yet more minimalist. What's not to like 🙂

Nothing wrong with your Givi, just each to their own and, in the end, the trimming wasn't that big a deal. I mainly posted the details here for future reference. My main issue was finding the correct torque specs as I mentioned earlier.

• Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member

No front protection? Yes they do.

Like a goalie coming forward out of the next to cut down the shot angle

Whose talking minimalist, only you.

I care only about coverage and survivability, function over form is the only criteria here 

Less, in this case, is not more.

Like a good cigar, more is more, and cooler.