First real issue - Bike stopped suddenly mid ride!

• Premium Member

Skip, hips are no picnic but knees are worse 

In 2020 I got taken out by a mother bicyclist at 18 miles an hour and landed on my head and shoulder, which started me down this path.Believe it or not fourteen years ago i've been suffering since

Here's a rendering of my Full Monty to make you feel better hopefully with your recovery

I helped my wife through two hip replacements and a knee replacement within a twelve month period

Both my shoulders need to be redone as well as my hip , and then there's my neck Ha ha ha

spine (1).jpg

On 6/24/2024 at 2:40 PM, 2and3cylinders said:

Skip, hips are no picnic but knees are worse 

In 2020 I got taken out by a mother bicyclist at 18 miles an hour and landed on my head and shoulder, which started me down this path.Believe it or not fourteen years ago i've been suffering since

Here's a rendering of my Full Monty to make you feel better hopefully with your recovery

I helped my wife through two hip replacements and a knee replacement within a twelve month period

Both my shoulders need to be redone as well as my hip , and then there's my neck Ha ha ha

spine (1).jpg

Yikes 2and3. 
I think just avoiding the whole aging thing would be in all of our best interests. Umm yeah, wishful thinking. 

In other news, the bike ran fine, no codes? Intermittent is always the worst to fix  

-skio

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well, it happened again yesterday :( 

Cruising along on a nice, twisty backroad, and I felt a stutter, then no throttle input with the engine running. I turned the bike off and then back on, and it was fine. Then after stopping for some grub, got going again and not far down the road the same thing. This time the stutter was worse before the throttle cut off. 

I have already ordered a new OEM TPS. I reached out to MC Cruise, just in case they think it might be cruise related (I wasn't using the cruise at the time). In typical fashion, they responded right away (their customer support is the best!). They have seen this issue before, but it has been very sporadic and rare. In those cases, it was a relay in the cruise computer going bad. They gave me some tests to perform to verify if it is the cruise computer or the TPS. 

The CEL code is still the same for TPS voltage. I wish I could reliably replicate the problem to diagnose it properly. The remainder of the ride home, the bike was completely fine. 

Edited by draco_1967
  • Sad 1

• Supporting Member
8 hours ago, draco_1967 said:

Well, it happened again yesterday :( 

Cruising along on a nice, twisty backroad, and I felt a stutter, then no throttle input with the engine running. I turned the bike off and then back on, and it was fine. Then after stopping for some grub, got going again and not far down the road the same thing. This time the stutter was worse before the throttle cut off. 

I have already ordered a new OEM TPS. I reached out to MC Cruise, just in case they think it might be cruise related (I wasn't using the cruise at the time). In typical fashion, they responded right away (their customer support is the best!). They have seen this issue before, but it has been very sporadic and rare. In those cases, it was a relay in the cruise computer going bad. They gave me some tests to perform to verify if it is the cruise computer or the TPS. 

The CEL code is still the same for TPS voltage. I wish I could reliably replicate the problem to diagnose it properly. The remainder of the ride home, the bike was completely fine. 

Hmmm.  Interesting, or at least slightly concerning, to hear that the McCruise might have a hand in this.  Please let us all know what your testing involved for the McCruise or at least your findings.

I was becoming convinced from posts around this symptom, here and elsewhere, that it was the TPS that was/is the culprit.

Following with interest.....

15 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

Hmmm.  Interesting, or at least slightly concerning, to hear that the McCruise might have a hand in this.  Please let us all know what your testing involved for the McCruise or at least your findings.

I was becoming convinced from posts around this symptom, here and elsewhere, that it was the TPS that was/is the culprit.

Following with interest.....

I still think it might be the TPS. When my throttle has gone out, it hasn't been when the cruise is active. The cruise has worked flawlessly the whole time. The TPS signal does travel through the MCC computer, so it still could be that. 

Yesterday, I put the MCC in diagnostic mode and did a TPS calibration and test. It seemed OK. I went for a short ride hoping it would happen again so I can check the MCC computer for an error code (the asked me to pull the code next time it happens). I have no idea how to trigger the failure. I have tried bumpy roads, being harsh on the throttle, lots of quick acceleration, and even wiggling wires coming from the MCC brain. Nothing has made the error pop up. It really is random and unpredictable. The last time it happened was almost 4k miles ago, so who knows when it will do it again...

Their troubleshooting guide does have a section that talks about the throttle issue. They have "TPS calibration incorrect, TPS wiring fault, incorrect pinouts or damaged wire, and internal fault in cruise control computer" as the potential causes. 

I'll keep updating as I find out more. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

It took 1300 miles, but it happened again. The throttle cut out while cruising on the highway. I pulled the code from the MCC computer, and it showed "10" (single, long blink every few seconds), which is "changed gear or clutch slip, ignition system wiring/connection fault."

I sent that information to MCC, and they asked me to send in the computer for diagnostic and firmware update. I'll be interested to see what comes of that. MCC's customer service really is awesome. It is unfortunate that they are on the other side of the globe, but they definitely stand behind their product. 

I will jump the TPS input/output on the MCC wiring harness, so the bike will be operable while the computer is gone for a few weeks. I will ride as much as I can to see if I still get the issue to come up. That would indicate it is the TPS or a wiring connection issue. I will also check the ETV fuse skipperT indicated. I will probably also leave the check engine light on. The issue seems to happen more if I don't clear the code. When I clear the code, it takes ages to pop up again, but if I am on a long ride (hundreds of miles+) and it happens, it almost certainly will happen again before I return home to clear the code. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
11 hours ago, draco_1967 said:

It took 1300 miles, but it happened again. The throttle cut out while cruising on the highway. I pulled the code from the MCC computer, and it showed "10" (single, long blink every few seconds), which is "changed gear or clutch slip, ignition system wiring/connection fault."

I sent that information to MCC, and they asked me to send in the computer for diagnostic and firmware update. I'll be interested to see what comes of that. MCC's customer service really is awesome. It is unfortunate that they are on the other side of the globe, but they definitely stand behind their product. 

I will jump the TPS input/output on the MCC wiring harness, so the bike will be operable while the computer is gone for a few weeks. I will ride as much as I can to see if I still get the issue to come up. That would indicate it is the TPS or a wiring connection issue. I will also check the ETV fuse skipperT indicated. I will probably also leave the check engine light on. The issue seems to happen more if I don't clear the code. When I clear the code, it takes ages to pop up again, but if I am on a long ride (hundreds of miles+) and it happens, it almost certainly will happen again before I return home to clear the code. 

Sorry to hear that you're still having the same problem!  Very interested to see what the boys at MCC have to say too.

Following with interest.

• Thumbsup 1