DUCATI SUPERSPORT 950 S

dazzler24

• Supporting Member

Someone described my bike as "industrial looking" on another forum some time ago.

Yesterday, after having a coffee at a favourite haunt and preparing to resume my jaunt, I found this thing of beauty keeping my Yammie company.

Comparing the two side by side I tend to agree with the original statement.

Too sporty a styling for me but the supersport is certainly very refined.

20240711_121246.thumb.jpg.97e5ed1d50505b0b6360c1900cadd117.jpg

20240711_121234.thumb.jpg.e7dfe9d2d18a16e8fdfb46f3e725f44c.jpg

20240711_121222.thumb.jpg.1e18cd73578c1936ac94299fbf474964.jpg

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 2

Nice red pin striping Darryl.

They are a bit insectoid IMHO, the Tracer, not the beautiful Supersport.

Tracer7-24.thumb.jpg.c75cbbbe033ef61a8e1ea10c849fdafe.jpg

Edited by OZVFR
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member

Form over function 

How does it çompare , ergnomically, air management, power, handling and braking wise.

I've heard and primarily read it's very good, though dollars per pound and reliability is a different story. The availability, quantity and pricing at stealerships and more importantly parts is a whole different equation. 

Whereas the local Yamaha dealer i chose was fair and generally good, they have only seen it since for warranty work.

Someday day like a Triumph,  Ducati and BMW again.  If it doesn't happen, I won't b e unfulfilled,

I do have a hat tor each and that may be satisfactory enough. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
6 hours ago, OZVFR said:

Nice red pin striping Darryl.

They are a bit insectoid IMHO, the Tracer, not the beautiful Supersport.

Ha!  Think I might have got the idea from a bloke about your size IIRC 🙂  Certainly the side stripes at least.

"Insectoid" eh!  Yes, not a bad analogy either.  I should have said that the industrial description applies to the earlier incarnations but I think the later versions are a lot softer in looks - and I mean that in a good way.  Not so angular.

Not complaining mind you. I'm very happy with the reliability and how the 2015 performs.

P.S. looks like you could eat your dinner off any part of your bike in that photo!  Glad I didn't have a close-up of mine!

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Form over function 

How does it çompare , ergnomically, air management, power, handling and braking wise.

I've heard and primarily read it's very good, though dollars per pound and reliability is a different story. The availability, quantity and pricing at stealerships and more importantly parts is a whole different equation. 

Whereas the local Yamaha dealer i chose was fair and generally good, they have only seen it since for warranty work.

All probably very valid observations 2and3 - but I just thought it was purty! 😉

4 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

Ha!  Think I might have got the idea from a bloke about your size IIRC 🙂  Certainly the side stripes at least.

"Insectoid" eh!  Yes, not a bad analogy either.  I should have said that the industrial description applies to the earlier incarnations but I think the later versions are a lot softer in looks - and I mean that in a good way.  Not so angular.

Not complaining mind you. I'm very happy with the reliability and how the 2015 performs.

P.S. looks like you could eat your dinner off any part of your bike in that photo!  Glad I didn't have a close-up of mine!

I can’t complain either, love that motor and the way it behaves. Who cares what it looks like when it gives so many smiles per miles. 
Mine definitely doesn’t always look like that, it’s been on many long muddy trails and horrendous roads over its life, still cleans up pretty good I think. 

• Thumbsup 1

Nothing quite like a ride on a modern Ducati......just sayin. I also rather enjoyed my buddy's Aprilia RSV 4R as well, and it was 100% reliable for him both on the street and all the track racing he did on it. Yes the Japanese machines are now on par with Ducati/Aprilia/Triumph/BMW/KTM and have always been more reliable than the Euro machines, but there is just something about the Euro machines and the riding experience that cannot quite be had on the Japanese variants. Of course my ultimate dream FUN bike would be a Kawasaki H2. ;)

• Thumbsup 2

8 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Form over function 

It’s an extremely comfortable bike, no wind buffeting, tons of useable power, handles like it’s on rails and the brakes are some of the best ever put on a modern motorcycle with great feel, modulation, power and feedback. So its function is actually more than its form suggests; add a $100 set of bar risers and it’s about as comfy as a Tracer is all day. 

Zero reliability issues with mine. There were some quirks, enough I decided to move on from it after 5 season, but they were addressed in the ‘21 refresh. Very few major failures on the forums, and were easily and quickly handled by Ducati. 

My Ducati dealer service blew every other bike I ever owned out of the water. The local master tech was the only person I’ve 100% trusted with a motorcycle and he treated mine like it was his own. Very, very soon you will find ALL manufacturers will be going to the required dealer service annually model, not just the Euro bikes so you better hold onto yours because they’ll soon be the oddball out. 

Someday day like a Triumph,  Ducati and BMW again.  If it doesn't happen, I won't b e unfulfilled,

I do have a hat tor each and that may be satisfactory enough. 

You’re missing out. Nothing like a great Euro bike, they have a certain something that the Japanese bikes lack, a soul if you will. If my Supersport had a cruise control on it I’d still own it, that was the one thing it lacked. I could have lived with the quirks but those and my bad wrist didn’t get along.

I liked my Tracer but never gelled 100% with it and it was an easy sell this past winter because I liked it but didn’t love it. The person that bought it put 1500 miles on it, just like I did, and has since sold it and moved on. I think if I had to have 1 bike, it would be a Tracer GT, since I don’t, there are better options for me. 

Just don’t discount something you have no experience with. 

Edited by miweber929
Spelling.
  • Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
12 hours ago, Ride365 said:

Nothing quite like a ride on a modern Ducati......just sayin.

On the theme of old and new, a mate of a mate is doing up an earlier Ducati 750 sport currently.

Looks like an interesting project.

image.png.89d815d84fd4d19eb4c5fbc8f4a91020.png

image.png.7fb130c75d302b5183f3e33306d5e665.png

• Thumbsup 1