FJ 09 Gas tank

• Supporting Member

Anyone have an easy way of getting the plug with the orange, blue and black off?  I've been trying for 1.5 hours and still no luck.

• Supporting Member

I'm assuming you're talking about the fuel line connector at the fuel tank end?

Yes, it can be tricky if you've never done it before.  You'll need to use some effort when you squeeze the blue 'buttons' on the sides in while pulling the hose away from the connector.  If you've got fat fingers it can be difficult to get your fingers in there.

This is what needs to happen......

image.png.626be96db98fe93ff6acc483bccd3e7f.png

FWIW, there is a newer version of the hose that uses a different style of connector (AKA easier to use).

I had to buy one some time ago when I damaged my original connector while trying to get it off.  Here's the thread about that.

Old on the left and new one.

image.thumb.png.1b90bc7a1957e051c19683b958cff2b0.png

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

• Supporting Member

If you are just accessing the air box then there is no real 'need' to remove the fuel line.  When you remove the bolts holding the fuel tank, lift the tank straight up and spin it backward and rest it on a towel where the seat would normally be.  When reinstalling the tank, turn it back the opposite direction so the connections don't get twisted.

If you want to completely remove the tank, there are pliers made to squeeze those 'buttons' on the fuel line connector.

Fuel Line Pliers

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***