okey dokey let's talk tires...

Larz

Hi, all.

Thanks for the helpful feedback throughout this thread. I’m putting Road 6 GTs on in a couple of weeks and did not see too much discussion between them and the non-GT spec. Does anyone run the GT spec? 

25 minutes ago, Tim16 said:

Hi, all.

Thanks for the helpful feedback throughout this thread. I’m putting Road 6 GTs on in a couple of weeks and did not see too much discussion between them and the non-GT spec. Does anyone run the GT spec? 

There's no reason to run GT spec.  The GT version is just designed for (much) heavier bikes than the Tracer; they don't offer increased mileage or better grip.  Edit: It shouldn't HURT anything either, but they generally cost more.  

Edited by Wintersdark
  • Thumbsup 2

i at one point bought a set of pr4's for my versys 650 from dennis kirk. they were COMPLETELY out of round and made my bike shake from 30mph up. maybe its because of where bought them from, but that left a bad taste in my mouth for michelin tires. now dont get me wrong, the grip they had felt AMAZING in the short mile or two i had them on the bike, but i could never get over that horrible out of round quality that they had. maybe i would have better luck from say revzilla on the pilot road tires? i LOVED how they felt as far as traction, but the out of round was unbearable.

7 hours ago, Tim16 said:

Hi, all.

Much stiffer carcass. They’re actually designed for heavy tourers, not anything as light as the Tracer. 
I find the normal Road 6 very stiff compared to other sport touring tires, and run them a much lower pressure as I find them too harsh. 
Surprised the salesman didn’t alert you to the fact. 

• Thumbsup 1

12 hours ago, trevinator said:

i at one point bought a set of pr4's for my versys 650 from dennis kirk. they were COMPLETELY out of round and made my bike shake from 30mph up. maybe its because of where bought them from, but that left a bad taste in my mouth for michelin tires. now dont get me wrong, the grip they had felt AMAZING in the short mile or two i had them on the bike, but i could never get over that horrible out of round quality that they had. maybe i would have better luck from say revzilla on the pilot road tires? i LOVED how they felt as far as traction, but the out of round was unbearable.

Dennis Kirk is the store front for the Parts Unlimited company which is the main supplier of aftermarket parts for most motorcycle shops and powersports suppliers in the US. I’ve bought dozens, probably close to 100, tires from them over the years and never had an issue. Revzilla even gets supplies from them so I doubt you’d have had any difference in them based on where they were bought.

Did you reach out to them after? I’m sure they’d have taken them back in a heartbeat. I’ve also run Roads and know a lot of people who have and have yet to get a bad set. Weird. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

Rocky mountain MTV motorcycle is another good source for Bridgestone and I've had good luck with the t32 and s21 especially when they had rebates that brought a set down to 200 bucks shipped basically

• Thumbsup 1

A friend and I are co-hosts of a sport-touring podcast, and we realized that maybe we should share the tire data we were emailing back and forth anyway.

He coded up a neat little presentation of data on sport-touring rubber available in the US, and we keep it updated:

https://tro.bike/digitools/motorcycle-tires/

I've been using the Dunlop RoadSmart III on my FJ-09 for the past 27,000 miles and four sets, mainly because until this year you could get them dirt nasty cheap, $240/set. Great performance and longevity for the money; I usually got around 6,000 miles of heinous abuse out of a set. They jumped in price to $380 (and the RS4 is $482 a set), so we started looking for alternatives.

FWIW, I have a set of Dunlop Mutants on deck right now (only about $20 more than the RS3) that will get spooned on in a week or two, then thrashed mercilessly in Wisconsin. I'll report back, but I expect good things. 

Edited by bwringer
  • Thumbsup 2

Red 2015 FJ-09, among other things. Co-Host of The Riding Obsession, a Sport-Touring Motorcycling Podcast

On 7/23/2024 at 8:38 AM, miweber929 said:

Dennis Kirk is the store front for the Parts Unlimited company which is the main supplier of aftermarket parts for most motorcycle shops and powersports suppliers in the US. I’ve bought dozens, probably close to 100, tires from them over the years and never had an issue. Revzilla even gets supplies from them so I doubt you’d have had any difference in them based on where they were bought.

Did you reach out to them after? I’m sure they’d have taken them back in a heartbeat. I’ve also run Roads and know a lot of people who have and have yet to get a bad set. Weird. 

its not the only set of tires that i got from dennis kirk that were blems! i ordered a set of 28" mudlites for 14" wheels for my atv from denniskirk. i got sent 3 good tires and one blem. returned it, sent another blem, and then a third time as well. one even had part of the stamp of blem on it that they didnt wipe off! and guess which tire is out of round and wobbles the whole bike on pavement...... maybe its when they have sales is when not to buy things from them because that might just be when they are getting rid of blems like that.

• Sad 1

On 7/25/2024 at 8:45 AM, trevinator said:

its not the only set of tires that i got from dennis kirk that were blems! i ordered a set of 28" mudlites for 14" wheels for my atv from denniskirk. i got sent 3 good tires and one blem. returned it, sent another blem, and then a third time as well. one even had part of the stamp of blem on it that they didnt wipe off! and guess which tire is out of round and wobbles the whole bike on pavement...... maybe its when they have sales is when not to buy things from them because that might just be when they are getting rid of blems like that.

Sorry you’ve had such bad experiences. Not been the case with me, my family or my friends, sale items not withstanding. 

Anyone have any experience with the Pirelli Angel ST? (Not the GT).

Pricing looks mighty tasty at the moment, $235/set.

https://tro.bike/digitools/motorcycle-tires/?sortby=price

Also, I'm signed up for a track day on Labor Day, and pondering appropriate shoes... thoughts?

Red 2015 FJ-09, among other things. Co-Host of The Riding Obsession, a Sport-Touring Motorcycling Podcast

• 2 weeks later...

Brief update: Went with a set of Roadsmart IVs instead (it’s a long story). Pleased all around and now ready for ~3500km tour of Cape Breton and the south shore of Nova Scotia here in eastern Canada next week. 

• Thumbsup 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Supporting Member

KTM's 1290 SDGT came with Conti Sport Attack 4 and while the front kind of felt wooden at higher PSI I absolutely loved the rear's performance and shape, super easy to get the bike to 45 degrees lean, even getting my knee down on a few of my favorite corners. But I only got ~2400mi out of the rear at the wear bars, so I looked into Conti's Road Attack 4 (sport touring tire) and found a cool post on the Versys1000 forum where a member shows the tire shape difference between a few of the top-end sport touring models:
https://www.versys1000.com/index.php?topic=23885.0

This is a 42º max lean angle on the Metzeler, notice the massive chicken strips:
image.png

This is 41º max lean angle on the Road 6, with a much smaller unused area compared to the Metzeler:
image.png

And this is 44º max lean on the roadAttack 4, with barely any chicken strips:
image.png

I find it interesting how flat/square the Metzeler Roadtec 01 se tires are, definitely trading some tip-in ability for touring stability.

I've got 600mi on the Conti Road Attack 4 and couldn't be happier, definitely puts the "sport" in sport touring. It's pretty much the Sport Attack 4 but with more rain siphons and a hard strip of compound in the middle. Expensive buggers though, hoping I get at minimum 6,000mi.

• Thumbsup 2
  • Thanks 1