500mi 2023 1290 Super Duke GT Impressions & Thoughts

jthayer09

23 hours ago, jthayer09 said:

Congrats, and great find! Jealous that you got the heated seats included.

When I got mine from the dealership they mentioned that globally the KTM 1290 (and probably now 1390) platform is the most returned motorcycle on the market because of how the power delivery scares the owners. Looks like you may have got one of those 😄

Ride safe.

That's interesting, because I find you can ride these bikes at a really mellow pace if you want to. There's so much torque you don't have to wail at it to go, plenty of speed while being gentle on the throttle. But sure, if you're a less experienced rider and a bit exuberant with the throttle (like if you came from a 650 twin or a 600 screamer) and whacked this throttle in the same manner, I get how you'd need a new pair of underwear. 🙂

It's definitely not a bike for everyone. Most people looking for sport tourers seem to want adventure bike comfort and ergonomics, or full dressed tourers or a cruiser. This bike is really for those who loves riding sport/naked bikes on the weekends and wanna have the same experience but over longer distances. I was the same, I LOVE riding the Duke 890R anywhere and everywhere, but it's always loony. I was convinced I should pair it with a more "rational" tourer, and tried the Moto Guzzi, a Multistrada, the Tracer, BMW R1250RS, but I kept missing the 890R. I eventually turned that into a lightweight tourer but it just doesn't have the range or load capacity needed. So the 1290GT is the logical conclusion to this meandering search for a "touring loony bike".

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
53 minutes ago, falkdal said:

That's interesting, because I find you can ride these bikes at a really mellow pace if you want to. There's so much torque you don't have to wail at it to go, plenty of speed while being gentle on the throttle. But sure, if you're a less experienced rider and a bit exuberant with the throttle (like if you came from a 650 twin or a 600 screamer) and whacked this throttle in the same manner, I get how you'd need a new pair of underwear. 🙂

It's definitely not a bike for everyone. Most people looking for sport tourers seem to want adventure bike comfort and ergonomics, or full dressed tourers or a cruiser. This bike is really for those who loves riding sport/naked bikes on the weekends and wanna have the same experience but over longer distances. I was the same, I LOVE riding the Duke 890R anywhere and everywhere, but it's always loony. I was convinced I should pair it with a more "rational" tourer, and tried the Moto Guzzi, a Multistrada, the Tracer, BMW R1250RS, but I kept missing the 890R. I eventually turned that into a lightweight tourer but it just doesn't have the range or load capacity needed. So the 1290GT is the logical conclusion to this meandering search for a "touring loony bike".

What you say is true yes, but it's a $20,499 bike new without luggage. You really need to have some space/open road to use all the power the bike has to offer.

The bike is really only mellow because of the electronics; put the ride mode into Track: set slide control to 3, throttle mode to Track, Anti-wheelie to off. Now have a go at it. I don't think most people would want to ride with that setup when their main goal is just get from point A to point B and not get arrested, but that option is part of the cost of the bike.

So I kind of get why people return/sell these when they realize if they're not using all the power and features, there's better options for them for less or same money in the category.

These aren't negatives for the SDGT, but rather people buy way more than they need and then realize there's a better fit on the market for their riding style. Like you said, they can buy the more comfortable and ergonomic option with the same $$$ they dropped on performance they won't be using with the SDGT. Motorcycling is probably the best hobby in that there's something for everyone, just gotta find it.

Typing this reminded me: I recently passed someone in a (2022?) BMW M8 Convertible on my usual back road route. That's a $141K performance car with a real world 0-60 in 2.5 seconds. But, he was going 5-10 mph below the speed limit on the only twisty road within a 20-mile radius. Now, I'm not one to judge what someone does with their money. But that definitely had me raising an eyebrow.

• Thumbsup 2

All true. I'm definitely not paying for the performance, I know I won't use it to its potential most of the time. It's more the sporty but comfy naked bike ergonomics,  the personality of a KTM, the fuel range/luggage capacity/passenger accommodations, plus the ability to let it loose when the roads allow it. So far it's the only bike that checks all those boxes for me. The Guzzi was prettier and had sublime suspension but reliability was horrible and fuel economy was terrible. The Multistrada/Tracer were more plush but at 5'8" I never feel confident riding a tall adventure bike. The BMW was great for highway miles but not exciting enough in the back roads. The 890R continues to be the most fun bike I've ridden, but I have to carry fuel just in case, the suspension is overwhelmed by too much luggage (and it ruins the handling), and it's too small for 2 people.

If I could find a middleweight bike with the personality of the 890R, more range, and added practicality, that would be my ideal bike. I'm much faster riding smaller bikes than big ones (I've had 4 Aprilia Tuono's and I'm still faster on the 890R). I had big hopes for the 890SMT but it's way too tall for me and not setup for a passenger. If KTM ever builds a 990GT I'll be first in line! And yeah I would never pay full sticker for the 1290GT, but a low mileage used bikes ends up being cheaper than most lower spec new bikes, so it's the best compromise for me.

• Thumbsup 2

@jthayer09and @falkdal you are both hitting on why the SDGT has been so appealing to me. I wanted one before I bought the Tracer but shied away because of the initial “glitches” I’d read and talked to people about. Since then I’ve read and heard much better long term reviews and experiences which has eased my mind. 

I liked the Tracer GT, but there was just something not right with what I wanted from it. Wasn’t I wanted more power, and the SDGT will be WAY more power than I’d ever use (a 990GT would be extremely appealing to me as well), it’s just not that hooligan-ish, sporty feel I wanted. Tried different bars and a few other tweaks but it just didn’t quite get there like I wanted. 

The wife and I found one for sale in town and went and looked at it the other day. So far she’s given it her blessing which is a good start, she didn’t the Tracer and it never gelled with her. 

Now I just need to get the time to go pick it up. Booked for a few weeks yet, looking like 10/19 will be the earliest I can get away. Can’t wait!!! 

Edited by miweber929

Looks great! While I prefer the gen 2 front end over the gen 1, I do like the side view of yours better. Cleaner and more focused, reminds me of the 890R.

• Thumbsup 1

• 2 weeks later...

Picked it up this afternoon, holed up in a hotel for the night with still another 7 hours before home tomorrow.  

This thing is insane and so much fun. Sixth gear is useless below 90mph, torque for days, handles extremely well, suspension is great. I for sure took the right step away from the Tracer, not that a Tracer is a bad bike it’s just not this machine. 

Windscreen’s gotta go, but it’ll get me home. The pipe is REALLY freaking loud, hoping the stock muffler fits the decal pipe and it survives being shipped home because I don’t think I can live with this one. 

IMG_1098.jpeg

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

Looks like your decat pipe is a straight pipe which is why it's so loud. The muffler won't do much to keep the sound level down.

Both the Arrow and Akra have options that keep a resonator chamber for sound dampening. The Arrow is what I have and is fantastic:

https://shop.rottweilerperformance.com/racing-de-cat-mid-pipe-super-duke-gt-1290-2016-2023/

• Thumbsup 1

19 hours ago, jthayer09 said:

Looks like your decat pipe is a straight pipe which is why it's so loud. The muffler won't do much to keep the sound level down.

Both the Arrow and Akra have options that keep a resonator chamber for sound dampening. The Arrow is what I have and is fantastic:

https://shop.rottweilerperformance.com/racing-de-cat-mid-pipe-super-duke-gt-1290-2016-2023/

Ooo, EXACTLY what I’m looking for. Like the look of the Remus, but yeah, that straight through pipe just drones and beats my ears up after any length of time. 

Thanks!!!!

Edit: Just ordered!!!

Edited by miweber929
Added info