Guys,

I realize there has likely been discussion on this question...however, my search function does not yield any results.

What is the preferred oil for the 2024 Tracer 9 gt Plus?  My climate is dry, temps between 70-105 F.  

The owners manual says 10W-40 or 20W-50.  Since it is hot here, I thought 20W-50 might be best but I don't want to forfeit performance...the dealer used 10W40 at break-in service and told me it didn't matter which weight I used.  Thoughts?

• Premium Member

5W-40 is my year-round oil; i.e., Shell Rotella T6 low-budget full synthetic which some say doesn't offer as slick as shifting after 3K miles as oils that cost twice or more as much, so I just change it before 4k or so miles and still come out ahead, and never in 100s of 1ks have I had an oil related failure (and now that I think about, knock on plastic, any type of failure).

I just have a super mechanic on staff...

20W-50 is for Hogs!

End of yet another oil thread huh?!

• Thumbsup 1

Mobil One 4T is motorcycle specific 10w-40.  It's not cheap but it's all I ever use.  I have an older Kawasaki with 45,000 miles and it runs like new.

• Thumbsup 2

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

Yeah the Mobil 1 4T is my old faithful, and there is most certainly a difference between the formulations/additives in 40 weight car/truck oils and motorcycle specific oils in the 30/40/50 weights. I know that the Rotella is a popular choice and I have even used it myself in past bikes, but the shifting quality as mentioned is subpar even when fresh, and if I am going to run a "touted" synthetic.........it will be a synthetic. I change between 4k and 5K miles running Mobil 1 4T or Motul, and the shifting quality is there clear up until drain time. There are just certain things I don't skimp on, same goes for my cars. Oil is a religion for some folks, but I just go by shift quality, mechanical noise reduction, and of course oil analysis which does not lie or have assumptions. But there are so many stellar oil choices these days, it shouldn't be something which causes loss of sleep or anxiety for someone. :)

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, MikeD said:

Guys,

I realize there has likely been discussion on this question...however, my search function does not yield any results.

What is the preferred oil for the 2024 Tracer 9 gt Plus?  My climate is dry, temps between 70-105 F.  

The owners manual says 10W-40 or 20W-50.  Since it is hot here, I thought 20W-50 might be best but I don't want to forfeit performance...the dealer used 10W40 at break-in service and told me it didn't matter which weight I used.  Thoughts?

10-40. 
in case nobody informed you, depending on your country Yamaha also has a 100,000 mile Yamalube warranty that offers a level of protection provided you run the factory recommended oil. Simply save your receipts and maybe note the mileage you performed the change in case anything ever happens. Synthetic is NOT required. See your dealer for details or the Yamaha motor website in your specific country. For example:

https://www.yamaha-motor.ca/en/yamalube-advantage

-Skip

Edited by skipperT

• Premium Member

I signed up for Yamahaha's oil warranty, to which you were supposed to log-in and enter details for every change.

Their system crashed and burned within months, with no tech support, so I gave up and presume they amended the terms and conditions. 

Regardless, even if you followed their rules & regs meticulously,  IMO, Yamaha would find something to worm out of honoring the deal one way or another. 

Every try to collect on a Big 4s standard warranty, let alone their extended warranty?

It'd be way too easy for them to find something to deny your claim.

Think about it.  After 12 months and 12k miles (or whatever OEM or YES warranty may apply), a valve burns, a piston ring flutters the bore, or a hundred other potential causes that could be a component failure that is otherwise out of warranty but very difficult to prove was caused by their oil not doing its job.

Which would be the horse and the cart?

Furthermore, who would bear the cost for a mutually agreed upon "expert" to conduct a forensic examination and test the components and oil?

To me, it's a lost cause.

Better to spend the extra cost for their oil to do everything possible to maintain your machine, including routine oil testing. 

Have you heard of anyone ever being satisfactorily covered by their oil warranty?

Maybe I'm just being, as my youngest accusses me of being, a grumpy old white man.

But you can't trust anybody. And that's not a new thing.

• Thumbsup 1

7 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

T6 ain't THAT bad in the shifting department.

As far as protection, it's right up there with black gold twice it's $.

111164 MI.jpg

It aint that good either, but the overall package is solid for wet clutch and overall protection, and it's CHEAP and PLENTIFUL. :)

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Maybe I'm just used to the T6. And don't know any better. I've been looking at other oils to try next year but but on average, they're about twice the price and I can get T6 anywhere any time. Sure makes it simple for a simple mind.🤔

• Thumbsup 1

In my tracer with 38.000 km i have used for 30.000 km the original yamalube, but i feeling the gear a little hard, when the period of garanty ended i try the motul 7100 (always 10-40) and i feeling the changin gear more soft that the yamalube, for the next service probably i want try bardahl xtc c60, i have used with my old bike, Aprilia Rsv mille ‘02 and i feeling great! 
Here in italy oil most used are castrol power1, Bardhal xtc c60 and Motul 7100 (for the track use motul 300V)

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, AlessandroTB said:

Here in italy oil most used are castrol power1

That is the only oil I have used in both bikes for many years, the shifting is VERY smooth.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, betoney said:

That is the only oil I have used in both bikes for many years, the shifting is VERY smooth.

I see a six pack on Amazon for 55 bucks or only 9.16 per quart or liter but it's 10w50

I just found 10W-40 for 59 bucks for 9.83 a liter 

Is the latter what you get B-man?

You going for a ride today

• Supporting Member

The only things that actually matter for oil choice are how much you're paranoid about warranty and making sure you're not gunking up the Euro5 catalytic converters.

If you want to 100% cover your warranty with peace of mind, only use oil with "MA2" sticker on the bottle in your warranty period. NOT "JASO/MA compliant" but the actual rectangular "MA2" sticker that shows the manufacturer took on the additional expense to send their oil to the JALOS lab to be certified.

The other issue is oils that had high zinc content like the old Rotella T6 formulation. Shell has since changed their formula to not clog Euro5 cats, just don't buy old stock that are in the old bottle shape. This should be a non-issue if you're buying off a store shelf.

I found on both the old CP3 engine and the new one that it eats up 100% ester base "racing" oils, as in I could only get about 3000mi before shifting would noticeably be bad. Makes sense though since you're supposed to change out racing oils frequently. In the old CP3 I found the symptom would be clunky shifting through gears 1-3. In the new CP3 I found it would actually start missing going up from 5 to 6 using the quick shifter.

For what it's worth American oil manufacturers are always changing formulas, almost everything American made right now that's labeled as "100% synthetic" is really just highly refined dino-base oils rather than lab made synthetic base. You can look up data sheets to confirm this but as of 2024 I think the only true synthetic I can find on store shelves is Mobil1.

You can check out the MSDS sheet for Castrol Power 4T for an example of a refined dino-oil being sold as 100% synthetic - "highly refined base oil".

vs.

Mobil1's 10W-40 4t MSDS stating explicitly "synthetic base stock"

But seriously, the CP3 is so bullet-proof just use whatever oil and weight makes sense for your climate and change it when the shifting gets rough. Try to avoid spending more time thinking than riding 😎

EDIT: If you care about my personal opinion: Rotella T6 is what I ran on my 2015 FJ09 except for the 3 hottest summer months I'd change to Mobil1 4t. When I had my 2021 Tracer 9GT I ran Mag1 10W-40 4t which can be found at Family Farm & Home in the US, has MA2 label for certification and is 100% synthetic base for $7/qt.

• Thumbsup 1

Excellent advice guys! Thanks for all the input. I do ride a lot. A lot. Good to know how other folks feel and also to hear the evidence to support. 

• Thumbsup 1