Blown fuse, now cruise/QS problems

Trying to diagnose the cruise, quick shifter, and gear indicator light not working. 2020 900 GT 7400mi

Tried starting my bike and there was no electrical power. Noticed the 50a fuse blew. Replaced it with a Bussmann 50a fuse from the parts store. Bike started up just fine with the new fuse, but now the gear indicator is blank unless it's in neutral. Also the other green Neutral light is lit up all the time no matter which gear I'm in. Cruise control and quick shifter also don't work now. QS icon is still showing like normal. Orange cruise light comes on when I activate it, but the cruise won't set anymore.

Battery is new as of 6 weeks ago and has normal voltage. Connections are clean and tight. All fuses under the seat are fine and fuses behind the right fairing are fine. Any help on where to begin would be appreciated. Thanks

First question is what do you think caused the fuse to blow?  

Often when the 50 amp fuse blows there may be another 7.5 amp fuse that also blew.  Check the rest of your fuses.

If all other fuses are good, then there are probably codes that need to be cleared in order to get the bike working right again.  Your local dealer can do this through the diagnostic connection under the passenger seat. 

I had a similar issue where the 50 amp and the 7.5 amp fuse for the electronic throttle were blown.  I replaced the fuses but the quick shifter was turned off and I was also unable to enter the user menu on the display.  Dealer cleared the codes and everything returned to normal.  No issues since then. 

Hopefully, yours will be this simple as well.  Good luck.

• Thumbsup 2

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

5 hours ago, johnmark101 said:

First question is what do you think caused the fuse to blow?  

Often when the 50 amp fuse blows there may be another 7.5 amp fuse that also blew.  Check the rest of your fuses.

If all other fuses are good, then there are probably codes that need to be cleared in order to get the bike working right again.  Your local dealer can do this through the diagnostic connection under the passenger seat. 

I had a similar issue where the 50 amp and the 7.5 amp fuse for the electronic throttle were blown.  I replaced the fuses but the quick shifter was turned off and I was also unable to enter the user menu on the display.  Dealer cleared the codes and everything returned to normal.  No issues since then. 

Hopefully, yours will be this simple as well.  Good luck.

I wish I knew what caused the 50 amp fuse to blow. I've been checking for loose connections and melted or pinched wires with no luck. I tested all the fuses under the seat and behind the right fairing with a multimeter and they are all good. Thanks for the tip about the dealer resetting it. That will probably be my next step.

Usually this happens when the battery connections are hooked up backwards or from a voltage surge such as from a jumpstart/batt pack or arching ie from grounding the pos batt terminal accidentally (screwdriver touching ground. All possibilities and there’s more I’m forgetting. 
@johnmark101 gave you good advice, get the codes cleared before worrying about what may or may not be going on any further. 
-Skip

41 minutes ago, skipperT said:

Usually this happens when the battery connections are hooked up backwards or from a voltage surge such as from a jumpstart/batt pack or arching ie from grounding the pos batt terminal accidentally (screwdriver touching ground. All possibilities and there’s more I’m forgetting. 
@johnmark101 gave you good advice, get the codes cleared before worrying about what may or may not be going on any further. 
-Skip

That's good to know. The battery is installed correctly (laying on its side with positive terminal towards front, negative towards rear). It's been running great for the last 1000 miles with this battery. I'll have the dealer clear codes and give an update afterward. Can they clear them via the OBD port or will they need to reach the ECU? Thanks!

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, MN900 said:

That's good to know. The battery is installed correctly (laying on its side with positive terminal towards front, negative towards rear). It's been running great for the last 1000 miles with this battery. I'll have the dealer clear codes and give an update afterward. Can they clear them via the OBD port or will they need to reach the ECU? Thanks!

There is a diagnostic plug tucked away under the passenger seat.  They connect a harness to this to read and clear codes.  A well trained tech can do this is a short amount of time.

Edited by johnmark101

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

• 2 weeks later...

Fixed the issue by replacing a bad ignition cutoff relay - part# 5VK-81950-41. Found the solution on the FZ09 forum. This relay controls a few different things like the kickstand switch cutting off the engine when in gear, and other things (QS, Cruise, etc.)

Problem: with ignition on and kickstand down, gear position indicator is working in all gears. With kickstand up, the gear indicator goes black and green Neutral light is turned ON in all gears. Other issues were happening at the same time like cruise and quickshifter not working.

Solution: replace ignition cutoff relay under the seat. Part# 5VK-81950-41 ($50 on Partzilla).

• Thumbsup 4