Radiator guard design -21 and later tracer 9

Posted (edited)

So i designed this standard looking radiator guard, got it sent out to be cut from 2mm aluminium 5754. Will have 3 pieces extra if any ones interested, send me a PM.

Wondering if any other have noticed increased coolant temp with installing a guard?

I designed to give it as much air flow but still decent protection against bigger stuff.

It attaches with zip ties.

Will update post when i have installed it on the bike.

EDIT: For -21 and up tracer 9

guard1.png

Edited by ebbotk

Nice design! Hope it works out well for you.  I don't need a guard since I bought one from a 3rd party company, but curious which bike this is for so that anyone else reads this can respond.

• ebbotk changed the title to Radiator guard design -21 and later tracer 9

Forgot to add, the Evotech radiator guard I have has definitely prevented a few rocks or debris from damaging the radiator. On my last oil change, I noticed a few small dents on it, so big peace of mind when you install this.  Lots of bugs and bees for sure. 🙃 As for coolant temps, haven't paid too much attention but seems to operate normal given its only 2 years old and here in the PNW we don't get extreme temps.

install was simple with 6 screws but removal of the left and right plastics was just extra steps to get to this. I think the 3 ziptie locations on yours will beat this hands down, just be sure to check for movement after a few rides and mileage on the bike.

Yeah i wanted to make it simple for install and removal aswell without having to remove fairing. Think it will look pretty clean though im not usually fan of zip ties 😃

The 2020 bike I bought last Fall came with a rad guard on it, but the 2020 I had before that did not. I haven't noticed any appreciable difference in cooling between the bikes. Older bike model but essentially the same motor and configuration so I would expect the same results with a 2021+.

Another mod this bike has is a front fender extender which I have noticed really helps keep the schlop off the header pipes as well as the gravel off the rad. 

Good fit, little tight in the holes for zip ties but nothing that wont work. Will have to do some roadtesting to see if it has effect on cooling properties but im guessing it wont.

• Supporting Member
36 minutes ago, ebbotk said:

Will have to do some roadtesting to see if it has effect on cooling properties but im guessing it wont.

I have used radiator guards on every bike I have owned, never had any cooling issues even riding in triple digit temperatures.  The air vent holes are quite large compared to some guards I have seen, you should be fine.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• 2 weeks later...