Powerbrick Custom Stripped Down Harley Pan America

betoney

If HD gave two shits about their future, they would have completed the purchase of Alta.

I will say IF they make it through the death of their primary ownership group. They could be "cool" again, but that's going to be a long gap in years before the stigma of douchebag weekend warrior in tee shirts is lost.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Will it EVER happen?

One can hope, but apparently not under current management and their ‘strategic direction’ on product development.  

I’ve ridden a Pan America, and it was an impressive motorcycle.  Not ‘impressive for a Harley’, but just legit impressive.  That motor in the Bronx would have been THE new Harley would I actually buy.  But no… denied (again) by The Motor Company.  

Im loving my XR project for what it is, but what I REALLY wanted was a modern, no-excuses sport-standard.   Not to be, alas… 

In the meantime, I’ll keep taking good-natured jabs at the HD pirate crowd with my ‘X ARRR’ Anti-Harley…  🏴‍☠️🏴‍☠️

IMG_1538.thumb.jpeg.e703dd425b62c08c0999d5482cd9c632.jpeg

• Thumbsup 4
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member
2 minutes ago, texscottyd said:

One can hope, but apparently not under current management and their ‘strategic direction’ on product development.  

I’ve ridden a Pan America, and it was an impressive motorcycle.  Not ‘impressive for a Harley’, but just legit impressive.  That motor in the Bronx would have been THE new Harley would I actually buy.  But no… denied (again) my The Motor Company.

Its funny how many "anti-Harley" riders that I have talked to have actually said something similar; "If Harley built THAT, I would strongly consider trying one".  Maybe someday.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, betoney said:

Its funny how many "anti-Harley" riders that I have talked to have actually said something similar; "If Harley built THAT, I would strongly consider trying one".  Maybe someday.

I agree, but I think in Harley's case for new product lines it's not just the machine that holds sales back but the association with the MoCo. Both the FXR models and XR1200s were "if they built it" moments that didn't Pan out (pun intended), you can also see this more recently with the limited release of the FXDR 114 and the discontinuation of the Sport Glide. You can also add the V-Rod to this list but I think that had some staying power with a revision to the models mid-lifetime.

Only the XR1200 is a sport standard in my examples above. But it's still relevant to the "if they build it, I'll buy it" idea that hasn't panned out in Harley's history.

Traditional Harley riders want an overly square push-rod engine that makes more torque than horsepower. The rest of us not so much. If Harley make something like the Bronx it sits in this weird area where traditional Harley buyers won't want it, and convincing other riders to embrace it with the caveat of "despite it being a Harley" is a tall order.

There's also other options for non-traditional Harley riders, even from Harley themselves. In my case the FXR series of bikes, or @texscottyd's XR1200, and used Buell bikes. Then there's KTM and Moto Guzzi if you want V-twins that are based off of old tech, and Ducati if you like $2000 valve services.

I'm trying to get a friend to start riding this season and the unwillingness to associate with Harley riders is so strong she won't consider starting on any cruiser even if it's from one of the big 4. For Harley Davidson it doesn't matter how good the machine ends up being, I don't think the challenge is a mechanical one.

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member

Do I see that right?... 19" front wheel?... spokes?... what is this thing trying to be?

Like the colours (finally) and the uncluttered, naked look... but please make it a proper road going muscle bike. 😁

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

13 hours ago, piotrek said:

Do I see that right?... 19" front wheel?... spokes?... what is this thing trying to be?

Like the colours (finally) and the uncluttered, naked look... but please make it a proper road going muscle bike. 😁

They use the stock wheels which have a 19" front and spoked options. I bet it is because the electronics would wig out if they altered the diameter of the front wheel to 17". That build would look much better with a 17" front though.

• Thumbsup 3

• Supporting Member
On 6/24/2024 at 10:20 AM, draco_1967 said:

They use the stock wheels which have a 19" front and spoked options. I bet it is because the electronics would wig out if they altered the diameter of the front wheel to 17"

Right... they stopped when going got hard. 😒

17" front... all mags, and maybe a fat rear would look great. A lower stance would make the package more aggressive. Great look otherwise.

• Thumbsup 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif