I mostly run ester Motul 7100 and have zero oil usage far as I can tell between 4K mile intervals, and I ride plenty HARD.......and the shifting is butter clear up to the change, and engine/clutch mechanical noise is practically non existent. Yup it is expensive, and yup it is worth every cent IMHO. Much love for the Mobil 1 4T as well, these are my 2 favorite and most used "synthetic" oils. Looks like Motul has a new line of oil now, may have to give it a try. 😎

https://www.motul.com/en-US/products/16505?product=MOTUL+NGEN+7+10W-40+4T

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
5 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

I see a six pack on Amazon for 55 bucks or only 9.16 per quart or liter but it's 10w50

I just found 10W-40 for 59 bucks for 9.83 a liter 

Is the latter what you get B-man?

You going for a ride today

Yes, 10w40.  I get the six pack either on Amazon or Ebay depending if it is out of stock or on sale.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I care about your personal opnion jthayer, especially after writing what I consider super good information, about the ma2 and synthetic base.

• Thumbsup 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks again everyone . Good all around coverage on the subjec. I have used the Mobil 1 4 t myself a lot. And motul 7100 a lot. I wonder if that new motul stuff is any different, I see now that it is not synthetic base. was glad to hear about the 10w 40 being most preferred weight   

Edited by MikeD
  • Thumbsup 1

7 hours ago, MikeD said:

Thanks again everyone . Good all around coverage on the subjec. I have used the Mobil 1 4 t myself a lot. And motul 7100 a lot. I wonder if that new motul stuff is any different, I see now that it is not synthetic base. was glad to hear about the 10w 40 being most preferred weight   

Cannot go wrong with either of course, and I would stick with 10W40 where you are as well, a 50 weight IMHO is for big piston air cooled twins "likely still overkill". Also that new Motul does appear to have plenty of ester in it, but I will likely stick with the 7100.

Description

MOTUL NGEN 7 is a best-in-class 4-stroke motor oil based on a combination of finest virgin base oils and additives blended with synthetic esters and high quality regenerated base oils.Suitable for any type of high performance street or off-road motorcycle with 4-stroke engine, with or without integrated gearbox, wet or dry clutch. Perfect for motorcycles with exhaust after-treatment systems such as catalytic converters or secondary air injection.Designed for severe conditions in sport and adventure riding.Other applications: ATVs, UTVs, SxS, personal watercraft (PWC) or snowmobiles depending on manufacturer’s viscosity recommendation.

Think that new motul ngen uses recycled oil in the mix.  I'll wait on feedback before giving it a try and ill continue using motul 5100 10w40 which I've used for years in all my bikes without issues. 

Posted (edited)

A lot of people miss-interpret the meaning of the viscosity numbers. 
10W50 means it has the viscosity of a 10 weight oil when cold, but behaves like a 50 when hot. 
The problem with going to  a 5W oil on a motor that is specified a 10W, is that it might be too thin for the oil pump to operate at the required pressure. 

IMG_5929.thumb.jpeg.9ca0c60a708f0a359e2d7e2451c4b5f6.jpeg

10W oil is specified down to -10*C or 10*F. No 5W is shown in the manual specs. 
40W is only good to 40*C, in summer I often ride above this. In a memorable 3 day trip a few years ago it was 46C and I was fanging the bike for over 3 hours straight. 
10W50 is still a 10W oil, nothing to do with big or small motors. 
Everyone has different opinions, and I don’t think you would damage the motor by using 5W40, but I don’t see the point. 
Some of the top oils are however stupidly expensive, they mainly promise some special ingredient that is secret and only they have the recipe. 
I just buy whatever is on special from any of the known brands. 
Have never had a problem with lubrication, 10W50 fits the conditions I ride in on this bike. 

Don’t you love an oil thread?

Edited by OZVFR
  • Thumbsup 1

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

What I thought was interesting was that they didn't list 15W 50.

My manual also says something like "it is not recommended to use oils of a higher quality or rating than what is listed."

My oil (when I us mobil 1 -4 stroke full synthetic 10 W 40) seems to go dark faster than I would like.  I ride a lot.  I am not putting wacky additives in fuel or oil or anything, so I'm not sure why this specific oil goes dark so quick. I like to change my oil sometimes even after 1000 miles if I have been riding a bit aggressive with the mobil 1.  

The Motul 7100 I also use seems to last a bit longer, but I still change before 2000 miles. 

My initial question was whether 15 W 50 or 20 W 50 would be better in my 100 degree weather area.  But most folks around here still prefer 10 W 40. 

Edited by MikeD

2 hours ago, MikeD said:

What I thought was interesting was that they didn't list 15W 50.

My manual also says something like "it is not recommended to use oils of a higher quality or rating than what is listed."

My oil (when I us mobil 1 -4 stroke full synthetic 10 W 40) seems to go dark faster than I would like.  I ride a lot.  I am not putting wacky additives in fuel or oil or anything, so I'm not sure why this specific oil goes dark so quick. I like to change my oil sometimes even after 1000 miles if I have been riding a bit aggressive with the mobil 1.  

The Motul 7100 I also use seems to last a bit longer, but I still change before 2000 miles. 

My initial question was whether 15 W 50 or 20 W 50 would be better in my 100 degree weather area.  But most folks around here still prefer 10 W 40. 

No good scientific reason, why you are changing out a true PAO Ester synthetic at that mileage.....you are literally throwing away like new oil. Also, NEVER go by the color of the oil, that is zero indication of how good/bad it is.

• Thumbsup 3
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, MikeD said:

Damn, can I have your "used" oil?

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, kilo3 said:

Damn, can I have your "used" oil?

I hear ya, I'd happily dump that into my R1200 GS......which my 4L jug of fresh unicorn blood is arriving this evening.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
On 7/26/2024 at 6:14 AM, MikeD said:

I ride a lot.  I am not putting wacky additives in fuel or oil or anything, so I'm not sure why this specific oil goes dark so quick. I like to change my oil sometimes even after 1000 miles if I have been riding a bit aggressive with the mobil 1.

Not criticizing but just my opinion, -that seems grossly excessive and wasteful, not to mention time consuming and expensive.

If concerned about any specific oil you could always have it analyzed - Blackstone Labs Oil Analysis that way you could know for sure if your interval is justified or if you are throwing money and resources away.  Motul 7100 is over $20 a liter!!! 

• Thumbsup 2
  • Haha 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member

What's "I ride a lot"?

Beyoney (Brian) rides a fair amount more than me (I've have maybe a few good reasons I've had to limit my mileage) and while possibly Brian also doesn't think you've been pulling our legs about your oil change intervals, I have good reason to suspect that.

As B-Mand suggested, a lubricant analysis costs only a bit more than a liter of Motul.

Please know I think you "protest too much", and ask that you don't waste our time, snd, if you're not jesting, your shekels more, and that you get a life!

20240701_164529.jpg

20240701_182729.jpg

• Confused 2