Engine temp

What are your bikes engine temps getting to? What is considered high? The temps around here have been in the mid to upper 90s lately. My bike temp will reach just shy of 220 if I sit for any length of time at a red light. The coolant level in the resevior is good, it just turned 750 miles and had its 600 mile service yesterday.

When you turn the bike off and the fan is running with the key in the on position do you continue to let the fan ran until it goes off or just go ahead and turn the key off? Does it matter?

Edited by Chowda

• Supporting Member

My engine temps usually read about 100-110F above ambient air temps.  With a flashed ECU the fans will normally turn on at 190F, if the fan is running as I turn onto my street and into my driveway I just turn the key off.

• Thumbsup 3

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

On 7/15/2024 at 9:29 AM, Chowda said:

When you turn the bike off and the fan is running with the key in the on position do you continue to let the fan ran until it goes off or just go ahead and turn the key off?

I vaguely recall that on some vehicles the fan continues to run even with the key turned off. I assume that means the manufacturer has good reason for doing so.

My completely unscientific theory is that there is some concern about excessive heat pooling at the top of the radiator given that heat will continue to transfer from hotter parts of the engine to the coolant - which is otherwise no longer circulating.

Edited by ZigMerid
  • Thumbsup 1

On 7/15/2024 at 9:46 AM, betoney said:

My engine temps usually read about 100-110F above ambient air temps.  With a flashed ECU the fans will normally turn on at 190F

I'm sorry we're dealing with different units here (I'm in C-land). But your observation that it's ambient temperature relative is interesting. I'm not sure I observe that... but I'll now take a closer look.

I mostly find that the temperature is stable while moving but rises fairly quickly when at a stop.

The ranges I see are: stable while moving at 80-85C (176F-185F) and when stopped they go up to around 105C (221F) with the fan running. This is in warmish country with ambients typically in the 20-30C range (70-90F) but they can get higher.

• Thumbsup 2

Fan kicks on at 220f, off when it’s down to 210. When I’m moving at a decent speed it is usually around 180.

my Tenere (cp2) is the same. 

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
11 hours ago, ZigMerid said:

I'm sorry we're dealing with different units here (I'm in C-land). But your observation that it's ambient temperature relative is interesting. I'm not sure I observe that... but I'll now take a closer look.

I mostly find that the temperature is stable while moving but rises fairly quickly when at a stop.

I should have clarified; My engine temps usually read about 100-110F above ambient air temps while moving.

Mine is stable while moving as you stated but also rises quickly when I slow down and stop.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***