tracer 9 problems when cold or warm

• Supporting Member
7 hours ago, nutmix said:

Looks like there is something wrong with bike, and if noone else has had similar problem, no idea where to look. Ive booked it back into Yamaha dealer on monday, but from their clueless expressions when I explained the problem to them, not too hopeful.

Did you not have luck with cleaning the throttle position sensor as previously mentioned?

On 7/13/2024 at 6:57 AM, skipperT said:

Check your fuel pressure and gas quality. Tank have debris in it?

Check engine light on? What codes are stored? Did they even ride the bike? Did you drop it off for diagnosis?

-Skip

Hi, thanks for the reply. How would I check fuel pressure and tank debris?  There is no engine lights on. When I took it to yamaha dealer in Gibratlar and asked them to look into it, they said they could not see anything wrong, I assumed they checked the error codes. IS there a way for me to check them? i have the cables to check car codes, but assume bikes are different.

On 7/13/2024 at 12:33 AM, Ride365 said:

Be sure "ALL" tech bulletins have been addressed, and NO.......none of that is normal or the nature of these bikes.

Any suggestsions how I could check if tech bulletins have been addressed? If there were any recalls I suspect they wernt done as when I went to the dealer, they printed out the 3 services the bike had had in the first year, then nothing after that.

On 7/13/2024 at 5:00 PM, jthayer09 said:

This sounds like you have throttle position sensor issues that were common on the 2021 model. There's multiple posts about this throughout the web. I posted about his myself this past season. If you wanted to confirm, buy yourself a EURO5 OBD2 tool like this one and download an OBD2 app on your phone and see if you are any history of codes that were cleared to get rid of the check engine light, you're looking for P2135.

Clean the TPS with contact cleaner using the steps I detail in the post above and see if it fixes the issue, if not then replace it with the new 2022-onward SKU.

EDIT: I'd also raise hell about your dealer claiming a modern fuel-injected bike needs a 10-15 minute warmup. Name and shame so other users don't go there, leave a bad review on Google; honestly I'd reach out to Yamaha corporate for a statement that outrageous.

Hi, thanks for this really interesting post. That link you sent, the symptoms sound VERY similar to mine.  i have one of those diagnostic cables for a car. I think you mean I need to buy an adapter to a bike version?  Where does it plug into on the boke?  I looked through the links, but couldn't find anything about cleaning the TPS. I dont even know what or where it is unfortunately.  Is it something I need to find a service manual for?  I dont have any manuals unfortunately.  Thanks again for the help.

• Supporting Member
21 hours ago, nutmix said:

Hi, thanks for this really interesting post. That link you sent, the symptoms sound VERY similar to mine.  i have one of those diagnostic cables for a car. I think you mean I need to buy an adapter to a bike version?  Where does it plug into on the boke?  I looked through the links, but couldn't find anything about cleaning the TPS. I dont even know what or where it is unfortunately.  Is it something I need to find a service manual for?  I dont have any manuals unfortunately.  Thanks again for the help.

TPS = throttle position sensor, it's an electronic part the tells the ECU how open the throttle body valve is. The picture on my linked post shows you were it's located, it's on the right/brake side of the bike just under the frame, and above the cylinder heads next to the engine frame mount:

TPSTabandLift.jpg.f7f009710a9a95276e8a45fc6067b87a.jpg

Press into the tab at the green arrow, lift the connector up and off at the yellow arrow, my fingers aren't very long so I used two flathead screwdrivers. Once you have the connector separated spray electrical contact cleaner into both ends to give it a good cleaning; stuff dries pretty fast and is non-conductive so don't be afraid to damage anything, be as liberal as you want.

You don't need to run a diagnostic, you could just clean the TPS and see if it fixes your issues. But if you already have the tool and could find an error code it would help greatly. It's a red 6-pin scanner for EURO5+, you plug it into the wire with the capped red connector under the passenger seat.