Post Big Monty (BM) Ride Reports

• Premium Member

For those interested in how one Ole Boy (OB = Me) goes about recovering from major surgery (see below), I will be posting up at appropriate times and milestones herein

spine (1).jpg

20240713_133923.jpg

20240709_074836.jpg

• Premium Member

FM +6 Days

Came home yesterday afternoon from nearby Hospital, against SWMBO and D1 advice!!

(D1 = Doctor #1 of 3, oldest offspring, Rodentia to Rodent #1; D2, MC = Middle Child, DJP = Doctor of Jurris Prudence & then, D3, LOO = Last One Out of SWMBO, declared Free Spirit, anti-establishment type who became DVM because didn't want to deal with humane patients AND their human supporting cast, it being there would be a much greater likelihood that the patients at least would be cute and sweet)

• Premium Member

FM was great, as anticipated body components left intact were severely traumatized and subsquently become the primary source of pain.

Prior installed Ti hardware removed, extremely precise bone removal completed and debris rinsed and vacuumed out, quadruple the amount and extent of hardware indicated by Nurosurgeon was installed, who then zipped me up with staples after an over 8+ hour procedure. Prior time estimate was only 4 to 6 hours.

Then I was relayed over to the Pain Management (PM) court, with the supporting crew varying daily, sometimes hourly with no coordinated short-term or long-term focused, detailed plan other than to have me take narcotics in mass quantities.

This approach seemed like it was inspite of me and SWMBO telling them about and showing them past records and reports, as well as relating prior surgical experiences that SHOULD have clearly conveyed that OB had a GI tract that COULD NOT tolerate opiods without having SEVERE NEGATIVE REACTIONS!!!

So it was not so much PM not giving me low-grade opiods at appropriate times and quantities but getting them to provide anti-nausea drugs at appropriate times and quantities!

FYI, Nausea is SIGNIFICANTLY harder to tolerate and control than PAIN; i.e., if necessary, leave a bit of pain and eliminate the nausea!!!

TBC, too tired and uncomfortable now

• Supporting Member

Glad to hear that you are out of surgery Bret, best wishes in your recovery.  I hope I never have to experience that.

• Thanks 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member

FM +Day 7

Per the thread  title

I went out to The Bret Cave (TBC) and lightly touched the saddle of the FJ, and checked Battery State of Charge (BSC) in the VTR.

Other bikes are in remote storage but I telepathically sent them well wishes and notices of acknowledgement of their loyal patience with me.

It's been raining hard and forecast to have a real feel temp of a very muggy 93F, so I couldn't have ridden anyway. 

Maybe tomorrow! 😄

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

FM +1 week

For some reason I don't feel up for a ride

Hopefully with my very carefully selected Amazon deliveries today I be in better shape tomorrow for a short shakedown 🏃‍♂️ 

• Supporting Member

image.gif.06cb6bf176a48f23a48b74272f6a45f1.gif

...heal up quick, brother.

• Thumbsup 2
  • Thanks 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Premium Member

Well, it's now been 1 week + 3 days since the FM

All should know all my comments about riding soon were made in jest.

If I'm back in the saddle by Mid - September I'll be ecstatic. 

Right now i'm just trying to manage my pain and digestion on an hour by hour day by day basis.

Definitely more difficult than I ever thought it would be.

I now realize how serious the procedure was because they had me in ICU for almost a week.

Hopefully, I'll lose a significant amount of weight during this process.And my better gear will fit me finally when I start riding again

• Thumbsup 4
  • Haha 1

Hope the best for you mate, make sure you do all the exercises the doc wants you to do.

Weight loss is very important for any sort of back issues.

And take your time, last thing you want is a premature re injury.

This whole getting old crap really sucks, I'll turn 62 this year but I still feel 28. My body says otherwise.

My wife said that I might be showing signs that I'm finally maturing, when I went to see a doctor a month ago about my really bad feet and wrist pain that I've been suffering for 2 years.

My daughter asked if I went to a doctor that has seen me before, my wife laughed and said that whatever doctor I saw last time would have died of old age years ago.

Edited by OZVFR
  • Thumbsup 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member

Slept 4.5 hours this afternoon  / evening!!!

Longest I've Slept in 9 months 

Immediately got on the thrown and did my biz cleanly

Then popped pills I Slept through 

Cold pack on L1~L5 stretch and now trying to chill as SWMBO sneaks in a bite to eat

This all is harder on her than me 

• Premium Member

I'm 70 going on 35

Instantaneous loss of a thought is my other major issue after physical ailments 

I keep a note pad with me at all times to record what I need to do then put in my smart phones calendar 

This process is about fifty percent successful

😒

• Supporting Member

Just catching up on this saga, Bret.  Glad you’re through surgery and on the road to recovery.   The too slow road perhaps, but still the road to recovery.   

The desire to get out and ride again is the proverbial carrot on the stick to work through recovery and rehab.  I hope you’re back in the saddle as soon as you are physically and mentally able to do so. 

Take care! 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 2