• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 19 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Yamaha Y-AMT Transmission coming

Anybody else see this?

https://motojornal.pt/yamaha-anuncia-transmissao-automatica-y-amt-para-motos-desportivas/?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR1Hb4HWQm5fB_Gk38RRWNq4-EbS7-pFWzJYYPovWeVzPfg9XEsFSY1x2TY_aem_RCGsTEqSR3vPTx1Fy7iRzA

It really sounds like Yamaha sampled 3 different engine families for the video, including our beloved CP3. 

based on my reading, it looks like we may see them installed in a concept bike in November? we may get you away from the DCT bike yet @betoney ! (And I love the Honda DCT depending on the model, they ride brilliantly)  

-Skip

• Thumbsup 2
  • Haha 1

• Supporting Member
7 hours ago, skipperT said:

Anybody else see this?

https://motojornal.pt/yamaha-anuncia-transmissao-automatica-y-amt-para-motos-desportivas/?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR1Hb4HWQm5fB_Gk38RRWNq4-EbS7-pFWzJYYPovWeVzPfg9XEsFSY1x2TY_aem_RCGsTEqSR3vPTx1Fy7iRzA

It really sounds like Yamaha sampled 3 different engine families for the video, including our beloved CP3. 

based on my reading, it looks like we may see them installed in a concept bike in November? we may get you away from the DCT bike yet @betoney ! (And I love the Honda DCT depending on the model, they ride brilliantly)  

-Skip

Its interesting that more and more manufacturers are putting thought and effort into this technology, KTM and BMW are the most recent adopters.  I'm going to research Yamaha's version a bit more.

It will be hard to get me to part with my VFR w/DCT, not just because it works so well (though definitely not perfect) but because its mated to Honda's last ever V4 with shaft drive... I mean, seriously.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member

@skipperT A few take-aways from that article, though translated it mentioned using on larger displacement sport and sport touring bikes and having actuators on the left foot shift pedal while still maintaining the quick shifter.  This sounds very similar to Honda's E-clutch

Since the FJR and presumably R1 are now technically discontinued models, are they going to introduce new models using this technology or incorporate into existing models?  For the sport segment I can only imagine it would possibly be announced along with the new R9? and as for the touring model, the only model possible is the 9GT+ unless Yamaha has plans to redesign and reintroduce a modernized FJR type touring model? (Which would make the motorcycling community ecstatic).

It will be very interesting to see what they announce in November.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member

How about a 1250 CP3 with shaft drive with it?

T1300 with full CF fairing like a BMWr RT and Shad private labeled Yamaha top & side cases, under 500# with a half tank (3 gallons x 2) + other fluids.  Maybe without all the T9 GTs wizbang tech

1976 - 1980 Yamaha XS 850

• Thumbsup 2

I think this sounds amazing, especially if the shifts are fast and smooth.  I am all for this as long as the bikes are still offered with the standard manual gearbox.  Having choices is a good thing.

• Thumbsup 2

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

17 hours ago, betoney said:

Its interesting that more and more manufacturers are putting thought and effort into this technology, KTM and BMW are the most recent adopters.  I'm going to research Yamaha's version a bit more.

It will be hard to get me to part with my VFR w/DCT, not just because it works so well (though definitely not perfect) but because its mated to Honda's last ever V4 with shaft drive... I mean, seriously.

Yep, and yup! The 1200 VFR is a sleeper IMO and a sweet bike. 
-S

• Thumbsup 1

16 hours ago, betoney said:

@skipperT A few take-aways from that article, though translated it mentioned using on larger displacement sport and sport touring bikes and having actuators on the left foot shift pedal while still maintaining the quick shifter.  This sounds very similar to Honda's E-clutch

Since the FJR and presumably R1 are now technically discontinued models, are they going to introduce new models using this technology or incorporate into existing models?  For the sport segment I can only imagine it would possibly be announced along with the new R9? and as for the touring model, the only model possible is the 9GT+ unless Yamaha has plans to redesign and reintroduce a modernized FJR type touring model? (Which would make the motorcycling community ecstatic).

It will be very interesting to see what they announce in November.

Agreed, my take on it was identical to yours. I have a bit of a keen ear for engines, music, etc, and as I mentioned I swear I can hear the exhaust notes of 3 different motors/iterations of a 2, 3, and 4 cylinder engine(s).  So between that and the text they released to accompany the video your guess is bang on. I’m betting sport tourer new FJ MT/T sport bike and parallel twin (T7 or MT7?) versions. Should be sweet. 

the irony in what KTM announced is it sounds identical to the FJR Y-CCS edition first produced 18 years ago (shift motor performs shift function for you). Never caught on and not all that exciting IMHO. 
-S

• Thumbsup 2

3 hours ago, johnmark101 said:

I think this sounds amazing, especially if the shifts are fast and smooth.  I am all for this as long as the bikes are still offered with the standard manual gearbox.  Having choices is a good thing.

Ditto. The tech and rider experience gets better all the time. It’s great to have options!

-S

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

Skip, do you also swear that you can recognize a single LO?L

With four speeds and right hand shift a compression release drum cable brakes no starter motor dummy headlight and a 6v dry cell Battery in bum hump for the brake light because we doe need no stinkin generators!

BA 1960 Matchless G80CS Cafe circa 1979 c.jpg

• Haha 1

• Supporting Member

Fantastic technology, and yes choices are great. I suspect that some point in the future I will want to own a bike with an auto gearbox. Choice is also expensive and risky for manufacturers, so they're herding us away from it. This is all happening in the automotive business... already done in this market. I found this piece from Bennetts, describing the landscape a bit.

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/news-and-views/features/bikes/future-motorcycle-transmission-gearboxes

• Thumbsup 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif