Throttle body clean question.

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, dazzler24 said:

Had to remove left hand side Givi bars though so I could access the crank end bolt - a little annoying!

I cut a piece off a 14mm hex key and insert it into the cover socket. Just enough of it sticks out to use a flat 14mm open end wrench to crack the cover loose (and tighten when done). Not clear from your photo, but you might be able to use a 3/8" drive 19mm shallow socket on a 1/4" drive wobble head extension and a reducer.

crank_cover.thumb.jpg.db2d0056e56b8110a68b095d59c584ca.jpg

• Thanks 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Supporting Member
7 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Daz, I posted somewhere some time ago if you search how I use a (14 mm?) ball end hex I ground down the end of to remove the crank bolt plug. Then you can get a socket and ratchet on the bolt without removing the case guards.

6 hours ago, piotrek said:

I cut a piece off a 14mm hex key and insert it into the cover socket. Just enough of it sticks out to use a flat 14mm open end wrench to crack the cover loose (and tighten when done). Not clear from your photo, but you might be able to use a 3/8" drive 19mm shallow socket on a 1/4" drive wobble head extension and a reducer.

crank_cover.thumb.jpg.db2d0056e56b8110a68b095d59c584ca.jpg

Both of these sound like good ideas!  Maybe even a suitably sized bolt head would suffice if a you didn't want to sacrifice a 14mmm hex key?

It's a pretty tight angle to get a socket in there onto the crank afterwards but looks like you guys are managing it?

The last time I checked the valves I had to remove the long bolt that secures the bottom end of the GIVI cage because the nut end was on the right side of the bike.  When I reassembled on that occasion I turned that bolt around so I had only to remove the nut on the left side to free the cage for the next time.  A small gain but it lessened the annoyance that little bit more.

While it's not a biggy to remove the Givi cage, I'll definitely look at those possibilities as suggested as an option next time.  Thanks for the tips.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
8 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

Maybe even a suitably sized bolt head would suffice if a you didn't want to sacrifice a 14mmm hex key?

The puck is some 10mm deep. You need some meat on there to be able to grab it with the wrench. The 10mm is hardly a sacrifice on a hex key that size... the tool is still very usable. 🙂

• Thumbsup 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Supporting Member
11 hours ago, piotrek said:

The puck is some 10mm deep. You need some meat on there to be able to grab it with the wrench. The 10mm is hardly a sacrifice on a hex key that size... the tool is still very usable. 🙂

Fair enough.