Rear top bag

What are your suggestions for a soft tail bag? I want to be able to store my large full faced helmet (Shoei GT Air) in it. How many liters would you recommend for that? 

Posted (edited)

Cant say enough about how good this bag is, I have the sport model but unsure as to if the touring model can fit a helmet? You cannot lock it up and anyone could easily take off the bike, sure you want to have a helmet in there? Although I cannot imagine anyone stealing a helmet, but I do know it happens. Hard to beat a proper trunk case that locks on bike and the lid locks, I didn't think I wanted one on this bike......but so glad I did, I keep it on all the time and use the hell out of it. My Nelsonrigg tail bag just stays on the shelf in the garage now, think am gonna give it to my buddy who just bought a new Busa.

https://www.nelsonrigg.com/motorcycle-luggage/sport-touring/commuter-tail-bag-detail

Edited by Ride365
  • Thumbsup 1

I have the Yamaha seat bag and it expands to 36 litres. I have a Shoei GT Air helmet and it fits inside but fills the bag. 

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, Ride365 said:

I cannot imagine anyone stealing a helmet, but I do know it happens.

Unless I am on a road trip, I never have bags installed on the bikes and if the bags are on the bike they are full of clothes or trip related items. 

I may be the minority here but I don't know anyone or have ridden with anyone on group rides that store a helmet in a side bags or top case, the helmet always goes on the mirror if we stop for lunch or bathroom break. 

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

My bag will be full of clothes on a trip, I installed a helmet lock on the clutch side on the rail under the pilion seat.

• Thumbsup 1

2 hours ago, betoney said:

Unless I am on a road trip, I never have bags installed on the bikes and if the bags are on the bike they are full of clothes or trip related items. 

I may be the minority here but I don't know anyone or have ridden with anyone on group rides that store a helmet in a side bags or top case, the helmet always goes on the mirror if we stop for lunch or bathroom break. 

Yup helmet goes with me most the time, or hang on my mirror like you mentioned "situation dependent".

• Thumbsup 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
On 7/8/2024 at 6:25 AM, Ride365 said:

Cant say enough about how good this bag is, I have the sport model but unsure as to if the touring model can fit a helmet? You cannot lock it up and anyone could easily take off the bike, sure you want to have a helmet in there? Although I cannot imagine anyone stealing a helmet, but I do know it happens. Hard to beat a proper trunk case that locks on bike and the lid locks, I didn't think I wanted one on this bike......but so glad I did, I keep it on all the time and use the hell out of it. My Nelsonrigg tail bag just stays on the shelf in the garage now, think am gonna give it to my buddy who just bought a new Busa.

https://www.nelsonrigg.com/motorcycle-luggage/sport-touring/commuter-tail-bag-detail

I ordered the larger Nelson Rigg touring version of this bag from Amazon monday. During their 'prime days' event I got it for $96. It should be here Thursday. 

Edited by Chowda

• Premium Member

I got the original version which is now. The sport probably 10 years and they're nice. And if you lay them out right there. Okay. I put a stiffner plate under them.

20161117_112700.jpg

20170621_164348.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/8/2024 at 6:25 AM, Ride365 said:

I ordered the large NR Commuter Touring bag from Amazon. Got it on Thursday and it looks great IMO. I put my Large Shoei Air GT in it without any issues. 

Edited by Chowda

Another vote for the Nelson Rigg tail bag.  Mine stays on the pillion seat at all times.  Tire repair kit, water, a few basic tools, something to clean the bugs off my face shield, etc.  When I hit the road for a few days I install the cases.  When I reach my destination, the cases come off for exploration if I am riding out from a single location for a couple days.  

• Thumbsup 2

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

On 7/20/2024 at 1:29 AM, 2and3cylinders said:

And then there is a hard top case as recommended as do I really 

20160714_184535.jpg

Just to be clear. These tail bags can be mounted on the rear seat such that they don't impede the use of a top box/top case? Once my top box is full I resort to panniers but there are situation where panniers are overkill and a tail bag would be better for that small additional cargo space.

• Thumbsup 1