Throttle body clean question.

• Supporting Member

Going in to do a valve check and was wondering if the throttle bodies were in need of a clean in this condition?

32000kms.

20240621_115522.thumb.jpg.af56c0e81b0a02569ecf15681c1857e6.jpg

20240621_115528.thumb.jpg.289f115639fe88413fe1163738434c6c.jpg

20240621_115514.thumb.jpg.2132ee7b1f7537bd82d8f6f3d139091d.jpg

Looks pretty clean to me mate. 
Mine is up to the same mileage and a valve check is on the to do list. 
I really need to get myself one of those carbtune gizmos, I use my electronic vacuum gauge which is very accurate, but can only check one at a time, pain in the arse. 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

• Supporting Member

Yea, thanks @OZVFR I kinda thought as much but better to run it past those who've had some experience while the lid is off and be sure.

The carbtune tool is fairly basic but I've compared each tube to one another with the same vacuum source and it seems to be reasonably accurate.

Tell me, is the exhaust minimum spec 0.24 or 0.26mm? I know the book says 0.26 but I've seen a label that says its 0.24?  I love it when there's doubt thrown into an otherwise accurate expectation of the measurement!

I've just checked mine today and I've got a couple of 0.26s on #3 and the other 4 valves are 0.27 with one at a loose 0.28.  Intakes are all in spec.

Not sure Darryl, but I know the book seems to have lots of inconsistencies. 
I would be expecting exhaust valves to tighten, not get lose. At least that’s been my experience with bikes going back to can’t remember when. 
On my VFR, during a brain fart while adjusting them I set one intake valve too tight, no idea how as I always double check, but whenever it got hot it would backfire through the throttle bodies, I knew something was wrong and fair enough, when I tripled checked it was too tight. On the V4 it was a painful job to adjust them even with the gear driven cams. 

Sorry, just re read your post, you’re saying you have one that’s on the minimum. From what I’ve read, nearly all Tracers are a bit tight on the exhaust before the due time. 
I really need to get off my arse and get this done. 
40k does seem too long for any high revving motor. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
6 hours ago, quaxum said:

Hi, the top of the TB is usually clean. The dirty portion is below.

image.thumb.jpeg.424dbac0f9f8bf853cfc5ff3dc54975a.jpeg

Bottom

image.thumb.jpeg.cb414a81c1eb52f69f87a10a28813156.jpeg
image.thumb.jpeg.b20e8367472efc847118efd2a828d617.jpeg

Aha!   Makes sense I guess.  The question is, how do you know without pulling them out or activating the butterflies via the dash.... or is it based on a mileage guestimation?

The only reference I can find on cleaning is - "Clean the throttle bodies only if they cannot be synchronised using the bypass screws"

How many miles/kms on that example @quaxum?

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, dazzler24 said:

how do you know without pulling them out or activating the butterflies via the dash

Once the air box is off, you can push the plates open with your finger. I wipe them clean (and as far as I can reach) each time I am in there... once a year. I don't recall them ever being nearly this dirty. 😬

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Supporting Member
19 minutes ago, piotrek said:

Once the air box is off, you can push the plates open with your finger. I wipe them clean (and as far as I can reach) each time I am in there... once a year. I don't recall them ever being ever nearly this dirty. 😬

OK?  I thought I'd read somewhere that you not supposed to use force/fingers to open the butterflies as it's a YCC-T system?  This may all in my imagination of course and if you're doing it without a problem then OK.  Thanks. 

• Supporting Member
9 minutes ago, dazzler24 said:

...I thought I'd read somewhere that you not supposed to use force/fingers to open the butterflies as it's a YCC-T system?...

Could be that "by the book" you should open them another way, but this works fine in my experience. 😜

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
1 minute ago, piotrek said:

Could be that "by the book" you should open them another way, but this works fine in my experience. 😜

Last question - do you use any solvents (e.g. carb cleaner) to clean or just a rag and some elbow grease?

Cheers.

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

Last question - do you use any solvents (e.g. carb cleaner) to clean or just a rag and some elbow grease?

Cheers.

I use a moist (kerosene) shop rag, or a paper towel. Just mind the bypass holes. To clarify.... when you open the plates, this is with the ignition off (no power to the servo).

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

Aha!   Makes sense I guess.  The question is, how do you know without pulling them out or activating the butterflies via the dash.... or is it based on a mileage guestimation?

The only reference I can find on cleaning is - "Clean the throttle bodies only if they cannot be synchronised using the bypass screws"

How many miles/kms on that example @quaxum?

I think it's probably within the 12000km mark? I can't remember the exact figures.

But I make sure that it is cleaned and synced whenever I get it serviced.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

Cheers.

Piotrek OZvfr et all steered you right, solvents are fine sprayed on a rag then push the butterflies gently open and clean the other 2. It’ll come off easily. 
Bike should be off/no key powerwhen performing this task. 

Set all ex to 0.30mm. Screw middle of the spec when it comes to the exhaust valve lash on these engines. They run better and longer when set this may IMHPO. 
-Skip

Edited by skipperT
  • Thanks 1

• Supporting Member
59 minutes ago, skipperT said:

Piotrek OZvfr et all steered you right, solvents are fine sprayed on a rag then push the butterflies gently open and clean the other 2. It’ll come off easily. 
Bike should be off/no key powerwhen performing this task. 

Set all ex to 0.30mm. Screw middle of the spec when it comes to the exhaust valve lash on these engines. They run better and longer when set this may IMHPO. 
-Skip

OK. Don't know where I got the notion of not opening the butterflies manually from but have now been schooled and will incorporate that into every time the lid is off for a throttle body sync.  Thanks.👍