okey dokey let's talk tires...

Larz

On 2/28/2022 at 2:02 AM, Sunde said:

I'v tired a bunch of different tires (on different bikes mind you) Pirilli Angle GT II's, Bridgestone T30-31-32 Metzler Roadtech 01SE and Road 5's. 
 Not to mention S21 and S22's ofc (the more "sporty" choices
Frankly the S21/S22 etc are a WASTE if you do street riding only - Unless you go really freaking fast on the street. (Each to his own) I personally loved the handeling on the Angle GT II, also the general feel of the tire, seemed superb even in wet cold weather. They wore off a little fast, around 5k miles for the rear.
The Bridgestone tires are my GoTo, Nüburgring, wet cold road, whatever you want they have never given me reason to doubt them. T32 is the newset tire in the lineup, and it was dope on my VFR.
 S22's  also have decent milage but again i find they'd be a better fit for somehting like an MT10 where you really intend to go nutz, and have an engine that can use that level of grip.

Am waiting for my angel st, ordered from tradeinn.com. For me, it's summer most of the months as am in saudi. Let's see how good it is

Considering my pretty tame riding style, the Roadsmart IVs fit the bill! Pics are from the Cabot Trail in the Cape Breton Highlands and Briar Island at the bottom of Digby Neck (takes two small ferries to get there) in Nova Scotia, Canada. 

IMG_4195.jpeg

IMG_3116.jpeg

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

On 8/27/2024 at 12:16 AM, Chowda said:

I've decided that when I need new tires I'll likely look for the Roadsmart IVs. Lots of good reviews on them. 

Or the tried and true Roadsmart III for less money, I sure did like them on my Tracer.

• Thumbsup 1

16 hours ago, Ride365 said:

Or the tried and true Roadsmart III for less money, I sure did like them on my Tracer.

I'll take that into consideration. I don't mind saving money for good value.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, Dave in Utah said:

I'm by no means a fast or quick rider.  

Its never too late to change that, just saying. 👍 You have the perfect bike for spirited riding. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

19 hours ago, betoney said:

Its never too late to change that, just saying. 👍 You have the perfect bike for spirited riding. 

Yeah, I'm working on it.  The backstory is that I learned to ride on San Diego/LA freeways and then Houston, where the only twisty roads were freeway interchanges.  (I was in the Navy and didn't have the time/inclination to really explore the twisty California roads.  I was also riding a '63 R60/2.)   Then I moved to Eastern Washington and rode a succession of clapped out CB750s, then moved to Western Washington (30 years) and rode a succession of Airheads with marginal (for today) tires and virtually non-existent brakes.  And I rode a lot in the rain.  Then I got a Concours, then an ST1300, both of which can be ridden VERY fast, but are kind of pigs in the corners, and in the case of the Connie, the brakes are not the bike's best (or even second best) feature.  And a succession of KLRs.  Then I moved to Utah, and quit riding for four or five years.   I got a Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 to re-learn how to ride.  What I also learned is that Royal Enfield Interceptors have really shitty Indian tires, marginal brakes and a fairly primative suspension.  Other than that they're fine bikes.  Then, this summer I did an Edelweiss Best of Europe tour on a Tracer 700.  What I found out there was I REALLY didn't know how to ride well in corners.  (Hint:  Everything in Germany, Austria and Switzerland is a corner or a switchback.) The 700 had a hard time keeping up with 1250, 1300 and 1600 BMWs.  I mostly stayed behind one of the four Harleys, and did OK.  I also relearned that I don't like riding in groups of ten or more riders, but it was still a blast.  (And the autobahns are highly overrated, but that's another story.)

So, I got home, got the Tracer, and now I'm slowly relearning how to ride better in the corners.  Yes, you probably can't find a better multipurpose bike for the task.  Even with the stock tires it corners almost by itself.  However, at 71, I'm pretty cautious and in no hurry to go fast quickly. 

Still waiting for feedback on the GPR-300s.   

Edited by Dave in Utah
  • Thumbsup 2
  • Like 2