2024 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GX

betoney

16 hours ago, texscottyd said:

Resurrecting an old thread here…

Does anyone have any personal experience with the GX model?  It keeps coming up in my initial searches for potential successors to my beloved FJ.   The positioning between sport-tourer and ADV bike (I’ve heard the term ‘tall-rounder’ used) seems to be right in line with what I want… 

https://suzukicycles.com/crossover/2024/gsx-s1000gx-plus

Do some Suzuki forum searches because I read somewhere that there were some things keeping people from being totally happy with them I think running wise. Might just need a flash to fix, I don’t remember exactly what it was, but on something I read a lot of owners were walking away from them fairly quickly. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Took a demo ride on this back in May.  Nice machine, but I found myself liking my 2019 GT better.  It just has more fun factor.  The foot pegs are higher on the Suzuki and I’m only 5’9”. So for that kind of money difference it would have to blow me away, which it didn’t.  

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, Yamajank said:

It just has more fun factor.

Great insight… thanks!   That’s my biggest concern, as I still find my FJ so engaging and fun to ride.   I’ve had it for 8+ years, but having a hard time finding anything significantly better as a replacement.  

• Thumbsup 3
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

I paid $8300 +T&L and the Shad panniers including their 3-P mounts & the Shad top case rack (I already had the SH46 & later added the SH29) and a BUNCH of carefully selected accessories (like the Givi case guards) because the Yamaha / Honda / Kawasaki dealer (from whom I'd also bought new my VTR1000F), believe it or not, matched and even beat the best prices of online sellers, AND then I rolled these costs into Yamaha's then ongoing very attractive financing program.

My point is, for a price point even 1.5 times more than what I've invested in my 15 Fastest Red bought new as a leftover in July 16 (I've done all the labor of course), nothing out there except maybe the 2024 KTM 890 SMT (of which I generally distrust KTMs reliability and warranty practices, with them  inexplicably only having basically one dealer for the 5 million Chicagoland population!) appeals to me.  Nothing else, after you verify actual curb wieghts and HP/#FT, have a comparable power-to-weight ratio AND offer the Dr Jeckle / Mr Hyde personality we "love".  Also, whereas I've massaged the forks and installed a Razor R shock (and up-sized the front brakes with radial MC, and of course got Dave's ECU flash and many other essential tweaks including a McCruise), I actually like the the shorter wheelbase and consequently quicker flickability.

So also given I currently (only) have 4 other steeds (down from 7 and I still am very crowded and must shuttle between two remote storage spaces), and with the life span and frequency of my riding future unfortunately in serious question, I'm very hesitant to invest in another but larger size, better quality "pair" of motorcycle pants (due to my forced more seditary lifestyle increasing my, uh, "mass", AND why are they called a pair?), let alone a 6th bike!

Decisions, decisions...

Not really

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
On 7/27/2024 at 5:53 PM, texscottyd said:

Resurrecting an old thread here…

Does anyone have any personal experience with the GX model?  It keeps coming up in my initial searches for potential successors to my beloved FJ.   The positioning between sport-tourer and ADV bike (I’ve heard the term ‘tall-rounder’ used) seems to be right in line with what I want… 

https://suzukicycles.com/crossover/2024/gsx-s1000gx-plus

On 7/28/2024 at 9:10 PM, texscottyd said:

Great insight… thanks!   That’s my biggest concern, as I still find my FJ so engaging and fun to ride.   I’ve had it for 8+ years, but having a hard time finding anything significantly better as a replacement.  

Scott

I still love my 2015 FJ and am in no hurry to replace it but I am always keeping informed on whats new and available.  My research always seems to come around to the BMW R1250RS.  I don't know anyone who has one and have never tried one for myself, but reviews are usually very positive.  At least on paper it seems like an incredible machine. 

https://ridermagazine.com/2022/11/10/2023-bmw-r-1250-rs-first-look-review/

image.jpeg.e4381b74dd8843ee3b257e8cf2c0aa38.jpeg

• Thumbsup 2
  • Thanks 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member

@betoney - You and I seem to really align on stuff like this…  I’ve been quietly eyeing the R1250RS for awhile.  I’ve ’built’ numerous versions via the website configurator, and agree that it looks like a stellar motorcycle.   

But the FJ (at least mine, with the way it’s been modified) is just so engaging and fun to ride…  I fear that anything ‘better’ will be boring by comparison.   It’s a decade behind all the latest tech, but it’s got personality.   

IMG_2603.jpeg.eaa6f31ae1a7cf4ade77174670cafd07.jpeg

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Premium Member

Where you guys got lost licking the pillion saddle of the RS is really by far behind (another pun) the very sleek and stylish barn door with some amazing metallic paint jobs and OEM available necessities of the RT !!!

you doofuses 🤤😝😎 LOL

It really is the perfect blend of sportiness and being able to haul some serious ass and weight behind something that allows you to enjoy even the worst weather (side winds can be sphincter clenching though) with its fairing heated grips heated seats and adjustable electric windscreen and CC

It also has GPS a little storage thingy which is pretty much useless in a way and PDG mirrors and wind deflectors 

, a comfort saddle and slip on rather than needing a whole pipe system, the RT it's just maybe 70 lbs too heavy but that's forgiven based on its performance IMO

• Thumbsup 1

My '19 GT with pre-COVID pricing is looking like a better value every year.

At age 56 and not a particularly high-mileage guy, this is probably my forever bike.

I've got too many other expensive hobbies to be dropping $20K on on bike, although I'd love to try the GSX. Looks like a hell of a bike.

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
On 7/30/2024 at 9:11 PM, texscottyd said:

But the FJ (at least mine, with the way it’s been modified) is just so engaging and fun to ride…  I fear that anything ‘better’ will be boring by comparison.   It’s a decade behind all the latest tech, but it’s got personality.  

I agree.  When the "latest and greatest" gets introduced at EICMA as the latest "must-have" I get all excited.  After the buzz wears off and reality sets in I ask myself, "what is lacking with my current bike that I am needing to improve with a new model?"   And the answer still remains ... "My '15 FJ checks all of the boxes and still puts a smile on my face, I'll keep it until it stops running".

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, roadwarrior said:

My '19 GT with pre-COVID pricing is looking like a better value every year.

At age 56 and not a particularly high-mileage guy, this is probably my forever bike.

I've got too many other expensive hobbies to be dropping $20K on on bike, although I'd love to try the GSX. Looks like a hell of a bike.

I said the same thing back in 2020, now I have an R1200GS in my garage. 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, betoney said:

I agree.  When the "latest and greatest" gets introduced at EICMA as the latest "must-have" I get all excited.  After the buzz wears off and reality sets in I ask myself, "what is lacking with my current bike that I am needing to improve with a new model?"   And the answer still remains ... "My '15 FJ checks all of the boxes and still puts a smile on my face, I'll keep it until it stops running".

Bri

So you wouldn't fix it if, for example, it needed wheel bearings or even a top end job?

• Supporting Member
11 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Bri

So you wouldn't fix it if, for example, it needed wheel bearings or even a top end job?

I have replaced the front wheel bearings and steering stem bearings but those are cheap. 

If the motor needed a complete teardown I suppose I would need to consider the bikes value vs. repair costs.  Considering the bike is soon to be a 10 years old model with almost 85,000 miles I'm not sure of its overall value, would I be spending close to what the bike is worth on repairs?