20 minutes of idling…..

NormR

Before I put away my two bikes for the winter I brought them out of the garage and started them up. One thing or another got in the way and it was a good 20 minutes before I got back to them. As I was nearing them the tracer cut out. I was surprised because I had enough gas  and only could see that as a reason for it to stop running. I restarted it with out any hesitation. My question is,  do our bikes have an auto shutdown programmed to avoid unnecessary overheating or such? Never heard of anything like that so it be a first for me

I am sure I have heard or read of this. A safety feature that cuts the motor if the CPU gets no input from rider for a fair while. It covers a scenario where a bike ends up crashed but upright enough to not trigger the tilt switch shut-off. 

Happy to be corrected by someone who definitely knows either way!!

• Thumbsup 1

In the PDF version of the owners manual on page 5-1 it says

Operation and important riding points

TIP
This model is equipped with:

an engine auto-stop system. The
engine stops automatically if left
idling for 20 minutes. If the engine
stops, simply push the start
switch to restart the engine.

Edited by geko
  • Thumbsup 4
  • Thanks 5

4 hours ago, geko said:

TIP

Thanks for confirming my suspicions. I went thru the manual a while ago but missed that point👍

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, geko said:

TIP

Thanks for posting, I was unaware of that feature.  I'm still able to learn something new every day. 👍

• Thumbsup 3

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member

Good to know!!  I think this happened once and I chalked it up to a glitch.

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Supporting Member
7 hours ago, knyte said:

Good to know!!  I think this happened once and I chalked it up to a glitch.

I have got into the habit, that if stuck at some road works for an extended time for example, of shutting down the bike just to keep it from getting overheated and kicking the fan in constantly.

I think I would have had a mild panic attack if I'd let it run and it had shut itself down -  not knowing what I know now. 😏

Always learning.....

• Thumbsup 3

I hope this feature doesn’t interfere with the remote starter I’ve installed for this winter morning riding! :)

• Haha 1
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

I have got into the habit, that if stuck at some road works for an extended time for example, of shutting down the bike just to keep it from getting overheated and kicking the fan in constantly.

I think I would have had a mild panic attack if I'd let it run and it had shut itself down -  not knowing what I know now. 😏

Always learning.....

+1

Like at long freight train crossing stops...

Always a real concern in hot weather.  When I see the gates down from afar, I stop before in the shade when possible.

Better for me and bike.

• Thumbsup 2

6 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

I do the same, where for me "extended" means 2 minutes. If I am stopped for a long train, I shut off the bike immediately. I keep my batteries in good condition so starting is not an issue.

I still can't get my head around why people would idle their bikes for anything more than a minute or so. Even in cold weather I only idle for a minute or so as I put on the remainder of my gear and then I ride the bike gently in the next couple of minutes to warm it up under load. Do the same with my truck and car.

• Thumbsup 1

Regards, Grumpy Goat | 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT & 2016 BMW R1200RS

• Supporting Member

While I'm not at all in the habit of long idles, the odd occurrence doesn't bother me one bit. Engines are more efficient when they're warm (meaning:  the warmer the thermostat cut off, the better - within limits, of course), so I've never felt the need to ensure any of my vehicles run cooler than what they were engineered for.

It's not overheating when the fan starts - that's just temperature regulation at work.  Now, if the fan doesn't stop and/or the temp doesn't drop - THAT's a problem.

• Thumbsup 3

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

I balance it out at stops...delaying turn-off since running it keeps the coolant flowing through the engine.  I suspect that the internal temperature actually goes up a bit when you shut her off. Had a classic car that did that.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
6 hours ago, knyte said:

While I'm not at all in the habit of long idles, the odd occurrence doesn't bother me one bit. Engines are more efficient when they're warm (meaning:  the warmer the thermostat cut off, the better - within limits, of course), so I've never felt the need to ensure any of my vehicles run cooler than what they were engineered for.

It's not overheating when the fan starts - that's just temperature regulation at work.  Now, if the fan doesn't stop and/or the temp doesn't drop - THAT's a problem.

I hear you knyte but I wonder if the decision to shut down or not might also be influenced by where we live?

Where I live much of my riding is done in temperatures that are in the high 20s to low 30s with relatively high humidity, so sitting atop a heater in the sun in full ATGATT for extended periods also makes the decision to shut down very easy for me. 🙂

• Thumbsup 2