Throttle body sync

Any concenses on a good set of gauges? Carbtune Pro, emgo, etc?

I think I'll get a set of four. 2 for beemers, 3 for fj and 4 for possible future use....

Sort of leaning towards the carbtune 4 as I used to use that style gauges years ago.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
Any concenses on a good set of gauges? Carbtune Pro, emgo, etc? 

Been covered. See the link for a few good reasons to choose Motion-pro. 

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
My hat off to you sir. I started doing this until I saw the limited space to start even removing some of the parts to get to screws, hose connect points, etc.

I closed it all up and payed the shop to do it. That claim nothing had to be done.

• 5 months later...
This thread is the first result when you google "FJ-09 throttle body sync," so I thought I'd throw my results in here.

Months ago I synced at my throttle bodies but I focused more on my trouble area of 4,500-5,000 RPM because that made logical sense and I figured it couldn’t hurt much to try. The bike was smoother than before, but not a huge improvement. I was still getting excessive vibrations at 4.5-5k that were so uncomfortable, I avoided that range whenever possible.

It seems that most manuals for most multi-cylinder bikes (some big twins excluded) specifically state that the sync should be performed at idle. I asked about this on another forum and received some great information:

“Being out of sync has the most effect on idle, small throttle openings and throttle response at small openings. At wider openings, small mis-adjustments have less effect the more the throttle is opened.“

This makes perfect sense, and someone else had another great point; since there is no load on the motor, syncing at higher RPM is likely very inaccurate.

Recently I dropped a socked under my tank and had to take the tank off to reach it, so I figured I would visit the sync again while I was there. I re-synced at idle and the result was a much smoother running bike. YMMV.

• Premium Member
I likewise check the sync at idle (airbox off on the FJ-09, not always required if you read on) and found it almost dead nuts on but still tweaked it because I'm a AR/OCD type A and to bring it also closer in the 4 ~ 6k RPM range. I did this after installing 3.5 mm hoses (without clamps because they're a very snug fit) that extend to the left side opening of the frame. At the ends of the hoses I inserted 5/32" barbed hose connectors (I had to buy online) to which my ancient PCCC manometer connects (yes that is real mercury in dem der tubes and I also have a TwinMax electronic balancer but since it only has two hose connections I did not want to have to keep swapping one hose between the 2 other cylinders). I used the OEM TB port caps with their clips to seal the end of my extension hoses, which neatly tucked up within ready reach under the tank so I can at least check TB sync in 5 minutes without first having to field strip the bike.

20170310_140818.jpg

20170318_173447.jpg

20170318_173502.jpg

20170318_174145.jpg

20170318_181119.jpg

20170318_181352.jpg

20170318_182545.jpg

Archived