Workshop manual efficiency

petshark

This is the first bike on which I do all servicing myself and I'm still looking for an efficient way to keep track of what I've done. A real book or an excel sheet are valid options but I've been messing with an app that also tells you about the next services etc.

The app is called bikeminder (iOS) and has service schedules for all kinds of vehicles but unfortunately the Tracer is not in there and it's not really all that great.

Does anyone know of an app or even web-based tool that contains the actual service schedule for our bikes? (2019 GT Europe)

If not other tips are also welcome.

• Supporting Member

I'm not aware of anything that specific, but I use aCar (Android/iOS/web - fuelly.com) to track all of my vehicles - cagers and otherwise.  You have to manually input your service intervals, but there are enough pre-defined categories that you don't have to create too many custom entries.

For example, here is the data so far for my FJ:

Unfortunately, you can't see the reminders (service intervals) unless you're logged in to the site. I only have one reminder (for this vehicle); brake fluid flush (because I did one this spring, so now it's something I'd want to keep track of).  So far oil change reminders aren't required - they're performed every fall; chain clean about every tank or two.  I do plan on entering in a few more reminders, of course, from the manual.  I try to log as much detail about various services as possible.  All you need to do - consistently - is enter every fill up:  volume, cost, and odometer, as well as input any receipts for service performed and odo too of course.  The app does the rest.  This does add about a minute to every fill up, but I keep a pen handy and just write the ODO on the receipt and enter it in later in the day if I'm in a real hurry.  Minor chore.

Here's one of my cagers with literally years of data & reminders.

Hopefully that gives you the idea, and at least something to consider.

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Supporting Member

I have considered the 'Bike Maintenance Lab' app, but haven't had time to check it out properly. Seems to check all the boxes, even though it is for other makes/models I wonder if it can be tweaked for the Tracer since 'The latest version supports custom maintenance events' ?

Bike Maintenance Lab

Someone posted a schedule earlier but I could not update the mileage and date after download. It seemed like a good solution.

I just made a blank table in Word and write the maintenance in. Each bike has it's own folder where I store all receipts along with the Maintenance sheet.Easy Peasy!

Edited by Mattf
  • Thumbsup 1

1 hour ago, Mattf said:

I just made a blank table in Word and write the maintenance in. Each bike has it's own folder where I store all receipts along with the Maintenance sheet.Easy Peasy!

^^^ this....I'm not tech savvy so a hand write in form with date, mileage, performance done type of log in a binder with room for any/all receipts is what I do.  

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, Mattf said:

I just made a blank table in Word and write the maintenance in. 

I do the same with any bike I own.  Date, mileage and description of maintenance performed. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately the Bike Maintenance Lab app is not available on iOS. I was already using fuelly.com to track my mileage and had not noticed the option to add maintenance as well. I was looking for something more automated though if I could find it.

I have a coding background so while looking into that excel sheet I discovered a more evolved version on a Honda forum. I will modify that for the Tracer and share it when I'm ready. It's real easy to enter data and it keeps track of the official yamaha schedule in combination with the previous maintenance to give exact times and ODO's where the next job is supposed to be done.

• Like 1

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, petshark said:

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately the Bike Maintenance Lab app is not available on iOS.

I spoke to the developer of the Bike Maintenance Lab App and got the following response.

Thanks for sending me the service manuals. OK, if you say there's keen interest by the Yamaha community I will put this into my dev. pipeline. I will most likely get to it in a couple of months, as I'm overwhelmed by ongoing projects at work... 

Cheers and happy riding!

Peter Bojkov - pbojkov@gmail.com

I'm sure Peter would be happy to accept any data that could help him add the Tracer to his app. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
15 hours ago, petshark said:

I have a coding background so while looking into that excel sheet I discovered a more evolved version on a Honda forum. I will modify that for the Tracer and share it when I'm ready. It's real easy to enter data and it keeps track of the official yamaha schedule in combination with the previous maintenance to give exact times and ODO's where the next job is supposed to be done.

I use an excel sheet as well but it is only a straight data entry type and I refer to it as necessary - much like the Word table as described by others.

Your flash modified Honda Excel one is something I'd be keen to see.

Looking forward to developments 👍