Maintenance needs on Tracer 9 GT

Posted (edited)

Hi all...

Like I wrote in my introduction, I think about getting a Tracer 9 GT - I can't find anyone writing bad about it.

I am not really 100 % satisfied with my Vstrom 1050 (which I plan to keep though), as it is not really comfortable for long touring and also does not have a lot of tech gimmicks.

The 9 GT can connect to a phone... but has no Android Auto... this kind of sucks

Also, it seems that you need to maintain it more than a Vstrom 1050. I read in here about people TBS'ing and adjusting valves on their 900/9s

On a Vstrom 1050, you just change oil and filter. Yeah, ok... manual says 24000  kms, you need to check the valve clearing, but it really doesn't need any adjustment... and things like TBS is done automatically.

I also want a fast bike, and I guess that the 10% lower torque that the 9 GT has can be felt.

What are your insights on this?

Thanks...

Edited by bonne

• Supporting Member

Hi and welcome, 

Funny, I just did the 12,000mi service and I was drafting up a short thoughts:

Maintenance is simple, follow the schedule. Throttle body syncing was done for 1st generation of Tracers/FJ09s and then you were fine for the life of the bike usually. You could double the spark plug interval if you had the stock exhaust system too; valves every 24K. Some people only adjusted once to find that they never go out of spec later.

I'm on a Gen 3 (2021), maintenance is the same as Gen 1 except body work comes off easier as well as the gas tank. I just checked plugs at 12,000mi and replaced but they looked fine, could probably make it to 24,000. Strong idle so I didn't do a TB sync.

So you're basically just doing oil every 6,000mi (or twice a year for season change is what I do) brake and coolant fluid every 2-3 years depending on feel, plugs every 12,000mi, valves every 24K. Throttle Body sync is only required if something is wrong, and even before then it's recommended to just clean or replace the throttle position sensor and see if that fixes the issue.

Cheers.

EDIT: spark plug pictures pulled at 12,000mi, this includes running lean with two different aftermarket exhausts for a few hundred miles before ECU flash, decide for yourself if you'd ride it out to longer interval:

image.thumb.jpeg.8103c9856f2f50aa1fec515bddd2d238.jpeg

• Thumbsup 2

Go for it! I went from MT-10 to Tracer 9, I do miss the 0-100 on the MT-10.
But after that the Tracer wins all.

Welcome bonne. Hope you pull the trigger and get the T9. I just came off a 2018 900GT and splurged on a new 9GT+. There are some massive improvements (power increase, suspension, dash, switchgear, seat, etc) but also things I’m still not sure about. The gen 1 QS on the 900 was almost pointless as it was up only, whereas the new gen 3 is up and down. Clearly an improvement. However, it’s still easy to get clunky shifts if you’re not being careful and it gives me cause for concern over the gearbox longevity. By “careful “ I mean right engine speed and whether accelerating or decelerating to find the sweet spot. All the YouTube videos say how buttery smooth the shift is, up or down, but that’s not my experience. I even got the dealer to ride it to see if he concurred with my view. Needless to say, he found nothing wrong. My advice is to have a long test ride. It’s easy to be dazzled by all the tech but it’s ride quality that counts. 

• Thumbsup 1

Posted (edited)

Interesting you don't find the 1050 Strom comfortable for touring "it's known to be one of the best", and it also has quite a bit of tech gimmicks as well, what year is your 1050 by the way? I have owned 3 VStroms "2 1000's and a 650", and all were plagued with more issues and annoyances than a Tracer. Maintenance isn't hard on these bikes either, and all 3 of my Stroms needed their valves adjusted during the inspection. Tracer is for sure quicker/faster than a 1050, sounds better, handles better, is lighter, and that sweet inline 3 is worth buying the bike just for that. I find my Tracer to be more comfortable all around than the Stroms, but comfort is very subjective. :)  Good luck on whatever you decide, doubt you'd keep the Strom if you got a Tracer. ;)

Edited by Ride365