Rear tire screw'd! Need new tires (Dunlop Mutant or Conti RoadAttack 4)

18 hours ago, betoney said:

I don't think there was any 'hate' for choosing not to plug,

18 hours ago, micah2074 said:

Differing opinions do not equal hate. 

I think you’re mistaking my use of the word “hate” as being aggressive or even demeaning. I mean it more of the slang term the “kids” use saying they don’t like something or disagree with it. My statements were also more in general and not specifically ONLY with this post in ONLY this forum as well. 

Differing opinions are good but note the OP didn’t at all ask if they should plug it but simply asked about Mutants yet multiple people felt the need to say he should plug it even after he explicitly said he wasn’t comfortable with it. Then there were more posts about how it was still wrong he felt the need to replace it. Whenever plugging a tire comes up there are always people who insist there’s nothing wrong and for them, their comfort and their risk assessment others should plug as well even after others say they are not. That’s “hating” to a T and why I used the term. 

My point is there is an inherent risk in a vehicle with 2 contact points that a plug could fail, enough that motorcycle shops in general overwhelmingly choose not to do it, yet car shops usually don’t have an issue. That means there is a greater risk whether YOU choose to live with that risk or not. Some people are fine without gear on, others aren’t, that’s their risk assessment and choice. 

19 minutes ago, Ride365 said:

Along with experience on the subject matter, it's just giving another option is all.....options are good. :)

Options are good, as is experience. But when someone says they don’t want to go that route that should be the end of it. Experience is great but so are others experiences; mine for instance made me not trust a plug long term. But who’s experience is right? Both of ours. 

• Thumbsup 3

16 hours ago, Lone Wolf said:

Always seems to be the rear that picks up nails, screws, etc.

I have heard that the front will get the thing airborne - then the rear tire goes over it and gets poked.

Yes, that's been my experience. I've never had a front puncture on a road bike. 

• Thumbsup 1

Posted (edited)

On my local motorcycle message forum, a user plugged their rear tire and it blew on the highway.  

https://www.gtamotorcycle.com/xf/threads/need-tire-repair-replacement-in-downtown.229411/#post-2957103

No one locally said I should plug my rear tire when I posted about the screw there as well.  It's interesting how the region you're in plays a big part in what's considered safe and what isn't. 

Edited by warrior
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, warrior said:

my local motorcycle message forum, a user plugged their rear tire and it blew on the highway.

... It's interesting how the region you're in plays a big part in what's considered safe and what isn't. 

Well his story is not crystal clear. No photo of the puncture, or was it a gash from running over something. I have seen where people throw 3 or 4 ropes into a large opening - vs one so small you have to struggle to get one rope into the puncture (I actually broke the plastic handle off a cheap rope tool trying to get a rope in).

Was it close to the sidewall. Did he ride on the tire for a while as it was low on pressure from the initial flat, which weakens the sidewall.

I am totally OK with someone tossing a tire that had a puncture. There is just a bit of info that need to be evaluated before deciding that all tire repairs are unsafe.

Like so many things in life, "it depends".

Also the guy was stranded and asking for advice, so likely was not already experienced with flat tire repairs. We all have to start somewhere. The "failed" repair was likely the first time he did it. So you have to also ask if he did it properly, because a puncture (like your initial post photo) with a quality rope plug that was inserted fully, then the tool rotated per instructions and pulled out to cut the rope would form a knot inside. Confirm with soap after the repair?? I carry a small bottle of soapy water and check for bubbles before leaving the site. He may not have done a great job at his first attempt. Lot of variables. 

Edited by Lone Wolf
  • Thumbsup 2
  • Confused 1
1980 Yamaha 850 Triple (sold). Too many bikes to list, FJ-09 is next on my list

Posted (edited)

You make wild assumptions.  Just because the plug failed, it had to be he doesn't know what he's doing?  Are you a plug detective?  

The user has the following bikes in his garage.

Current bikes: 
2024 Street triple RS
2020 1290 Superduke R

Past bikes: 
2023 690 SMCR
2023 Tuono,
2022 Africa twin AS ES
2020 1290 Superduke R
2005 FZ6
2006 SV650S
2017 FZ 09
2013 CBR500R

He's qualified in his knowledge of bikes.  

Yes, lots of variables that can cause a plug to fail. 

Here's a video that you'll agree with. 

Edited by warrior