"Hey, yer headlight's out!"

A simple topic -- how many concerned, helpful strangers have appeared to inform you that your right headlight isn't working?

Two so far for me. Nothing extraordinary to relate, just friendly citizens. One guy was so concerned that he waited for me outside an outhouse in a state park.

I've even heard tales of riders with similar one/two low/high headlight setups having trouble with police. Maybe this is common enough now that it's not as much of a problem. 

On a semi-related note, can I just remark on how damn good the stock LED headlights are on these things? Just about the best I've experienced on any vehicle.

• Thumbsup 1

In our area, the cops know little to nothing about motorcycle laws so it's a mixed grab bag.
I've know people with full on led light shows under their bike not being hassled while a friend on an FJR get cited for exhibition driving while standing up to stretch his legs.

It's kind of moot now since our police are so neutered in MN they don't even pull people over for minor traffic violations like expired license tabs in minneapolis/st paul.

As you expect, motorcycle theft is through the roof. Friend on a new R1M has been tried to be blocked in by cars on two occasions this year downtown in an attempt to steal the bike.

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, kilo3 said:

I've know people with full on led light shows under their bike not being hassled while a friend on an FJR get cited for exhibition driving while standing up to stretch his legs

Had a coworker tell me about the "dangerous riding" when she saw a rider stand up. We realized she was talking about me. 😄 

• Haha 4

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, 1moreroad said:

Had a coworker tell me about the "dangerous riding" when she saw a rider doing a stand-up wheelie. We realized she was talking about me. 😄 

There.  Fixed that for you… 😉

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 5

• Premium Member

Bike thefts in the twin cities are bad huh?! Two or more cars tried to rustle his R1M! Twice?! Scarey! He got away both times?.  I get BLM but defunding police who are already overstretched and under budgeted will lead to new wild wild west lawlessness!

Here in Chicago carjackings are already up over 120% over 2020, which was 50% higher than 2019!  It's also a pandemic along with gun violence!  Long time Chicago residents are fleeing to the burbs or other states between the shootings, carjacking and taxes.

To topic, I have been warned about my FJ  headlight, and stopped once by a WI local yokel on my VTR due to my headlight modulator; which I also run on my FJ.

• Thumbsup 1

True story.  While riding my ZX6R (which I no longer own), a rather heavy set woman who appeared to be in her late 50's stopped her Chevy Suburban in front of me, got out of the vehicle and walked back to my bike to tell me I had a headlight out.  Rather than bother explaining to her that it runs one on low beam and two on high I just lifted my visor and said, "Okay, thank you".  She stood there for a moment then tapped her finger on the front of my bike and told me I must have an electrical short or some sort of problem with the bike.  I replied, "Thanks, I will get it checked out".  

At this point I am just wanting to be on my way and this portly hag was standing in front of me, just looking at me like she had something more she wanted to say.  Finally she says, "Well.......I am a Harley Rider", and gives me a smug grin.  At this point I realized that all she wanted to do was point out that she is special and rides a superior machine.  So I asked her what that was supposed to mean, and she repeated her smug smile and shrugged her shoulders. 

At this point I am a bit annoyed by her smugness, especially coming from a sloppily dressed bovine woman who has probably no clue about motorcycles other than her pathetic, sheep like devotion to a brand and image. 

Just before closing my visor and swerving around her to be on my way I said, "It means that you ride an antiquated piece of shit."  She was still standing there in her ignorant disbelief when I shifted into second gear and checked my mirror.  😁  

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

CHATTANOOGA, TENNESSEE -- After yet another person pointed out that it looked burnt out, the high-beam headlight on a local Yamaha MT-10 is now starting to think that it may actually be burnt out. 

“I’ve always enjoyed my job as the right-side headlight,” said the high beam. “It’s a part time gig and I really think I shine brightly in it. I’ve always thought I had several more years under my belt but that’s starting to change.”

Many high beams working in a dual-headlight environment are also letting doubts start to ruin their confidence.

“I understand that there will always be a few morons around, but there can’t be that many stupid cagers out there… right?” high beam said. “I can hardly go out in public without someone telling me to my face that I’m burnt out. There has to be something to that.”

As a result, many high beams are requesting that they are moved to more full-time positions.

“I appreciate you guys running this story, but I’m afraid no amount of PSA announcements will be able to sway the opinions of these cagers out there,” high beam said. “It’s just not worth pleading my case each time I go out. I might as well pretend to be the low beam and get on with my life.”

Sauce:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CUEQ0B_oeoU

On 9/29/2021 at 7:22 AM, kilo3 said:

In our area, the cops know little to nothing about motorcycle laws so it's a mixed grab bag.
I've know people with full on led light shows under their bike not being hassled while a friend on an FJR get cited for exhibition driving while standing up to stretch his legs.

It's kind of moot now since our police are so neutered in MN they don't even pull people over for minor traffic violations like expired license tabs in minneapolis/st paul.

As you expect, motorcycle theft is through the roof. Friend on a new R1M has been tried to be blocked in by cars on two occasions this year downtown in an attempt to steal the bike.

This is something that's been an endless frustration for me.  So many cops do not know the laws they are enforcing, but people ask their opinions on what is/isn't legal, then feel that's the absolute hard truth.

But then maybe you're doing something a cop said was legal but wasn't, or are doing something that's perfectly legal but a cop feels isn't, and the next thing you know you've got an expensive citation, or the need to take a bunch of time off work to defend yourself in court (and maybe get it dropped, maybe not).  

• Supporting Member

I have to admit, the first time I saw a MC with dual beams it did look a little odd.

Personally, my own bike is someone else's problem - it's not like I can see the bulb(s).

It's funny how anything other than perfect symmetry short circuits our brain!

• Thumbsup 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

4 hours ago, knyte said:

It's funny how anything other than perfect symmetry short circuits our brain!

When BMW went to those really doofy asymmetric headlights a while back, it bugged the hell out of me. They looked like Popeye.

They're still asymmetric on the GS models, but they've at least made them look a little less doofy.

• Thumbsup 1