2019 Tracer 900 for sale-Better than new!

Salish900

My wife and I are planning a South America trip that will have some amount of gravel roads. I haven't ridden off road before so I needed to get a bike that could let me practice. I picked up a Guzzi Stelvio NTX that will do the trick on road and off. 19" front wheel and switchable ABS. I only bought this Tracer in October of 2020, so it is less than a year of ownership. 

• Thumbsup 3

• Premium Member

If you are an Adv newbie, I hate to say it but a big Goose may be more than a handful for you.  It's even heavier than the Tracer and those big jugs are just waiting to kiss terra firma.  Does it not also need 91 octane; which is not always available even in the US.  Though almost as heavy, an old Honda Transalp would take it well, or even a nice used and farkeled Yamaha Super T or Honda Africa Twin.  Then again even a new Tenere 700 would IMO have been a much better (and cheaper) choice.

But I guess that's water under the bridge, so good luck with your trip (and sale)!

• Thumbsup 1

I'm not taking the Guzzi to South America. It's only for practicing on around these parts. I ride 95% on road on long trips (West Coast long trips, not multi-state East trips that may cover all of 200 miles!), and I have to say the Stelvio is the most comfortable bike I've ever ridden. The previous owner did several BDR routes on her and she is set up with all the protection she needs for taking a nap. I got her for a good deal used. And I have to say it is not only comfortable, but by far the easiest bike to work on I've ever had. No plastic off to reach crap, and valves take 15 minutes. I'll gain enough experience on the gravel roads that abound around here in WA to do whatever we need to do on the trip. We plan to rent bikes down there since shipping is pretty much a nonstarter these days and costs nearly as much as renting. 

• Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member

Ok cool

I had an old El Dorado copbike probably 45 years ago but I lived in Socal then.  Problem is, like Aprilia and Piaggio, there are no dealers in the Chicago metropolitan area to speak of and parts and reliability etc I've heard can be problematic.

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, Salish900 said:

I'm not taking the Guzzi to South America. It's only for practicing on around these parts.  We plan to rent bikes down there since shipping is pretty much a nonstarter these days and costs nearly as much as renting. 

OK, this makes much more sense.  I thought the same as @2and3cylinders that you and the wife were planning the adventure of a lifetime and riding to S.A.  Was thinking to myself "He's taking an Italian bike to South America, he's either very brave or very st.... optimistic and possibly has a chase vehicle full of replacement parts". 😋

• Thumbsup 3

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

What are you planning on riding in SA? 

Sounds exciting! 

I get it, though.  A hard reality of the Tracer is it'll *never* be a good off road bike.  I can see setting it up for 80/20 - allowing for the odd well maintained dirt road - but it'd never be good at it.  If you're already really experienced offroad that may be fine, but for an rookie... Just seems like it's be handicapping yourself. 

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
13 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

80/20 - allowing for the odd well maintained dirt road - but it'd never be good at it

I can confirm - it's not.  I rode ~20 km (round trip) on gravel with my dad early this summer (a small diversion from a much longer, multi-day trip), and it was anything but stable in the loose gravel.  Granted, I didn't have the tires for it, either, but I could tell straight away that the 17" front just wasn't cutting it.

Good luck on your new adventures, @Salish900!

• Thumbsup 2

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

On 9/20/2021 at 10:01 PM, Wintersdark said:

What are you planning on riding in SA? 

Sounds exciting! 

I get it, though.  A hard reality of the Tracer is it'll *never* be a good off road bike.  I can see setting it up for 80/20 - allowing for the odd well maintained dirt road - but it'd never be good at it.  If you're already really experienced offroad that may be fine, but for an rookie... Just seems like it's be handicapping yourself. 

We are planning to pick up our rental bikes in Santiago and then head south on the wet side down as far as we wish, and then back up the dry side. About 3 weeks. We travel by making our plans in the sand at low tide😁

• Thumbsup 3
  • Haha 1

• 3 months later...

Well, the market is quiet right now as I've not even had one serious party since I posted the bike. It's winter I guess. Now in the market for my wife to get her second bike to practice with me. Not much is more fun than shopping for bikes! And my oh my, the flood of bikes in the 500-650 cc range is mind blowing. Take your pick for less than 10K.

• 1 month later...

Final update: Took earnest money on the bike today and it's sold. Nice local guy who knows what he wants and sees how my bike is fully outfitted and for a great price. I'm happy with my Moto Guzzi Stelvio right now, and will keep it for the gravel road practice I need to do for South America. But here sooner or later, I'll be going back to a purely street bike and want more HP. I can't stop wanting a S1000XR...

I'll miss this community, and wish you all the best. What an awesome machine the 900 is. A true gem. Keep up the good times here folks. 

• Thumbsup 3
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member

Congrats, I guess, because we don't like losing a brother.

Amazed it took so long to sell especially in today's crazy market.

How much did he steal it from you for?

Check in again once in a while.

The XR is a great bike but Guzzi has the Mandello 1100 coming out, and if it's all it's cracked up to be, I wish I had the discretionary funds!!!

• Thumbsup 2

7 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Congrats, I guess, because we don't like losing a brother.

Amazed it took so long to sell especially in today's crazy market.

How much did he steal it from you for?

Check in again once in a while.

The XR is a great bike but Guzzi has the Mandello 1100 coming out, and if it's all it's cracked up to be, I wish I had the discretionary funds!!!

Thanks, and yes, it's a hard part of forums when you develop digital and sometimes personal friendships and then sell the bike and need to join another forum to know how to fix the damn thing. This has been the most helpful and least vitriolic bike forum I've ever been on. Lots of great folks here. I'll still visit once in a while. 

You are right about that V100 being a gorgeous bike. If it take side cases and the rider triangle is more Italian and less Japanese, that will be a bonus. Too many bikes, too little time and money! 

I sold my Tracer for what I was asking, which was a steal. I was into the bike for something over $12K in purchase and upgrades.