this friggin software... MyRide-link and Garmin Motorize on a 2024 Tracer GT+

OK, like, I'm going to accept that we need three software endpoints (bike, MRL, GM) and two/three different comm channels (bt, wifi, maybe USB).  OK, that's probably the only way Yamaha could get Garmin to cooperate on a build.  BUT, this is not a delightful experience for a new user.  Bad enough that the MRL app hasn't been updated in a year, but even the TUTORIAL is broken (bad page link from p6 to p7, so you can't finish.  laughingnotlaughing.)  Sadly, I had it working ONCE.  Upon second attempt, total fail. 
Simple first question:
If you use this daily, what is your "start up sequence" that is repeatable and dependable.  I can't debug this thing over and over...  HOW DO YOU USE IT RELIABLY?

• Supporting Member

Sorry, I dont have an answer for you.  I was reading the FZ/MT09 forum and there was a similar thread voicing frustration over the software on the 2024 MT09.  Apparently the apps for MT09 and Tracer9 are different - 'StreetCross' and 'Motorize' (WHY Yamaha?) but both are equally frustrating to use.  Someone had made a video on the setup and use on the MT09 and it looked like such a hassle that even if I had it I would just use a standalone GPS.

This might help or give you some insight?

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Yeah, you're on point there.  But I really don't want a phone mounted on the bars, I want this thing to work.  I think it's just a matter of the user "playing around the sandtraps."  (read:  avoiding known software defects).  I suspect that if a user knows the "necessary path" for waking all these components up in the proper sequence...  

Hope someone can help, otherwise pls post results once you find the solution. At first when I saw the new Garmin GPS integration on the new Tracer and one screen versus the 2 screens that I have on my '22 T9GT, it looked phenomenal. It probably still is, but when I downloaded the manual and saw that it also required a Garmin subscription. I'm in the separate GPS and dash camp. I think Betoney is correct, I recall the apps are specific for each model, so be sure you have the correct one.  Maybe I'll have a look at the manual or app again but I think it required a connection with the bike to initialize.

Agreed on all your points.  My good news is.. I had it working on Sunday.  That was my second attempt, and I basically "deleted everything and started over."  It was working with a live map on the screen and joystick control and all.  But it was raining and so I just stayed in the garage, messed around with it for a while and that was it.  Bad news is, I go to road test it after work yesterday and it's snafu'd.  Seeing multiple Bluetooth connections on my phone for same "device", wifi won't connect, yada yada.  I didn't really have time to start the whole install over again.  So I'm trying to get the procedure established where I just walk up, turn the system on, open the apps, see the map and roll.  There's got to be a right way/wrong way path here, just gotta find it.  And it appears that plenty of people need it, too.  Stay tuned.

• Thumbsup 2

gps? whats that (in 2017 fj-09 terminology) LOL. sorry if i come of harsh here, i have been drinking a fair amount, but i dont have a new bike with all these pay to play features that require a degree to use. i just use my phone with google maps when i need, or just ride till i figure it out.

Posted (edited)

@squarewheel my 2023 XMax scooter uses 2 apps: Y-Connect for general connectivity, and Garmin StreetCross for navigation. StreetCross is completely free (at least in my country). And they only use BT, not wifi.

I find the handshake more reliable if I open the phone apps first before turning the scooter on. Connection is flaky when doing it the other way around.

Also wondering if your phone model & OS type matters. I’m not encountering any major headaches using an iPhone. The app permissions are also set to ‘run in background’.

Edited by someguy

I also have a GT+ and haven’t bothered with the Garmin option. Just look at the reviews on the Apple App Store to see why: 1.5 stars out of 5 says it all. Why oh why didn’t Yamaha do the job properly and include Apple CarPlay?  No doubt it was down to cost but pissing off your customers with a sub-standard app/connection is a sure fire way of losing them. 
I wish you all the luck in the world squarewheel and look forward to your next rant/update 😂

I have Garmin Motorize on a 2024 Niken - gave up on it and did not extend the free months trial.  Even when it did work, the maps were out of date and screen resolution and brightness poor. Already have a Zumo XT and that is far superior.  As has been said Apple Carplay or Android Auto is required.  Motorize is a gimmick imo.

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
21 hours ago, squarewheel said:

So I'm trying to get the procedure established where I just walk up, turn the system on, open the apps, see the map and roll.  There's got to be a right way/wrong way path here, just gotta find it.

That is exactly what I would hope for, 'self-discovery' of device and software.  If there is a connection 'procedure' from the rider every time the bike is turned on then it would be a no-go for me using it.

• Supporting Member
6 hours ago, someguy said:

@squarewheel my 2023 XMax scooter uses 2 apps: Y-Connect for general connectivity, and Garmin StreetCross for navigation. StreetCross is completely free (at least in my country). And they only use BT, not wifi.

I find the handshake more reliable if I open the phone apps first before turning the scooter on. Connection is flaky when doing it the other way around.

Having to use multiple apps for proper use is almost guaranteeing headaches and frustrations for the end user, Yamaha should look at a re-design with something more universal like Carplay/AA as already mentioned.  All of these high-tech features are selling points on a sales brochure but ultimately can be a PITA.

Garmin standalone GPS units integrate with a phone but there is no need to even touch the phone to open apps or connection 'procedure'.  Power the unit on, BT connection established, done.  The built in apps immediately have connection for live traffic, weather forecast with radar and real-time gas prices.

• Thumbsup 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, betoney said:

Having to use multiple apps for proper use is almost guaranteeing headaches and frustrations for the end user, Yamaha should look at a re-design with something more universal like Carplay/AA as already mentioned.  All of these high-tech features are selling points on a sales brochure but ultimately can be a PITA.

Garmin standalone GPS units integrate with a phone but there is no need to even touch the phone to open apps or connection 'procedure'.  Power the unit on, BT connection established, done.  The built in apps immediately have connection for live traffic, weather forecast with radar and real-time gas prices.

Interesting re: standalone GPS and your experience with it. I also have a Garmin Forerunner smartwatch which uses Garmin Connect app; sometimes it’s wear-and-forget, other times it just refuses to sync with the app. Hard shutdown and restart of Connect app +/- the watch is needed on occasion. Meanwhile AirPod headphone pairing is seamless and reliable.

Also re: multiple apps: only really need one for satnav, as the other Yamaha app is superfluous - ride logs, service reminders, parking location, virtual dashboard, and social media leaderboards(!).

Edit: CarPlay may not necessarily be the magic bullet either. In MCN’s NT1100 review they hammered its CarPlay implementation as essentially non-functional. And Kawasaki’s Rideology is widely reported by owners as more or less broken. So it seems the bike manaufacturers are still in beta development stage, in comparison to cars.

Edited by someguy
CarPlay

• Supporting Member
9 minutes ago, someguy said:

Interesting re: standalone GPS and your experience with it.

I also have a Garmin Forerunner smartwatch which uses Garmin Connect app; sometimes it’s wear-and-forget, other times it just refuses to sync with the app. Hard shutdown and restart of Connect app +/- the watch is needed on occasion. Meanwhile AirPod headphone pairing is seamless and reliable.

Correct, on my Garmin GPS, it doesn't require an app to function at all, the pre-installed app or "smart-features" are automatic when the device turns on and links via Bluetooth.  There is an option to use Garmin Drive app to create a route or trip but that could also be done within the unit itself, the app is purely a convenience option.

I also use a Garmin Vivoactive smart watch, but everything is done (synchronization or feature changes) when connected to my PC using Garmin Express, I don't use any app or smartphone connections.  I connect it to my PC to charge at which time it automatically links and synchronizes.

OK, updates for the spectators and future help seekers... significant mission progress.
Learnings:
First and foremost, one must complete a successful "initial install."  I did this by following the steps in the Yamaha Owner's Manual (Tracer 9 GT+) exactly as written.  It's somewhat challenging, because halfway through the process, you have to go back on the internet to load map and voice files to your phone, and they are a very large payload (N.America >5GB).  But, it works.

Second, and what I was originally seeking in this thread, is the procedure to use post-install, when you just want to get on, load the nav app, and get rolling.  Here's what worked today after more R&D.  Most valuable information came from Reddit (link from @betoney, above) and the Garmin FAQ link embedded in that Reddit thread. 

Note that in the steps below, "CCU" refers to the bike's communication unit, accessed through the APP menu.  I use an iPhone, so this is in that context.  This platform uses two apps on the phone.  MyRide - Link is a communication bridge app between the bike and the phone and leverages both Bluetooth (BT) and Wifi Hotspot technology provided by the bike's own electronics.  BT is for standard low bandwidth stuff like sound and headset stuff.  Wifi is needed, likely because the screen painting needs much more bandwidth (speculating)).

AND BEFORE SOME OF YOU START WITH THE GROUCHY OLD MAN CRAP... <grin>...
It ain't that hard, but I'm outlining carefully for people that are struggling with getting their heads around it for the first time. 

TL;DR...
connect bike to phone with BT
connect MyRide app to bike with BT connection
connect bike to phone with WiFi hotspot
open up Navigation app on bike across the Wifi connection
(total time about 90 seconds, then go ride)

-------------

Step by Step:

The real first step is to make sure that your CCU is connected via Bluetooth to your smartphone and through the Yamaha MyRide App.

to pair your CCU to your smartphone
1. on the ccu, SELECT SETTINGS
2. SELECT CONNECTIONS
3. SELECT BLUETOOTH
4. SELECT MAKE SYSTEM DISCOVERABLE
5. USE PHONE BT-SETTINGS PAGE TO PAIR PHONE WITH BIKE
6. CHECK THE PAIRING STATUS ON BIKE - under SMARTPHONE you should see music & phn both checked

to pair the MyRide App to your smartphone
1. on the CCU, still under SETTINGS
2. still under CONNECTIONS
3. SELECT PAIRING WITH THE MYRIDE LINK
4. GOTO MYRIDE LINK APP
5. SELECT MYRIDE LINK APP SETTINGS
6. on the ccu, SELECT "PAIRING WITH THE MYRIDE LINK"
    1. should see "check the app for instrux" on ccu
    2. check for "Connected" status showing on myride link app
    3. garmin faq page shows a (Vehicles > "+" > LBxxxxx) on the app

the next step is to ensure smartphone is connected to CCU WiFi hotspot
1. on CCU, still under SETTINGS
2. still under CONNECTIONS
3. select WIFI HOTSPOT
4. ensure WIFI HOTSPOT IS CHECKED
5. CONNECT SMARTPHONE TO WIFI HOTSPOT

you should now be able to project Motorize wirelessly to CCU display
1. make sure bluetooth and wifi connections are enabled per above
2. open Motorize app on smartphone
3. longpress the home button on the bike to wake Nav screen on bike.
4. you should be ready to ride.  

Note you can "curate" the Garmin Motorize app in your spare time off-bike.  Set your "home" location and save various destinations.  While I'm a big Waze user in the car, I can't imagine trying to use a touch-screen on the bike.  I certainly don't need nav tools for most of my riding, but when I'm trying to find new backroad twisties to tiny towns a hundred miles away, this has a lot of value.

There's a troubleshooting section in MyRide app, but I never got through that.  The steps above worked for me.  I'm sure after about five times, I probably won't think about it much at all.  good luck.  
--wheel^2

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2