39L Top Case - Interior Dimensions? (52S-F84A8-00-00)

So picked up a 2022 Tracer GT today. First issue right out of the gate is that my laptop will not fit in the side cases. It's only a 15" MacBook Air so not huge but the weird shape of the side cases means it just won't go in.

Looking at the 39L top case but after some googling can't find anything that lists the interior dimensions of the case.

Anybody have one of those cases and can confirm if it is large enough to fit a laptop / backpack? Dimensions of the laptop are 34cm wide and 24cm deep. Exterior dimensions of the top case seem to indicate it won't be a problem (51cm x 32cm x 43cm) but looking for confirmation before I order the mounting plate and top case.

Secondly why on earth would they have this warning for the top case:

Important: The Top Case is a stand-alone product and it is not recommended that it is installed and used with the available Yamaha Side Cases.

The majority of the time I will be riding the bike with just the top case but if I'm loading up for a week long trip I would plan on using the side cases standard to the Tracer 9 GT + the top case.

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, darryldale said:

Secondly why on earth would they have this warning for the top case

...because you could potentially maybe almost overload the bike with all that extra luggage capacity, so that's the CYA fine print on Yamaha's part.

• Thumbsup 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

11 hours ago, darryldale said:

Thinking I might go with the 50L top case instead 34B-F84A8-10-00

Won't be an issue carrying pretty much anything then......

I can tell you an HP 15.6” laptop and backpack will sort of fit in the 50L. It’s also a weird shape at the base and only fit if I removed the Yamaha inner bag. I don’t see how the 34L will fit it, though, but I have no experience. You may find, however, Yamaha has both top boxes out of stock, or discontinued, they have been for a while now. 

My Triumph Sprint GT fits the same laptop bag inside the inner bag with tons of room to spare. Not sure Yamaha deal but it was oddly shaped. 

20 hours ago, darryldale said:

Looking at the 39L top case but after some googling can't find anything that lists the interior dimensions of the case.

I can tell you a 39L will fit one heaping bushel of apples. Does that help? 🙂

1643990458_tracerwithapples.thumb.jpg.fe11074e64e51434227b85822d8997fa.jpg

Edited by roadwarrior
  • Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 2