Compatible panniers

Hi. I find myself having to go to a funeral in a couple of weeks, and am trying to work out how to get a black suit, white dress shirt, etc to site unwrinkled. 

I'm staying in a hotel the night before, so there is the opportunity to iron, but I'd rather not. I've been looking at panniers, but can't find any that are even remotely compatible with the built in attachment system except the stupidly expensive Yamaha items. If I have to reinstall the pillion pegs, fair enough, but I don't want to hand a ton of scaffolding off the side of my bike. Soft or hard are both fine (that's what she said). 

Budget is also an issue, in that I don't have one. I can make magic money appear if needed, though.

UK solutions preferred, if at all possible. 

• Supporting Member

I can't think of any solution that is going to be large enough to transport the suit jacket without folding it up and any bags you find are going to be hundreds of dollars.

Have you considered renting the suit when you get there? or driving the car for this one occasion ?

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Oh, a few folds is cope withable, but at the moment I have a small Yamaha  topbox and a 40l roll bag. Neither of them are going to get the suit there uncrumpled, which is what I'm trying to avoid. 

Unfortunately my BLW needs the car to get to work, so bike it is! Plus, I need to justify it's existence occasionally. And it's a fellow riders funeral. Also unfortunately, it's a very formal funeral so rocking up in bike gear would be infra dig. 😬

• Supporting Member
9 minutes ago, Mrtwisty said:

Oh, a few folds is cope withable, but at the moment I have a small Yamaha  topbox and a 40l roll bag. Neither of them are going to get the suit there uncrumpled, which is what I'm trying to avoid.

Any side bags you find are going to be smaller than the top box, which will require even more folding of the jacket.  If you get there a day or 2 in advance you might take it to a dry cleaner and get it pressed.  Sorry, I'm out of any other ideas.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Posted (edited)

Suit goes into a hanging garment bag. They're very cheap if you don't have one.

Garment bag gets folded and rolled up, and goes into something waterproof. Could be as simple as a trash bag inside any old duffel bag or backpack you have lying around. Attach to bike with bungees, bits of string, etc. 

Arrive, unpack, unroll, and hang up the garment bag.

Unzip it to find your suit... a little wrinkled, but not actually all that bad at all. 

Leave the suit hanging in the bathroom while you shower. The moisture will help relax wrinkles.

Then iron as needed with as little heat as possible (sorry, this is probably unavoidable) the night before. Inspect the hotel's iron and ironing board carefully for residues before use, and dump out any water in the sink and not your clothes.

You could skip the garment bag, too. I've attended many business conferences with nice clothing in a carry-on by rolling it up. It comes out shockingly OK and mostly unwrinkled. 

Another protip would be to consider (if possible for the event) a tweed blazer or jacket with dress pants rather than a suit jacket. Good tweed jackets can be wadded up, stuffed under an airplane seat or overhead, and come out looking perfectly fine with no need for ironing.

Higher quality dress shirts and pants are also astonishingly resistant to unsightly wrinkling when rolled. Cheap stuff looks terrible after being packed up.

Plain, reasonably clean riding boots can often pass for dress boots.

Edited by bwringer

Red 2015 FJ-09, among other things. Co-Host of The Riding Obsession, a Sport-Touring Motorcycling Podcast

If you can get your hands on a cheap iron steamer, you could use it to remove some minor wrinkles in just a couple of minutes.

Thanks all. I was planning on putting my normal crap on the panniers and the suit, in a garment bag, in my rolltop bag. Sadly I've checked my black suit and it's not ironable. I may have to just be a bit crumpled. Ah well. 

I have a Henty Wingman backpack for when I need to bring along a suit, which isn’t very often. 

it’s a garment bag that rolls the garment and is a backpack. 

Even if you don’t wear it as a backpack, it could probably be strapped down and keep things relatively wrinkle free.