Small rant on tracer 9gt Yamaha rack

Picked up a 22 tracer gt and bought the Yamahas rear rack to go on it.  Holy parts removal Batman!!  Rack is held on by 3 bolts that you have to remove almost everything on the tail section for.   I suppose the plus side is I learned a little about the bike today during the install. Anyway rant over.  Pics to come soon if anyone is interested.  I think I prefer the rack for the previous gen 100%. 

• Premium Member

Sometimes after market accessories are better............ or at least less stressful..........

• Thumbsup 1

• 4 weeks later...

The manual said 6 minutes. The service guy, said its easy.

Well it is. But i do agree the mounting feels.. Cheap. But looks good.
Funny the holder says 5 KG max, and you get a sticker to put on that says 3kg. 

• Thumbsup 2

• 2 months later...

Just got hold of the rack for my Tracer 9 (was not available from Yamaha NL but there were 3 stores with one available, got one from Apeldoorn about an hour and a half from me).
I too thought it looked easy to install myself but after a bit of research it looks like a PITA. I'll keep you informed how it goes 😒

• Thumbsup 1

On 4/26/2024 at 11:20 AM, DavidS said:

Sometimes after market accessories are better............ or at least less stressful..........

Yea that's the path I took, went with SW-Motech rack + adaptor so I can swap my top case between the Tracer and C14. Rack was easy to install, 4 screws with loctite and called it good.

• Thumbsup 1

It is a lot of disassembly to get it on.  The rack was not available when I bought my T9GT in 2021 so I went with a SHAD rack and top case.  This was less to remove but had it's own difficulties like feeding the brake light harness through the mount.  I found the 45L case a bit big for short trips so I bought a 34L one which fits on the same top case plate as the 45L but does not work in reverse.

Edited by OldBikers

19 hours ago, OldBikers said:

It is a lot of disassembly to get it on.  The rack was not available when I bought my T9GT in 2021 so I went with a SHAD rack and top case.  This was less to remove but had it's own difficulties like feeding the brake light harness through the mount.  I found the 45L case a bit big for short trips so I bought a 34L one which fits on the same top case plate as the 45L but does not work in reverse.

Oldbiker I know what you mean I also have the SHAD side cases and instaling the mounting rack on the new (2024) bike was not without it's problems. I had also mounted the cases on my 2017 MT-09 Tracer without any problems just a few nuts and bolts but with my Tracer 9 it was much more fiddly (disconnecting 3 cables which were partially blocked) and lots of plates holding the mount under the licence plate support.

Got it on today, a lot of fasteners to remove the plastics but reasonably straight forward otherwise.
The good thing about this rack is that it doesn't interferre with the SHAD rack as the OEM one on my MT09 Tracer did (I had to use spacers to get them to fit together).

achterrek.jpg

On 5/21/2024 at 11:17 AM, volfi said:

The manual said 6 minutes. The service guy, said its easy.

Well it is. But i do agree the mounting feels.. Cheap. But looks good.
Funny the holder says 5 KG max, and you get a sticker to put on that says 3kg. 

Yeah I didn't understand that either especially as 5kg's is printed on the rack. Does this mean that it can't carry as much as they first thought?