racetech fork spring install questions

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, RD52 said:

Sonic Springs also has them in a 300mm length, drop right in. Back when I owned the company I worked with Nick Stolten to develop a size specifically for the FZ-9.

I "thought" that was the case, thanks for verifying that about Sonic. :) Would I want the FZ-9 springs or FJ-09 springs for my 20 Tracer GT? 

Edited by Ride365

my chinese mini lathe isnt quite happy about trying to mill the metal i was using, so im resorting to pvc. i found a setup of fittings that should get the job done, and i can take material off pvc MUCH easier on my lathe. updates later on.

On 5/31/2024 at 7:20 AM, Ride365 said:

I "thought" that was the case, thanks for verifying that about Sonic. :) Would I want the FZ-9 springs or FJ-09 springs for my 20 Tracer GT? 

If memory serves (I sold the company 5 years ago) they are the same, 36x300. You just need to pick the right rate.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

i used some sch40 pvc to make the spacers i needed and slipped them over the nub on the stock spacer. i have it setup so that there is a nub on the pvc that fits perfectly into the springs to keep everything nice and centered as well. i just got the bike back together as i have had a lack of ambition lately, but it feels pretty good. the 10wt oil i used in the forks is a little much, so im going to mix some 5wt and the 10wt 50/50 to make roughly a 7.5wt so i should have better adjustability.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
11 hours ago, trevinator said:

the 10wt oil i used in the forks is a little much, so im going to mix some 5wt and the 10wt 50/50 to make roughly a 7.5wt so i should have better adjustability.

You probably know this but for anyone else reading this thread, -remember to stick with the same brand fork oil when making damping adjustments since a 5w or 10w could be a COMPLETELY different viscosity between 2 different manufacturers. 

Honda HP 5w is rated 15 CST and Silkolene Pro 5W is rated 27 CST while both Honda HP 10w and Silkolene 10w are 35 CST.  As you can see by the chart, not all viscosity ratings are equal.

image.jpeg.18ebac51dc3d280317ade76291aa75a7.jpeg

Since the forks on the FJ don't have external compression damping adjustment, experiment with your oil viscosity so the compression feels correct and adjust the rebound damping with the clickers.

• Thanks 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

1 hour ago, betoney said:

You probably know this but for anyone else reading this thread, -remember to stick with the same brand fork oil when making damping adjustments since a 5w or 10w could be a COMPLETELY different viscosity between 2 different manufacturers. 

Honda HP 5w is rated 15 CST and Silkolene Pro 5W is rated 27 CST while both Honda HP 10w and Silkolene 10w are 35 CST.  As you can see by the chart, not all viscosity ratings are equal.

image.jpeg.18ebac51dc3d280317ade76291aa75a7.jpeg

Since the forks on the FJ don't have external compression damping adjustment, experiment with your oil viscosity so the compression feels correct and adjust the rebound damping with the clickers.

im using maxima shock fluid, blue label for both. i think a half and half mix should be good. i want it a little thicker than stock so it dampens the stiffer springs a bit better.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
7 minutes ago, trevinator said:

im using maxima shock fluid, blue label for both. i think a half and half mix should be good. i want it a little thicker than stock so it dampens the stiffer springs a bit better.

Yes, experimentation is key.  I found Motul 10w works -FOR ME- on my FJ and BelRay 15w for my VFR1200X (the oem hydraulic damping is terrible).

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member

PVC spacers top of oem spacer or between the stock spacer cut in half.  I use RaceTech spacer washers to fine tune preload.  Gorilla tape can be use to hold the bits together. 

A 16 CST fluid is close enough,  and again, fine tube with the OEM preload cap.

It isn't rocket science.  The Showa / Honda S7 5W is 16.5 cst @ 40C or there abouts.

5 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

PVC spacers top of oem spacer or between the stock spacer cut in half.  I use RaceTech spacer washers to fine tune preload.  Gorilla tape can be use to hold the bits together. 

A 16 CST fluid is close enough,  and again, fine tube with the OEM preload cap.

It isn't rocket science.  The Showa / Honda S7 5W is 16.5 cst @ 40C or there abouts.

im using the maxima 10Wt, or roughly 32cst currently. its a bit stiff, but not terrible with the stiffer springs now that i have put some miles on the setup. a slightly thinner oil in the forks seems like it would be better for my riding though, so i have a 5wt on the way to mix with the current 10wt to give a 7.5wt. whenever i feel like changing it that is.