500mi 2023 1290 Super Duke GT Impressions & Thoughts

jthayer09

• Supporting Member
2 minutes ago, falkdal said:

$15,900 + $650 OTD, or dealer freight/setup fees & tax on top of that?

Freight + tax + 1-hr setup.

They agreed to come up on my trade-in for the freight amount after I got serious that I  was gonna walk otherwise. Already miffed about paying for the tech package to unlock hardware already on the bike, no way I'm paying freight too. 

So OTD for me was $15,900 bike + $650 tech package + $140 setup + tax.

@jthayer09 you seem to know the SDGTs really well but is there a big difference between fueling on these? I’ve done some research, not a ton admittedly, and hadn’t read much about it being bad on gen 1 vs. gen 2. Or even that gen 3 was the best. 

I’m debating about doing a fly-and-ride for a ‘17 gen 1 in Colorado because it’s a decent price, and about what I’d be willing to spend on a bike I might put only a few thousand miles on a year. But I’m seeing some ‘19 and up prices that aren’t too much more, I just don’t want to have to do pipes and flashes to get it to run right because that negates anything I might save by going gen 1. 

• Supporting Member
6 hours ago, miweber929 said:

@jthayer09 you seem to know the SDGTs really well but is there a big difference between fueling on these? I’ve done some research, not a ton admittedly, and hadn’t read much about it being bad on gen 1 vs. gen 2. Or even that gen 3 was the best. 

I’m debating about doing a fly-and-ride for a ‘17 gen 1 in Colorado because it’s a decent price, and about what I’d be willing to spend on a bike I might put only a few thousand miles on a year. But I’m seeing some ‘19 and up prices that aren’t too much more, I just don’t want to have to do pipes and flashes to get it to run right because that negates anything I might save by going gen 1. 

There is no Gen3 Super Duke GT yet; not to be confused with the Super Duke R/Evo that does have a Gen3 (new frame and exhaust system) and Gen4 (1390, new frame).

For the Super Duke GT there is Gen 1, Gen 2, and Gen 2.5.

Gen 2.5 is just Gen2 but updated for Euro5 emissions + larger LCD, and also go the improved fueling map from the Gen 3 Super Dukes so tuning isn't as necessary, in fact the O2 sensors can adjust ECU AFR fairly well to a mid-pipe and muffler replacement as proven on Dyno charts on the KTM forums. As far as "bad' fueling goes, it's just a big V-twin that runs lean for emissions at low RPM. I think a lot of the grumbling is people want to lug a big V-twin and aren't used to the rocking motion of one when they first get on these bikes coming from an inline engine.

Gen 1 has a different headlights and fairing setup but doesn't have all of the electronics of Gen 2+. Gen 2+ has lcd dash, better suspension software (Gen 1 can be upgraded to the same software), different styling, better placed cruise control controls, a couple of gloveboxes in the fairing, one with a usb socket. Also Gen 1's quick shifter was only up, Gen 2+ has auto-blipper down as well.

The two main failure points on these bikes are the exhaust servo and fuel pump. Gen 2.5 got a new Bosch fuel pump that is less prone to failure. These are not an expensive fix if they go bad on Gen 1 and Gen 2, but as it will leave you stranded most people replace them preemptively with an aftermarket solution. The exhaust servo gets deleted if you remove the cat for an aftermarket mid-pipe, or you can just remove it yourself from the stock cat to save yourself the hassle later, if this fails the bike goes into limp mode and runs on one cylinder.

As far as not wanting to spend a bunch of money to "run right" getting a '19 and purchasing the Rottweiler Fuel Dongles and a pair of O2 sensor plugs (if you don't want to foul your sensors) will make everything right for ~$130-150 depending on shipping and taxes. 

Personally, I would get a 2019 and get the fueling dongles + sensor plugs if the previous owner hasn't already. In the absence of KTM having any sort of support in the US you can actually call or email Rottweiler Performance and talk to them about this stuff if you want; they're fantastic!

• Thumbsup 1

The Gen 2.5 also got the lighter wheels from the Gen 3 Superduke R, but otherwise everything is exactly as @jthayer09 said. Although I didn't realize the dash was even bigger on the 2.5 - the 2019 I tested had the full 7" LCD dash. At least it seemed plenty big to me!

• Thumbsup 1

4 hours ago, jthayer09 said:

There is no Gen3 Super Duke GT yet; not to be confused with the Super Duke R/Evo that does have a Gen3 (new frame and exhaust system) and Gen4 (1390, new frame).

For the Super Duke GT there is Gen 1, Gen 2, and Gen 2.5.

Gen 2.5 is just Gen2 but updated for Euro5 emissions + larger LCD, and also go the improved fueling map from the Gen 3 Super Dukes so tuning isn't as necessary, in fact the O2 sensors can adjust ECU AFR fairly well to a mid-pipe and muffler replacement as proven on Dyno charts on the KTM forums. As far as "bad' fueling goes, it's just a big V-twin that runs lean for emissions at low RPM. I think a lot of the grumbling is people want to lug a big V-twin and aren't used to the rocking motion of one when they first get on these bikes from a inline engine.

Gen 1 has a different headlights and fairing setup but doesn't have all of the electronics of Gen 2+. Gen 2+ has lcd dash, better suspension software (Gen 1 can be upgraded to the same software), different styling, better placed cruise control controls, a couple of gloveboxes in the fairing, one with a usb socket. Also Gen 1's quick shifter was only up, Gen 2+ has auto-blipper down as well.

The two main failure points on these bikes are the exhaust servo and fuel pump. Gen 2.5 got a new Bosch fuel pump that is less prone to failure. These are not an expensive fix if they go bad on Gen 1 and Gen 2, but as it will leave you stranded most people replace them preemptively with an aftermarket solution. The exhaust servo gets deleted if you remove the cat for an aftermarket mid-pipe, or you can just remove it yourself from the stock cat to save yourself the hassle later, if this fails the bike goes into limp mode and runs on one cylinder.

As far as not wanting to spend a bunch of money to "run right" getting a '19 and purchasing the Rottweiler Fuel Dongles and a pair of O2 sensor plugs (if you don't want to foul your sensors) will make everything right for ~$130-150 depending on shipping and taxes. 

Personally, I would get a 2019 and get the fueling dongles + sensor plugs if the previous owner hasn't already. In the absence of KTM having any sort of support in the US you can actually call or email Rottweiler Performance and talk to them about this stuff if you want; they're fantastic!

Yeah, I see there is not a Gen 3 but they call it a Gen 2.5. One thing I was reading on Reddit (I know, I know, that was my first mistake) referred to it as a Gen 3.

A couple ride reports I read were very high on the Gen 1 which is why I asked because I read a number of "poor running" threads about the Gen 2 and none for the Gen 1.

Another report I read said you can have the Gen 2 tuning also added to the gen 1 along with the suspension settings; again why this Gen 1 in CO is intriguing me. I know there is a local Gen 2 for sale I may call about if that is the better choice, then.

Thanks for the info!!!

Edited by miweber929

1 hour ago, falkdal said:

Yes you can update the Gen 1 bikes with the Gen 2 suspension "map". The hardware is the same.

Got a line on a couple I am looking at. Looked at a '17 Multistrada 1200S this weekend and while a nice bike was not enough "sport bike" and more "Tracer GT". Not that I mean that as a BAD thing, just want something leaning towards the sport side more. 

I sold my Tracer 9GT+ today to a coworker, back to the drawing board! And yeah I had a Multistrada for a while too and for me it was even worse than the Tracer, way too tall/upright/top heavy. I never felt comfortable on that bike. I'm pretty sure a 1290GT is the right bike for me.

• Thumbsup 1

I sold my Tracer 9GT+ today to a coworker, back to the drawing board! And yeah I had a Multistrada for a while too and for me it was even worse than the Tracer, way too tall/upright/top heavy. I never felt comfortable on that bike. I'm pretty sure a 1290GT is the right bike for me.

Nice!!! I’m pretty sure the SDGT will be my next bike as well :)

I’ve got 2 Gen 1’s (well, technically 3) on the line and was initially offered a SCREAMING deal on a brand new ‘23 but the shop rescinded when I called them back to put the money down on it and said they misquoted me. Sigh….

Thing that’s bugging me right now is there are a few Gen 1’s in what I think are an acceptable price range, many are too high, and the Gen 2.5’s are a decent price if I was going to go down to 1 bike but the Gen 2 owners are asking new Gen 2.5 money and I’m having troubles mentally paying that much for a used bike. But I know of one Gen 1 with Gen 2 software on the suspension and fueling, with every accessory I want except the heated, taller seats (cheap upgrade) p, in amazing condition that I’m hoping to move on in the next week or so. 

I just finalized a deal on a 2023 with 3k miles, heated seats, tech pack, Puig touring screen, KTM side cases (also includes the stock seats and screen). Have to take a short flight down to San Diego to pick it up and ride it home, can't wait!

$13,900 + tax

2023_GT_RightSide.jpg

• Thumbsup 4

• Supporting Member
35 minutes ago, falkdal said:

Have to take a short flight down to San Diego to pick it up and ride it home, can't wait!

Congratulations. Take the LONG way home to 'explore' the bikes traits and features, LOTS of nice riding around Julian, Palomar Mountain and Big Bear.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member

I just finalized a deal on a 2023 with 3k miles, heated seats, tech pack, Puig touring screen, KTM side cases (also includes the stock seats and screen). Have to take a short flight down to San Diego to pick it up and ride it home, can't wait!

$13,900 + tax

2023_GT_RightSide.jpg

Congrats, and great find! Jealous that you got the heated seats included.

When I got mine from the dealership they mentioned that globally the KTM 1290 (and probably now 1390) platform is the most returned motorcycle on the market because of how the power delivery scares the owners. Looks like you may have got one of those 😄

Ride safe.

7 hours ago, falkdal said:

$13,900 + tax

2023_GT_RightSide.jpg

Love it!!! 

I'm finalizing a deal on a ‘16 SDGT with 17k on it, one owner, full luggage including factory top box, fully serviced, new tires, MRA Windscreen, Remus pipe fully updated to the gen 2 fueling and suspension software for $8500. I don’t have too much I need to get for it, the heated seats and a different windshield should be it, I’ll be all in under $9k. I’m flying down to Louisville in a few weeks to ride it back to MN if the weather holds. 

On 9/29/2024 at 9:56 AM, betoney said:

Congratulations. Take the LONG way home to 'explore' the bikes traits and features, LOTS of nice riding around Julian, Palomar Mountain and Big Bear.

Sadly there are a number of fires around Big Bear right now, so that route isn't an option. But I was going to go through Palomar and then make my way west through Ojai and the best roads I can find, with a mandatory speed run on 25 up to Hollister!

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1