Shifting issues with boots on...

I purchased a pair of Oxford riding boots last year and purposely went with something thin soled and not too massive. Ive been using hiking shoes with no issues and thought Id try the boots for the first time on my Tracer 900. Same issue as on my previous Honda. I have to consciously place my toe under the lever for each uphsift.   Not fun.   Will rotating the lever on the spline allow enough room to make this a no brainer? Im a size 12...

Edited by Garz747
spell error

There’s a threaded rod on the shifter, so you can adjust the pedal height until it makes sense for your feet/boot combination. You shouldn’t need to move it on the splines.

• Thumbsup 4

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, Garz747 said:

I purchased a pair of Oxford riding boots last year and purposely went with something thin soled and not too massive. Ive been using hiking shoes with no issues and thought Id try the boots for the first time on my Tracer 900. Same issue as on my previous Honda. I have to consciously place my toe under the lever for each uphsift.   Not fun.   Will rotating the lever on the spline allow enough room to make this a no brainer? Im a size 12...

Yes, all of the input controls are adjustable to fine tune to fit you.  Handlebar risers, handlebar tilt, clutch and brake lever tilt up and down and shift and brake lever height.  As @BBB mentioned, there is an adjustment rod for the shifter height which allows for a large range of height settings.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Hah I just bought my first set of boots for this trip, and as I'm offroad riding on the Tenere as well I went with full sized adv boots (Forma ADV Tourer boots)... Went for a ride, and realized I couldn't shift with my foot on the peg at all - had to pull my foot off the peg, turn it inwards and hook the shifter up with my toe.  Lol.

But yeah, there's the rod on the linkage you can turn to adjust, and you can move it on the splines as well, but Iyou don't want to offset on the splines much as that'll change the mechanical advantage (and stroke?) of the shifter.

Note that the two nuts unscrew in different directions, as one of the two sets of threads is reversed.

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member

I had to move the shifter up a spline when I got my touring boots, too.

It's easy.

• Thumbsup 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

Such a timely thread to discover, literally yesterday I bought a new pair of Joe Rocket boots at a dealer, left on my bike and immediately had major problems shifting.  It was literally all I could do just to get my foot under the shifter.  I looked at the linkage and decided not to alter it, as the end of the shifter (the little piece that sticks out and gets contacted by your foot) would have to be set at about 1.5 inches higher than the level of the foot peg.  Didn't want to do that , especially after considering downshifting.  Returned the boots .  They did seem thicker than average which would help explain this.  Edit:  just spent some time looking at boots online, Joe Rocket boots seem to produce this complaint a lot in the customer reviews.   I may re-visit this later, I currently have short boots.. AlpineStars SMX-1 R   and I'm getting tired of drafts/coldness around the ankles.  But AlpineStars also do a better job of accommodating a wider foot so i will stay with that brand next time I decide to spend some cash.

On 10/28/2021 at 1:30 PM, Skidood said:

Such a timely thread to discover, literally yesterday I bought a new pair of Joe Rocket boots at a dealer, left on my bike and immediately had major problems shifting.  It was literally all I could do just to get my foot under the shifter.  I looked at the linkage and decided not to alter it, as the end of the shifter (the little piece that sticks out and gets contacted by your foot) would have to be set at about 1.5 inches higher than the level of the foot peg.  Didn't want to do that , especially after considering downshifting.  Returned the boots .  They did seem thicker than average which would help explain this.  Edit:  just spent some time looking at boots online, Joe Rocket boots seem to produce this complaint a lot in the customer reviews.   I may re-visit this later, I currently have short boots.. AlpineStars SMX-1 R   and I'm getting tired of drafts/coldness around the ankles.  But AlpineStars also do a better job of accommodating a wider foot so i will stay with that brand next time I decide to spend some cash.

So, I considered the Joe rocket boots, but decided against them and spent more money (I couldn't really afford to spend) on the Forma Adventure Touring boots. I have very wide and flat feet, which makes boot width a critical factor. They're insanely comfortable, easy to walk in, and I can manage shifting easily with just raising the shift lever slightly above the footpeg (which is wierd for me admittedly, as I'm used to it being very low). Totally waterproof, too, even when riding in torrential rain for hours.  Strongly recommended.  But they are not cheap.

I wanted a set of regular Forma Adventure short boots, but they didn't have them in the right size, so I got the Adventure Tourers in full length .. and I'm glad I did.  Easier to walk in.

• Thumbsup 2

I like a good pair of boots for the protection but something I can walk in as well.  Current boots are Sedi waterproof sport/race boots I got on close out several years ago.  Very well made with great protection, replaceable toe sliders and ankle protection but the sole and toe box are not too thick so shifting hasn’t been an issue on three different bikes.  Been looking at new boots, hard to find similar new ones that are not hundreds.

Not hard to adjust linkage as mentioned above but I’ve found boots that are good for walking are usually good for shifting.  On the very rare time I ride my bike with running shoes i really notice the shift lever on top of my foot!   

Feet and ankles are east to hurt in a drop or crash.  Why I like the taller boots, I don’t like hobbling around on crutches.  I do have a favorite pair of crutches and like to keep them in the closet. 

On 10/28/2021 at 3:30 PM, Skidood said:

FWIW......Update...bought a pair of Alpine Stars ...  https://www.chromeburner.com/ca/en/alpinestars-air-plus-v2-goretex-black-xcr-motorcycle-boots?utm_source=google&utm_medium=surfaces&utm_campaign=shopping_feed&utm_content=free_shopping_clicks&gclid=Cj0KCQjw_fiLBhDOARIsAF4khR35WbSo2Gj9bWQWynIgMwW0trErLxHRKHrLLYyP0O8oX9wYr1na7MYaAljhEALw_wcB

Adjusted shifter up about 1/2 - 3/4"

Did 330 km yesterday

Pretty comfortable for walking...for MC boots.

Dainese are too narrow for me. 

Found out these boots are not warm while riding in 9 degree C weather at 60-80 MPH

I was told putting a bread bag over your foot (over polyester socks) helps.  Maybe there is enough room in there for thicker socks....but when your feet are squished they get cold anyway due to lack of blood circulation.

• Thumbsup 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just play with adjustments to you find what's right for you. 

My riding boots are pretty thick. My work boots are ultra lightweight thin combat boots. I keep mine adjusted so I barely have to work to get my thick riding boots under the lever, but the trade of is is not too far off a reach when I have my combat boots on. 

Make sight adjustments every week or so, You'll eventually find a comfy compromise.

Having limited movement in my ankle,  I have the same issues, and couldn't get on with moto-x style boots. I have sliced off the upper and lower ribbed areas on the shift rubber. Saves about 5 mm both sides. Doesn't sound much but reduces the pivot angle enough to be worthwhile for me. For info, for my FJ12 I fabricated a double ended shift lever (like a horizontal vee shape - hope that makes sense). That was a faff to make but worked really well.