this friggin software... MyRide-link and Garmin Motorize on a 2024 Tracer GT+

Err… run that by me again. Just kidding. Interestingly, the dealer kindly connected my phone to the bike and I’m assuming he followed alll the early steps you outlined as I was drinking coffee while he did it 😁

Thank you squarewheel for your dedication to the cause. I’m now emboldened to try the Motorize app and will report back in due course; once my cracked ribs heal. But that’s another story. 

• 2 weeks later...

This is what I found and works most of the time:

1) pair/ connect your phone (Bluetooth)
2) pair your headset (Sena etc) then disconnect
Every time you go to bike connect in following sequence ( DO NOT connect usb (once pairing has been done for Motorize) until the end.
1) connect WiFi
2) open Yamaha link/ settings vehicle/ connect
3) go to Motorize via the Yamaha link, connect/agree
4) long push on left hand switch gear home button
5) short press on joystick to accept
6) once map shows only then connect usb
7) switch headset on( make sure you pair to bike not your phone
All done

Don't really like the app that much so I put my quadlock on the stem and use google maps. It does look nice enough on the TFT and haven't really had an issue with the directions. Biggest issues are the need to reconnect everything when I stop for petrol and it seems you need to have everything set up on the app first - locations etc - because once you connect, the phone screen is black and you can't change anything. Well, as far as I am aware.

• Supporting Member
5 hours ago, fezmond said:

This is what I found and works most of the time:

1) pair/ connect your phone (Bluetooth)
2) pair your headset (Sena etc) then disconnect
Every time you go to bike connect in following sequence ( DO NOT connect usb (once pairing has been done for Motorize) until the end.
1) connect WiFi
2) open Yamaha link/ settings vehicle/ connect
3) go to Motorize via the Yamaha link, connect/agree
4) long push on left hand switch gear home button
5) short press on joystick to accept
6) once map shows only then connect usb
7) switch headset on( make sure you pair to bike not your phone
All done

Biggest issues are the need to reconnect everything when I stop for petrol

The thread on the FZ09 forum lists a similar number of steps jumping through hoops to get it to work.  They showed a youtube video of it with the map finally working on the screen and it was TINY, it looked like about 35mm x50mm, is that truly how small the map is?

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Posted (edited)

OK, a few weeks down the road and I wanted to post a follow-up note.
#1 Most important thing - once I got this set up properly, it's been low/no maintenance whatsoever.  The "struggles" were really about the initialization and set-up.

#2 It was worth the effort for me because I prefer not to mount anything 'extra' to the cockpit.  I don't want my phone floating out there (and the display is smaller) and I don't want to buy a stand-alone GPS unit.

#3 I'm a "go get lost" pleasure rider.  I certainly don't need a GPS for the first half of the mission. But this implementation is really useful for a) ok, gotta head back; b) damn, where am I going to find a gas station; c) does that next turn go somewhere or dead-end in a half-mile.  Most of the time the Garmin app is running in my pocket, and it's a real benefit to hold down a button to see it all on the built-in, sunshine readable, bigger and augmented screen.

My user experience now is...
go to garage, turn on bike & wait 20 seconds for BT icon to light-up, ensure phone's Bluetooth auto-connects (always does now), start MyRide app, set my phone WiFi to the bike's hotspot, start Garmin Motorize.  Then put phone in pocket and go get lost again.

Edited by squarewheel
tpyos
  • Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

Good to hear that you finally got it working. 

Now that the initial settings/ connectivity are sorted, how does it actually perform on the TFT screen?  Any issues building a route for a trip or is there any wifi lag?  Once traveling on your route, can it be modified on the TFT screen or only on the phone?

The screen performs very well;  even "acceptable +" in direct sunlight.  To me, that's a win over my iPhone for that and a few other factors (not touch screen, no reach required, no janky mount).  The Garmin Motorize app runs on the phone and delivers the screen to the bike using "wifi hotspot" emulation built into the bike, as I expect that Bluetooth can't provide the bandwidth for this screen mirroring.  Then, the handlebar left hand joystick/home button provides, basically, a mouse to control the Motorize app.  It does consume phone battery, but if I need to charge up, I just plug the phone to the bike's USB port.

While off the bike, I can use the fully functional app on the iPhone to search for and to save my destinations.  I could certainly do this roadside, on the bike, but not while in motion.  While riding, it's quite straightforward and easy to either select a saved destination (it will automatically route it) or just select the "Home" button and get an autoroute there.  If I choose a side-road on any route, the app automatically reroutes in a logical way to the intended destination.  

It's certainly not the most elegant application I've ever seen, but it's stable and the maps are on-board (not constantly refreshing from cloud)).  In use, it performs as expected every time and it's intuitive to use - I'm not asking for a manual (yet).  

• Thanks 1

On 6/17/2024 at 6:44 PM, squarewheel said:

OK, a few weeks down the road and I wanted to post a follow-up note.
#1 Most important thing - once I got this set up properly, it's been low/no maintenance whatsoever.  The "struggles" were really about the initialization and set-up.

#2 It was worth the effort for me because I prefer not to mount anything 'extra' to the cockpit.  I don't want my phone floating out there (and the display is smaller) and I don't want to buy a stand-alone GPS unit.

#3 I'm a "go get lost" pleasure rider.  I certainly don't need a GPS for the first half of the mission. But this implementation is really useful for a) ok, gotta head back; b) damn, where am I going to find a gas station; c) does that next turn go somewhere or dead-end in a half-mile.  Most of the time the Garmin app is running in my pocket, and it's a real benefit to hold down a button to see it all on the built-in, sunshine readable, bigger and augmented screen.

My user experience now is...
go to garage, turn on bike & wait 20 seconds for BT icon to light-up, ensure phone's Bluetooth auto-connects (always does now), start MyRide app, set my phone WiFi to the bike's hotspot, start Garmin Motorize.  Then put phone in pocket and go get lost again.

Hi Squarewheel

I have been using the Garmin system on my T9GT+ but have to keep putting in the hotspot password, do you? How you've explained it is the way I setup but only BT autoconnects, I have the autoconnect set on my smartphone (Android) but will not autoconnect when initialising wifi between phone and ccu.

Hmm. That’s a drag. I’m on iOS, so don’t really know. However, I’ll tell you quirky things I do see.  First off, I’ve noticed quite frequently. The app recognizes the Bluetooth connection more than one time in the available connections list. It seems to connect OK to whatever it wants and I usually don’t have to intervene with Bluetooth.  Where I do see a similar problem is on the Wi-Fi side. Quite frequently, maybe one in five or six tries, I will get an error message complaining that I have the wrong Wi-Fi password. However, I usually ignore the message and continue on, and the connection somehow straightens itself out automatically. The error itself has not been a stopper, but it took me a while till I learned to ignore it. 

9 hours ago, squarewheel said:

Hmm. That’s a drag. I’m on iOS, so don’t really know. However, I’ll tell you quirky things I do see.  First off, I’ve noticed quite frequently. The app recognizes the Bluetooth connection more than one time in the available connections list. It seems to connect OK to whatever it wants and I usually don’t have to intervene with Bluetooth.  Where I do see a similar problem is on the Wi-Fi side. Quite frequently, maybe one in five or six tries, I will get an error message complaining that I have the wrong Wi-Fi password. However, I usually ignore the message and continue on, and the connection somehow straightens itself out automatically. The error itself has not been a stopper, but it took me a while till I learned to ignore it. 

Wifi issue is quirky, it's something I've never had but do get the connection error box pop up if I don't put in the password and the Yamaha MyRide-Link App says not connected in the settings. I did change the default random password hoping that would solve it...unfortunately not. Thanks for your help 👍 

8 hours ago, motochick said:

I don't have a lot of problems with mine, but I have an Android phone and I plug in the USB. Don't mess with the Wi-Fi cuz I like the stream Sirius.

Hi Motochick,

I use the usb lead for charging my smartphone whilst riding, never did setup the usb. Not so clued up with Sirius.

7 hours ago, Geoffrey Parrett said:

Hi Motochick,

I use the usb lead for charging my smartphone whilst riding, never did setup the usb. Not so clued up with Sirius.

I like to stream tunes from YTmusic or Sirius and I did not know how to tell Pixel 8 Pro to grab Data via 5G when the Wifi is connected to my Tracer 9GT+. Delete the WiFi connection from your phone and just mount it to your handlebars and plug in the USB, you get charging AND it replaces the Data connection that the Wifi provided. And Bluetooth must be connected to the phone also.

Everything seems to work okay for me with that setup. I occasionally use Garmin Motorize because I've had many Garmin devices and like some of the functionality of their products. But often I just use Waze on my phone which I fire up after everything is connected.

All this BS is WAY too much to worry about when you're going for a ride, but it's like that with all tech these days.

I wish all motor vehicle manufacturers when just provide Android Auto & Apple Carplay with EVERY vehicle they make, seems simple enough but greed usually trump's logic when the end user is involved.

Edited by motochick
  • Thumbsup 1

10 minutes ago, motochick said:

I like to stream tunes from YTmusic or Sirius and I did not know how to tell Pixel 8 Pro to grab Data via 5G when the Wifi is connected to my Tracer 9GT+. Delete the WiFi connection from your phone and just mount it to your handlebars and plug in the USB, you get charging AND it replaces the Data connection that the Wifi provided. And Bluetooth must be connected to the phone also.

Everything seems to work okay for me with that setup. I occasionally use Garmin Motorize because I've had many Garmin devices and like some of the functionality of their products. But often I just use Waze on my phone which I fire up after everything is connected.

All this BS is WAY too much to worry about when you're going for a ride, but it's like that with all tech these days.

I wish all motor vehicle manufacturers when just provide Android Auto & Apple Carplay with EVERY vehicle they make, seems simple enough but greed usually trump's logic when the end user is involved.

Did as you suggested and motorise connected but have to select myride-link to connect usb and also retained charging capability so all good......agree with you about motorcycle manufacturers just having Carplay or AA but as you say it's about cost. I watch a YouTube bike blogger called Richy Vida and he rides a Honda AT, this has Carplay/AA and uses a wireless dongle plug into the bike usb and has seamless WiFi connectivity between phone and bike that mirrors his phone apps to his bike, looks so easy.

First day on this forum. Just got my bike 2 weeks ago. 

My first experience with the Garmin was less than pleasant. I was able to get guidance running the first time around. However, during our break with my riding group, when I went to fire things up again, I was continually getting "Connection Error". Doesn't inspire a lot of confidence when I'm sometime the lead of my group and need to stay on our designated route.

Oh, I also wasn't able to get turn-by-turn directions working.

I used to ride a BMW GSA. I was happy enough with the Garmin interface and functionality. Plus I used Kurvinger as my backup GPS in case there was a conflict. Unfortunately, I can't run both on my phone now. I might just stick with Kurvinger, it's a decent enough GPS app.

I'm going to try what fezmond recommended with disconnecting the USB.

The setup and configuration are definitely a kludge. There is no need to have to utilize both BT and... Wifi and... USB and MyRide.... and Garmin. To many points of failure.

Thanks for all the posts.

• Supporting Member

A question to anyone who has actually gotten this setup to work continuously for any length of time and traveled to remote regions - How does it perform with no cell reception? does it cache map data once a route is established and able to work in 'offline'-mode?  is it even functional out in the middle of nowhere... where you would actually need it?

90% of my riding is to remote areas, mountains, deep forests, desert regions etc all with zero chance of cell reception.  The 2 greatest features of my GPS are 'Home' and 'Nearest Gas Station', I would hope there is some sort of provision for use outside of cell range or is this more of a feature aimed at urban commuting type use?

• Thumbsup 1