how to remove fairing so I can rotate the handlebar risers?

The handlebar risers have a bolt underneath the top yolk that you cant reach with faring on. Anyone know how you remove faring on an Tracer 9 (2021)?  I havent found a youtube vid. The bike didnt come with a manual.

• Supporting Member

On the FJ09 you can access it from underneath by the front tire with a 3/8" universal joint and a few extensions.  When I did mine I believe I used 12" and 10" extensions.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, nutmix said:

Interesting, so you used the universal joint to "bend" around the corner.  Does this affect the torque reading when tightening back up?

Some engineers might be able to give a knowledgeable answer to this.  My experience is; I adjusted mine about 6-7 years ago and I just hit 84,000 miles yesterday and they haven't loosened up so the torque setting must be adequate.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, nutmix said:

Interesting, so you used the universal joint to "bend" around the corner.  Does this affect the torque reading when tightening back up?

Simplified, Torque is measure of force over distance (specifically, it's radius and angle). It shouldn't change the torque reading significantly unless you're super far off center from the original socket on the wrench. The video below is actually super helpful:

I wouldn't be super worried about being 5-10% off on the Tracer bolts, I've never had a torque issue on the Tracers except for the lower triple tree bolts seem to cam out easily but that's a materials issue.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, betoney said:

On the FJ09 you can access it from underneath by the front tire with a 3/8" universal joint and a few extensions.  When I did mine I believe I used 12" and 10" extensions.

I took your advice and got the Universal join and a bunch of extenders, and I can't budge it!  I'm guessing the local dealer moved the risers to the rear position for the short guy who was the original owner, and over tightened them.  I cant budge it at all.  Any more force and the nut will strip or the socket crack.  I could take it back to the yamaha dealer I guess and hope they dont break something.

6 hours ago, nutmix said:

I took your advice and got the Universal join and a bunch of extenders, and I can't budge it!  I'm guessing the local dealer moved the risers to the rear position for the short guy who was the original owner, and over tightened them.  I cant budge it at all.  Any more force and the nut will strip or the socket crack.  I could take it back to the yamaha dealer I guess and hope they dont break something.

They come in the rearward position stock. 

Mine were tough to do from the factory, pretty sure there is thread locker in the threads. It’ll come loose, you just really gotta want it.

Ah, if they come in rear position, then you might be right with thread locker.  Maybe I should spend some more time in the Gym before trying again!  Did you put thread locker back on after?

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, nutmix said:

Ah, if they come in rear position, then you might be right with thread locker.

The thread locker is on the stud threads inside the riser. On the steering head end it's a locking nut without factory thread locker (on the FJ-09 anyway). Use a longer bar for leverage to crack it loose.

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif